Thread: stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

1. stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

Hi There!

I'm totaly new to Robotics and Microcontrollers and in my first project i want to build something similar as a Pan/Tilt/rotate Plattform. I'm thinking about using the Open CM 9.04-B which controlls 3 AX-12A's (or maybe 3 MX12W's)

But how do i power it without using LiPo's ? i dont really want to start by cutting and soldering cables. SMPS2Dynamixel ? but then what is the power switch for ? And in this case - do i still need the microUSB to power the board ?

Thanks!

Images

Re: stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

The switch is for controlling power supplied by two 1S LiPo batteries connected to the two 2-pin JST-PH headers. If you want to control AX or MX servos with a 3S LiPo, you will need to connect the LiPo pack to either the 0.1" headers marked VIN+/VDD_IN and VIN- (which will be controlled by the switch), or connect the pack through a DXL hub or SMPS2Dynamixel. The traces on the OpenCM904 are not very heavy duty, so you will probably want to go with a DXL hub or SMPS2Dynamixel if you are planning to have the servos running at high load. If you supply any external power to the OpenCM904 of more than ~6V then you should not need to connect USB except for communications.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

3. Re: stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

ok, great!

thanks for the answer!

Re: stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

I agree with Tician -- power it through a hub. The hub will in turn power the OpenCM, so you only need the USB for communication.
    (FWIW, this is what I do on Onyx 7)

Thread Information