Thread: stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

1. stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

Hi There!

I'm totaly new to Robotics and Microcontrollers and in my first project i want to build something similar as a Pan/Tilt/rotate Plattform. I'm thinking about using the Open CM 9.04-B which controlls 3 AX-12A's (or maybe 3 MX12W's)

But how do i power it without using LiPo's ? i dont really want to start by cutting and soldering cables. SMPS2Dynamixel ? but then what is the power switch for ? And in this case - do i still need the microUSB to power the board ?

Thanks!

Images

Re: stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

The switch is for controlling power supplied by two 1S LiPo batteries connected to the two 2-pin JST-PH headers. If you want to control AX or MX servos with a 3S LiPo, you will need to connect the LiPo pack to either the 0.1" headers marked VIN+/VDD_IN and VIN- (which will be controlled by the switch), or connect the pack through a DXL hub or SMPS2Dynamixel. The traces on the OpenCM904 are not very heavy duty, so you will probably want to go with a DXL hub or SMPS2Dynamixel if you are planning to have the servos running at high load. If you supply any external power to the OpenCM904 of more than ~6V then you should not need to connect USB except for communications.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

3. Re: stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

ok, great!

thanks for the answer!

Re: stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

I agree with Tician -- power it through a hub. The hub will in turn power the OpenCM, so you only need the USB for communication.
    (FWIW, this is what I do on Onyx 7)

Thread Information