Project Robie Rover is my current work in progress. The idea was to take an old Radio Shack Robie Jr. / Omnibot Jr. robot and replace the brains with a Raspberry Pi. And instead of a clunky remote I'd use my Android smart phone as a controller.

So far I've managed to get the ws2812 "eyes" functioning. I've also managed to get the basic control mechanism up and running. This includes Python control code on the Pi and Android/Java code on the phone.



As you can see Robie has some mobility, but is tethered to the wall. I'm still waiting on some parts from China before he can venture around the house unencumbered.

In the coming weeks I'll be working on an autonomous mode where he makes use of the ultrasonic ping sensor and the physical "bump" sensor.

I've been detailing my progress on my blog: http://robierover.blogspot.ca