Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

Images

Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

So I will jump in here to add a bit of info to at least clarify the driver stuff. Robotis added Java to their USB2Dynamixel SDK in version 1.03. Which is what Trossen and a few others have available for download on their sites. For some reason and I can't seem to find a reason the link they have on their website is only for version 1.02 which doesn't have the Java API.

Although it sounds like this worked at one time? So let's start there...

Has the code changed in any way since it last worked? If so do you have an older revision you could roll back to for testing?

Any errors?

2. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

I've got some e-mails out to ROBOTIS about the SDK, so I'll try to get you some more info as soon as possible.

Is your USB2DYNAMIXEL coming up as a COM port? If it is not, you should take a look at this link
    http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/34-...ober-2014.html

3. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

Quote Originally Posted by kgranat View Post
    I've got some e-mails out to ROBOTIS about the SDK, so I'll try to get you some more info as soon as possible.

Is your USB2DYNAMIXEL coming up as a COM port? If it is not, you should take a look at this link
    http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/34-...ober-2014.html

Yes, USB2Dynamixel comes up as COM3.

4. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    So I will jump in here to add a bit of info to at least clarify the driver stuff. Robotis added Java to their USB2Dynamixel SDK in version 1.03. Which is what Trossen and a few others have available for download on their sites. For some reason and I can't seem to find a reason the link they have on their website is only for version 1.02 which doesn't have the Java API.

Although it sounds like this worked at one time? So let's start there...

Has the code changed in any way since it last worked? If so do you have an older revision you could roll back to for testing?

Any errors?
    There is no code to roll back to. Nothing in the code changed between working and not working. It just does not find any servos. What's more alarming is that DynamixelManager, which is an exe in the SDK, does not find any servos either. Hopefully Kyle's emails to Robotis can help educate us about the missing v1.03 support.

5. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

So basically anything Java can't communicate to the servos?

Just throwing this out there, but maybe the recent Java updates broke something?

Images

That's a good point baronaaron. When was the last update of Java? I noticed you are using windows XP and since it had its EOL as of April of this year. It is possible Oracle doesn't even test any changes on Windows XP any more. Just a guess since I'm don't use Windows, I use Linux.

7. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

That's a good point baronaaron. When was the last update of Java? I noticed you are using windows XP and since it had its EOL as of April of this year. It is possible Oracle doesn't even test any changes on Windows XP any more. Just a guess since I'm don't use Windows, I use Linux.
    DynamixelManager in the SDK is not Java, AFAIK

Images

Ok so let us refresh a bit:

Dynamixel Wizard you say can see the servos. I assume you can move them around with the Wizard, verify their ID's and baud rate. Making sure they are not set somehow to a different baud rate or ID correct?

And somehow, yet to be determined they simply stopped working when you try to run them with the Java SDK. Correct?

(Just trying to get a new baseline to the issue.)

9. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

My contact at ROBOTIS is not familiar with the Dynamixel Manager or the 1.0.3 files. He says based on the Readme, they must be really old SDK files from 2008. I'm guessing that ROBOTIS restarted they're numbering or something and that's why we're now at 1.0.2.

1.0.3/Dynamixel Manager are no longer supported (I've updated our pages to reflect that) That being said, I installed the 1.0.3 zip
    on a Windows XP machine (32 bit) running JDE 7 and was able to build and run ScanDynamixel.java. It was able to locate an AX-12 attached to it. I couldn't find The Dynamixel Manager you mentioned..

Does your USB2DYNAMIXEL work with the Dynamical Wizard still? Does it still have a product and vendor ID in device manager?

Here are some other links I came across
    http://www.lukeallen.com/AX12robotleg.html
    https://code.google.com/p/simple-dyn...2.zip&can=2&q=

10. Re: Dynamixel Manager cannot find servos

Ok so let us refresh a bit:

Dynamixel Wizard you say can see the servos. I assume you can move them around with the Wizard, verify their ID's and baud rate. Making sure they are not set somehow to a different baud rate or ID correct?

And somehow, yet to be determined they simply stopped working when you try to run them with the Java SDK. Correct?

(Just trying to get a new baseline to the issue.)
    Dynamixel Wizard can see the servos. I havent' tried moving them, but I hook up one at a time. Id is 1, and Baud Rate is 1 Mbps.

I built a program using the Java part of the Dynamixel SDK to connect to the servos and move them. This worked, then stopped working.

So I backtracked and started trying to get the base examples in the SDK to work. No dice.

So backtracked farther, and ran the Dynamixel Manager (not to be confused with wizard), which is an EXE provided in the SDK. From what I gather, it is the SDK's version of the wizard. Does not see a servo, even though Dynamixel Wizard WILL see it with the same setup.

Thread Information