Thread: Here's my Robot Rover

1. Talking Here's my Robot Rover

I'm presenting my Robot Rover - Sentinel!

For more info : http://www.itnx.com/robots/rover-robot-sentinel/

I'll be happy to answer any questions!

WooRobot

Re: Here's my Robot Rover

Wheels driven by stepper motors?
    Also, are the stereo cameras shutter/genlocked?
    What is the onboard computer?

3. Re: Here's my Robot Rover

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Wheels driven by stepper motors?
    Also, are the stereo cameras shutter/genlocked?
    What is the onboard computer?
    Wheels rolls with 6x 12VDC 152RPM 20.8oz-in Spur Gear Head Motor. I was surprise how powerful they are, but hey, it's a 6 wheels drive! The 4 Stepper Motors are only for direction. They rotate the wheel like a Mars rover.

For cameras, I used 2 different types, in the HEAD, they are 2x wireless webcam, and the one in the body it's a simple wire USB webcam. Today, i would just put 3 wire USB webcam, the wireless webcam don't have enough range compare to the WiFi adapter so I only use the webcam in the body to drive.

All connected to a Phidgets SBC2 board with a WiFi adapter, the Rover is controlled remotely with a computer.

in the HEAD, they are 2x wireless webcam
    The ad copy on your site claims that this is a stereo camera. For a stereo camera, being able to synchonize the shutters is important (as is knowing the exact geometry of the mount, and the optics of the lens.)
    Also, the copy on your site claims the computer is on-board. You might want to update that :-)

I like the idea of using stepper motors for steering. Is there an index sensor of some sort, so I can know when they face forward, or do I have to calibrate them on start-up?

5. Re: Here's my Robot Rover

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    The ad copy on your site claims that this is a stereo camera. For a stereo camera, being able to synchonize the shutters is important (as is knowing the exact geometry of the mount, and the optics of the lens.)
    Also, the copy on your site claims the computer is on-board. You might want to update that :-)

I like the idea of using stepper motors for steering. Is there an index sensor of some sort, so I can know when they face forward, or do I have to calibrate them on start-up?
    Here's the text from this page:
    http://www.itnx.com/robots/qibo-talking-robot/
    "There are also two cameras located in the head. The robot then sends a 2-channel live feed to the software. The feed can be merged to create an Anaglyph 3D video which can be viewed through 3D glasses with red/cyan lenses." It's the same principle for Sentinel but with the wired webcams. The software included with Sentinel do not include the Anaglyph 3D video, but that could be arrange.

There is a computer on-board but we only use it to connect all components and control them by remote. You could make java app and run it locally.

The wheels have to face forward when you powerup. A stepper encoder could be added but it's not a big deal. just make the wheels strait! If the wheels are off, you could also calibrate them in the software after powerup. I will try to add a screenshot of the software that is included with Sentinel! I should have done it..
    Last edited by WooRobot; 01-20-2015 at 01:51 PM.

anaglyph
    No, actually, that web site says this:

2 cameras for stereoscopic vision
    I take this to mean actual, calibrated, stereo.

it's not a big deal. just make the wheels strait
    It sounds to me like your goal is not to build a system that is actually robust under real-life conditions?
    In real life, stepper motors slip.
    Systems reboot while on the move.
    Even during start-up, keeping the wheels "straight" requires some kind of fixture -- eyeballing it won't make the robot actually go straight to the point that wheel encoders would give me proper location.
    For $12k, I'd expect problems like these to actually be solved for me :-)

(Hmm -- do you have wheel encoders? I don't see them mentioned, so I guess not?)

Thread Information