Thread: Powering intel nuc.

1. Powering intel nuc.

Hello
    Can i power the intel nuc with a 3s lipo 8000mah with this voltage booster http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-30V-to-4-0-30V-DC-DC-Booster-Converter-Step-Up-Voltage-Regulator-LM2587-/130765962517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7242 3d15 ? If not please can someone tell me which one can i use? actually i read o a post some where on trossen but made a mistake by not checking the input current specification.

Images

Re: Powering intel nuc.

Yes you can.

Images

I used one for my hex and Intel NUC for a while.

4. Re: Powering intel nuc.

Really? Thanks. In the specs of the voltage booster it says input 5 amps max? I mean this wont make a difference yes because the 3s lipo supplies 8 amps?

the 3s lipo gives out 8 amps that wont matter yes?
    There are two mistakes here.

First: A battery doesn't "push" amperes. A battery "Pushes" voltage. Devices "pull" amperes. If the device pulls less than 5 amperes, there will not flow more than 5 amperes through the converter.

Second: The capacity of the battery is 8 Ah. That does NOT say anything about how good the battery is at providing amperes if a device pulls from it. It says that the battery can deliver a current of approximately 8 Amperes for one hour before it runs out. It could also approximately deliver 4 amperes for 2 hours. This is a measurement of energy storage. (You note that you have to multiply nominal voltage by amp-hour rating to get energy!)

Batteries have internal resistance. The more amperes you pull, the more voltage is lost inside the battery itself, which means that you lose effectively usable energy, and you heat the battery up. Some batteries, like 9V rectangular transistor radio batteries, or 1.5V AAA cells, are not very good at providing current -- they have high internal resistance. Some batteries, like high-energy RC hobby LiPo batteries, are very good at providing current -- they have low internal resistance. Thus, if you have a quadcopter that runs four motors, each of which pulls 20A, you will want a battery capable of providing 80A of current without overheating.

This rating is called the "C" rating. Specifically, a battery that has capacity X amp-hours, and a C rating of Y, will be able to provide X*Y amps without overheating, and will be able to do so for 1/Y hours, assuming that you draw the full load all the time. (When you don't, capacity time goes up.)

This is not complicated at all -- it all comes from Ohm's law and basic Newtonian laws of energy. Yet, almost nobody actually "gets" it at first. I don't know why, but that's how it is

6. Re: Powering intel nuc.

Ahhhh Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Well i didnt research that well but you made alot of concepts clear thank you once again.

Thread Information