Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

1. Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue where Dynamixel Manager cannot find any of my Dynamixel AX12 servos. I am using a USB2Dynamixel set to TTL. This connects to a 6 Port AX/MX Power Hub that is connected to a 12V 1A wall wart (that I verified works correctly). The Dynamixel is connected to this hub as well.

My current FTDI driver for the port is at 2.4.6 (I read that 2.8.2 and above can cause issues).

I am connecting the servos one at a time.

I am using brand new cables and a brand new hub ordered here from Trossen.

Dynamixel Wizard from Robotis CAN find the servo. However, Dynamixel Manager (from the USB2Dynamixel SDK), and any of the example programs cannot.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks,
    Luke

Images

Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

12V1A is insufficient to power more than one AX-12, and may still have issues powering that servo under any sort of load. 12V5A is the recommended minimum for reliable operation.

The most likely issue with the SDK examples is an incorrectly set baudrate in the example code. Not sure about Dynamixel Manager, since I don't think I've ever used it before (is it the trossen program primarily for use with the arbotix?).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh
    more bleh

3. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    12V1A is insufficient to power more than one AX-12, and may still have issues powering that servo under any sort of load. 12V5A is the recommended minimum for reliable operation.

The most likely issue with the SDK examples is an incorrectly set baudrate in the example code. Not sure about Dynamixel Manager, since I don't think I've ever used it before (is it the trossen program primarily for use with the arbotix?).
    There is absolutely no load on the servo, I am just trying to find it. I am also only hooking up one at a time.

Dynamixel Manager is the program in the SDK that searches what servos are available. It is exactly like Dynamixel Wizard except that you cannot manipulate the servo once it is found.

I would trust that the SDK examples would have the correct baud rate, since they are the official ones. However, Dynamixel Manager not finding the servos is what I am currently focusing on.

Images

Did you download the dynamixel sdk for your version of windows straight from the robotis support site, or did you get it from the 'windows binary inside a zip file' on the trossen product page for the USB2Dynamixel? The official robotis examples appear to use the default AX baudrate of 1Mbps, but I've no idea about anything in the trossen binary and its Dynamixel Manager. If it is mixing 32-bit and 64-bit binaries, then it is a recipe for disaster.

A 12V0.4A SMPS caused many problems for me just testing arbotix code with an AX-12 sitting freely on a table, so you may still want to upgrade the power supply since the current ratings of cheap wall-warts tend to be a bit optimistic.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    bleh
    more bleh

5. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

Did you download the dynamixel sdk for your version of windows straight from the robotis support site, or did you get it from the 'windows binary inside a zip file' on the trossen product page for the USB2Dynamixel? The official robotis examples appear to use the default AX baudrate of 1Mbps, but I've no idea about anything in the trossen binary and its Dynamixel Manager. If it is mixing 32-bit and 64-bit binaries, then it is a recipe for disaster.

A 12V0.4A SMPS caused many problems for me just testing arbotix code with an AX-12 sitting freely on a table, so you may still want to upgrade the power supply since the current ratings of cheap wall-warts tend to be a bit optimistic.
    How much current do you recommend? Remember, this is one servo, no load.

6. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

Ok, tried it with a 12V 4A power supply. If 4A isn't enough then Dynamixels aren't going to be practical in general. No luck. I am using the SDK from the Trossen product page. There is no Dynamixel Manager in the robotis page, nor any Java support. Any recommendation on getting support from Trossen about this issue, since it is their code?

Images

The only code related to dynamixel management that I saw on the trossen github page is dynaManager which requires an arbotix to work, so you probably want to send a pm to kgranat since he appears to be gatekeeper for things not related to Intel robots.
    bleh
    more bleh

Images

I've contacted Kyle and made him aware of the situation. When he has a moment he will hopefully jump in to help.

Hi,
    Trossen Robotics doesnt make the USB2DYNAMIXEL and we don't manage any of the DYNAMIXEL SDK or USB2DYNAMIXEL code (we do have a piece of java software called the DynaManager, but that it totally dependent on the ArbotiX and not related to the USB2DYNAMIXEL of the DYNAMIXEL SDK)

I'd recommend taking a look at the ROBOTIS information on the USB2DYNAMIXEL and DYNAMIXEL SDK. The support.robotis site always has the latest information.
    http://support.robotis.com/en/produc...dxl_manual.htm
    http://support.robotis.com/en/software/dynamixelsdk.htm

As far as I know there is no support/examples for the DYNAMIXEL SDK in java. What exactly is your end goal?

10. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

Hi Kyle, thank you for joining this thread.

I guess I'm a bit confused that Trossen Robotics doesn't support Dynamixel, since the USB2Dynamixel install exe on your site is very different from the SDK downloads provided on Robotis's site. The zip file on Robotis's site does not have a jni dll, Java example code, or the Dynamixel Manager, which the installation exe on the Trossen Robotics site installs when run. Can you explain the discrepancy? Possibly where the exe on your site came from? If the exe on your site is not supported, and Robotis does not support Java, I feel you should remove references to Java from your USB2Dynamixel product page, as it was why I bought the Dynamixel products in the first place. I would also replace the exe download with a link to robotis, as it seems that the dynamixel manager in the exe does not work any more and is not supported.

As for my end goal, I am working on a pan/tilt mechanism for my human-sized robot. You can view details of him here.
    http://www.letsmakerobots.com/robot/project/rt-01

I have a dynamixel AX-12A servo for each axis, and the plan was to drive these with my custom-built Java program that I use for controlling the robot. I was able to get this working, as can be seen in one of the videos, but something happened and now I can't get anything using the Dynamixel SDK to see the servos. I am using Windows XP, and I rolled back my FTDI driver to 2.4.6, as I read on the forums that newer drivers can cause problems. His pan/tilt mechanism are custom hand-machined parts, and I would hate to have to go back to the drawing board and try to use regular hobby servos instead.

I am trying to find if anyone else is having trouble using the Dynamixel Manager provided by your website, but I'm not having any luck.

Thread Information