Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mech Warfare 2015

Images

Re: Mech Warfare 2015

Count me in most likely.

Images

I could probably make it out for this too.

The Columbia team will be ready with our new bot, and I hope to compete with a renovated Hal. Similar issues with lack of a scoring system.

I'm in if Chicago isn't happening this year (if it is then maybe). I'll be able to show up on Friday to help out as well.

Images

I am thrilled with the level of interest this event has received so far. I am basically organizing this from scratch so I apologize if things seem to be a bit disorganized. I promise I do have it together for the most part.

I would like to give a breakdown for how I am hoping registration will work. I believe that this method will cause the least amount of confusion in the long run.
    Over the holiday break I will be working to get a registration page setup. This will serve two purposes. The first to give me a head count, and the second to establish a protocol for future MW event registrations. Please keep in mind that this registration procedure is strictly for Mech-Warfare related registration and does not take into account host competitions, ie RoboGames.

Registration will essentially proceed as follows.

1. Pre-registration- gives teams special login to the MW registration page

2. Register team- this one is pretty self explanatory, teams can have multiple mechs, if you are competing with just one mech you have just one team.

3. Register mech- This will consist of registering the specs of your mech; weight (kg), number of legs, DOF, weapons, scoring system status (do you have panels/transponder), etc. These details will allow us to compile a competitor database, and also give us an idea of the number of competitors we will have at each event.

4. Qualifying video- once the mech has been registered you have two weeks until the competition to submit a video qualifying your mech as a competitor in the bracket event. If you do not submit a video you will still be allowed to compete in exhibition matches but your wins and losses will not count to any ranking system that may be established at a later time.

5. Tech inspection- this will occur at the event. I will be overseeing this with the help of selected TRC members/volunteers.

6.Qualification run- as always after the tech inspection each mech is expected to complete a qualification run. The results of this run will determine your seeding in the bracket.

This layout is experimental and subject to change based on input from other event organizers. I am using Shep Robofest a test to establish a more uniform way for serious competitors to run events in the future.

This registration will also likely include a way for you to signify whether or not you need a scoring system. Obviously registering early means that we will be able to get you the scoring equipment that you need at an earlier date. If you take to long registering you may not be able to compete as a result of not giving us enough time to supply you with a full scoring system.

As always I look forward to your feedback, as my ultimate goal is to provide a solid experience for all involved, and promote the growth of MW as a competition.

That will be super great!
    Are you doing this only for Shep for 2015, or are you also talking to the RoboGames people?
    Anything I can do to help? (PM me if you want)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    That will be super great!
    Are you doing this only for Shep for 2015, or are you also talking to the RoboGames people?
    Anything I can do to help? (PM me if you want)
    As of now this is something I will be doing specifically with Shep in mind, however if the feedback from the MW community is positive based on the results from this up coming competition I see no reason why this system couldn't be adopted for MW as a whole. I essentially envision us having a registration system in place on the MW website that will allow competitors to qualify for whichever officially sanctioned event they choose. This would also allow us to adopt a points system similar to that used by NASCAR ( yeah I know I went there, but it works so I will use the analogy).

Let's say you register your mech on the site, go through the qualification procedure and compete in an event. You are then pre-qualified to compete in any other event that year with the only expectation being that you do the tech inspection and final qualifying test at the subsequent competitions. This system would also in theory allow us to keep track of each team's/mech's individual match and competition statistics, essentially giving us the ability to rank each registered mech based on the performance at events throughout the year.

I was going to pull from the little fish tank of programmers I have at my disposal at school to get this project under way however if anyone already actively involved in the MW community would be interested in stepping up to help I would be more than happy to accept their help.

I just finished a course at school on web design. You need any help, let me know. (I can work with html, dreamweaver, and flash).

I'll try to get my mech there.
    Last edited by ArduTank; 12-02-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Images

I really should start reading this forum more often! I need to see what it'll take to get my new mech up and walking but this is a good goal for me to shoot for!
    Last edited by jes1510; 12-29-2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Deleted quote that ate waaay too much space
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

I keep getting emails from robogames 2015. I am tempted to sign up again, but will there be any mech warrior class this year? Will anyone here be attending with their mech?

Thread Information