Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darwin Mini and RoboPlus Task

Darwin Mini and RoboPlus Task

Hi there,
    some very basic newcomer question:
    I recently purchased a Darwin Mini, and after toying around with R+ Motion I am ready to do some more.
    But: As this is mostly the toy of my 10year old son, I really need to have the chance to restore the standard movements within a moment.
    So what I am concerned about: Will downloads of a RoboPlus Task - Program erase the previosly stored moves or will these two coexist? I am quite sure, that if I start a Task, and this is not polling the serial for any input) the task will run, and the moves will no longer be accessible (via bluetooth), even if they are not deleted. Am I right? So how would I restore the "basic task" (of responding to bluetooth communication)?

If the moves will be erased on a download of a RoboPlus Task: Can I restore them easily with R+ Motion (downloading the default moves to restore factory settings?)

Has anyone experienced any difficulties?

Is there an IDE out that offers the chance of doing some serious programming (keeping in mind that I need to be "ad hoc restorable")? The RoboPlus Task is, well no comment, I'm used to use eclipse... (I'm professional software engineer).

Thanks in advance
    Det

Images

Re: Darwin Mini and RoboPlus Task

The firmware on the OpenCM-904 stores the motion file and task program in two different locations in memory, so uploading new Task programs will not affect Motion files and uploading new Motion files will not affect Task programs. This permits re-use of motions between multiple Task programs, saves time as only the small Task program needs to be updated to drastically change behavior, and decreases wear of the OpenCM-904's FLASH memory by preventing unnecessary writes.

You can use RoboPlus Motion to save the existing motion file from the OpenCM-904 inside the Darwin-Mini onto your PC. In RoboPlus Motion 1.whatever, it was an option under 'File'->'Save as' when selecting the CM-whatever tab (tab showing live motion values stored on the CM-5/510/530/700) and would prompt you for a file name to use that would end in '.mtn'. In RoboPlus Motion 2.whatever, the option appears to be 'Save project as' after connecting/syncing the OpenCM-904 to RoboPlus Motion (where the window shows the existing motions stored on the OpenCM-904) and should prompt for a file name with extension of '.mtnx'. Have not used RoboPlus Motion 2.whatever, so take with a grain of salt.

Saving Task files was not possible when I last used RoboPlus, but maybe they changed that (probably not).

All else fails, you can able upload the default Task program and Motion file to the OpenCM-904 using RoboPlus Task and Motion and start over from scratch. The default Motion file and Task program for the Darwin-Mini are located here under 'Download'.

As for other IDEs, you can use Eclipse with the gcc-arm-none-eabi (gcc ARM baremetal) toolchain for the STM32. The CM-530 is the closest relative of the CM-904 with an existing gcc software framework, but they have different MCUs and significantly different schematics. There is the OpenCM IDE, but all of the firmware is built around the rather abysmal Maple core. It works well enough for most purposes, but the USB code will need a lot of work to function relatively error-free at higher data rates and the rest of the core is 'not pretty'. If you overwrite the Robotis firmware with your own firmware (which will overwrite all Task and Motion data), you can use RoboPlus Manager to re-upload the Robotis firmware.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Thanx for the answer, especially the part that Tasks & Motions are stored in different locations.

My only concern is: the Download file you linked to contained a mere sample task ("DARWIN-MINI_Example_en.tsk"). This does not seem to be the "default Task program" though the motions are the defaults. I thought that this default task must have some communication routines that call the default motions? Or is this communication-part already in the firmware (not likely)?

Images

Hmm... had not actually downloaded the example zip to verify prior to posting. Don't have an android phone or Darwin-Mini or RoboPlus 2.x, so kinda talking outta my ass, but it appears that the firmware uploaded to the OpenCM-904 by RoboPlus is what is actually interacting with the android app and not a Task program. Given the limitations of Task, that would make a lot of sense; powerful android app using a hidden interface to directly interact with the firmware (like RoboPlus Task, Motion, and Manager) instead of a crappy Task program run/emulated by the firmware (Task programs are actually run by the firmware a bit like a script).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    [git][mech][hack]

OK, I follow your thoughts of "crappy tasks" (which is what I thought as I first saw the so called "IDE"). I'll wait for someone elses ideas for some time (weekend is over and I will have to work for a living next days...) perhaps there are other suggestions. If not: No risk - no fun
    BTW: Is there any way of contacting robotis support per mail (their pages are not very verbose...)?

[email protected]

Also: The OpenCM 9.04 is only $15 if you want the connectors and can solder yourself; $20 if you want it pre-soldered.
    You could get a second one for your own use, and program it in C++ using the Arduino-derived IDE they use.
    The Dxl object allows you to read and write registers of all the servos by ID. You can go wild with software development :-)

Images

The OpenCM-904 'C' version in the Darwin-Mini is the same hardware as the 'A' and 'B', except for having Robotis' RoboPlus firmware pre-installed and four of the 'XL' molex headers instead of zero headers or two 'XL' and two 'AX/MX' headers. So, yeah, cheap enough to buy extras to experiment with, but swapping them out of the Darwin-Mini's frame would probably be a bit annoying.
    [git][mech][hack]

Yes, I already thought of having a spare OpenCM (affordable as it is) but came to the same result: I really do not want to switch them too often... But as for the extra possibilities: Would be charming to have a the possibility to connect whatever to the spare GPIO pins it offers.
    This was the plan for a far future and nothing I'd be starting with. My original plan was:
    1) Have my son playing with the Mini and let him remote control it
    2) Have my son learned how to teach in some motions. He already did and he was really proud that "Karlchen" as we call him (Karl is German for Charles) could sit down as a result.
    3) Wait until Karlchen is not longer of interest, or start to program some extra (glued a Lego plate to its arms, so we have an affordable expansion platform): to do so I thought of introducing "RoboTask": At this point I am stuck - merely cause I'm afraid to have to much hassle to get back to point #2 (dead sure I will have to, cause the results of the own motions is too valuable to my son).
    4) After Karlchen is no longer interesting: I had some weird ideas of extending Karlchen with some extra dcmotors, servos or even steppers, or carring an RaspPi for some extra computing-power, the RaspiCam and some projects involving OpenCV -> And this would be the time to buy the spare OpenCM board.

I'll give it a chance on sunday (perhaps..., so much to do, so little time): stay tuned

@jwatte: sry, saw your answer for my support-mail question too late. I'll check it out (bit afraid they'll claim "not in charge" for customers in europe...)

was just about too buy a spare OpenCM 9.04, but obviously that's quite difficult from germany (only rev 'B' available and out of stock in the only shop I've found...) and obviously no way to have the original firmware on that one (see: http://www.robotsource.org/bs/bd.php...orld&bt_id=690)

Hello again,
    finally I got it: found an european shop and purchased my spare OpenCM 9.04 Rev B.
    And as it was not really a surprise: I'm stuck when trying to restore the firmware it: Stuck at "Turn it of and on again".
    Help! Any idea of what to do now? Anyone?
    Thanx
    Det

Thread Information