Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My next hexapod project, codename BMX

Images

Re: My next hexapod project, codename BMX

Hi,

Thanks for your advice about CAD Jwatte. Another option would be the student edition, only problem is that I'm not a student.. Do they really check that?

I don't think bending the tibia would cause problem to the servo, like you said they are flush to the servo flanges, and will bend below/after that.

Thanks for you tip about the foot Kevin. I would really like to see a perfect round foot though. Looking at other options on your link I found this one looking very interesting:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	318624.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	5759
    I wonder what the dimensions are for this one?
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Images

Anyway, I think I'll try the bumper I got from DigiKey some months ago.

Name:	SJ-5017 (BLACK).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	5760
    My plan is to stick them onto the top of the tars section that contains of these parts. I'm also using a long 3mm screw to hold the parts together.

Name:	BMX Tars 04.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	5761
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Zenta View Post
    I think I'll stick to Teensy at first and at a later stage move over to a more sophisticated platform(s)..
    FP would certainly help though. Kurt, are you planning to make a new board for that, when it is available?
    I am not sure if I fully answered this yet. I am planning to, my guess is it will be a killer little processor... Extracts from the teensy thread on what will probbly be in this version:

My current plan for Teensy++ 3.1 has 48 "outside" pins, where the 28 on the left side (the USB side) very closely mimic Teensy 3.1's pinout. The idea is you could put the new board into a project originally using Teensy 3.1, assuming there's room for the extra 1 inch of PCB to hang over. Or if you design something with Teensy++ 3.1 and later want to step down to a less expensive board, the others will be mostly pin compatible.
    First of all, the low cost board is coming first, based on a Kinetis L-series chip. I know many of you want higher performance hardware, and that will happen, but I feel it's important to get a solid product out that really allows good 32 bit Arduino compatibility at approx $12 retail.

Teensy++ 3.1 will definitely not be released this year. The simple truth is I've spent most of this year on software. Hopefully a lot of good has come from all that effort, but it has pushed back plans for new hardware.

Until recently, I had planned on using the K22 chip. The K22 very well may still be used. In fact, I have a (not yet working) K22-based prototype on my desk right now.

However, I'm seriously considering delaying Teensy++ 3.x, for a new chip Freescale will be releasing next year. Obviously I can't talk about anything that's under NDA. But I can tell you I have only minimal technical info (not a datasheet or reference manual), but what info I do have says it will be very well worth the wait!

Freescale and ARM have already made press releases about Cortex-M7 coming soon. So far, I don't have pretty much any technical info about it, other than what's publicly available. But it certainly looks like it's going to be awesome... and perhaps worth delaying a Teensy++ 3.x board?
    Many of the M7's features are optional, much like M4. But I'm really hoping for a FPU that supports double.

I'm *really* excited by some of the other optional features, though it may be a few years until we see semiconductor manufacturers using 20-some nm silicon processer for microcontrollers (eg, clock speeds approaching 1 GHz). In the near term, we're probably going to get only 200 to 400 MHz speeds.
    So as I mentioned, this for sure sounds like something I will probably want to play with

A Teensy with hardware FPU (even for 32-bit floats) would be the awesome!

For the $10 price point, it's hard to beat the OpenCM 9.04...

Images

Thanks for posting the information Kurt, it sure sounds worth waiting for the next Teensy++ 3.x.

I think I'm more or less finished designing the first MX hexapod. I've played with different styles for the body top plate.

Name:	BMX small body options 2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	5774
    I might go for B or C. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Images

I'd pick C. One thing I regret on the 64 Hex is that I didn't plan on any additions so any new cables have to be run around the edge to the sensors on the top. Having those gaps to run wire might come in handy.

Also if I can make a suggestion.. I wouldn't wrap all the way around the servo. I've had to remove a leg or two and I really liked I could slide the leg out without removing the top or bottom. Here is a pic from way back when of some of the body parts so you can see what I mean.

Name:	bodyParts(1).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	5775

Images

In case you are curious Length is 30cm and width is 10cm.

I wouldn't wrap all the way around the servo.
    + infinity!

Having to remove the plate from ALL the servos just to get at ONE of the servos is a right pain. I made that mistake on an early iteration of Onyx, and I quickly learned from that experience.

Your designs look nice.

Note: with the current PhantomX hexapod plates, I have found the new optional top plate to be handy as it allows me to easily add the battery below it (and remove it after I kill it )

As for the new Teensy and carrier board for it, will have to wait and see what the holes and like are on it and also what features I/we want on it. Things like, build in more advanced sound stuff like his add on board or stay with simple built in speaker. AX Buss- yes, How many 3 pin connections... If I want to use for IO board connected up to main processor. Use USB to communicate? Or something else (SPI, I2C, ...). XBee?

Will be fun.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    I'd pick C. One thing I regret on the 64 Hex is that I didn't plan on any additions so any new cables have to be run around the edge to the sensors on the top. Having those gaps to run wire might come in handy.

Also if I can make a suggestion.. I wouldn't wrap all the way around the servo. I've had to remove a leg or two and I really liked I could slide the leg out without removing the top or bottom.
    Awesome, thanks for your input guys!

I suppose you mean something like this Kevin:

Name:	BMX small body mod 08.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	5776

As for replacing the battery, I'm planning a similar solution as I did for A-Pod.

Name:	APod Batt holder.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	5777
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Thread Information