Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome HR-OS1 Beta Testers! Introduce yourself

Images

Re: Welcome HR-OS1 Beta Testers! Introduce yourself

Hey all,

My name is Andrew, and I'm the lead engineer on the HR-OS1 project. I started working on humanoid robots about 6-7 years ago and have been chasing that dream ever since.

I'll be joining in the discussion on these forums to ensure you guys have a direct line to the engineers working on developing this project. We have a long way to go but I have very high hopes for this project!

One thing to note- please try to keep questions to specific threads on the topic, here we're just doing introductions!
    Andrew Dresner
    Principal Engineer
    Interbotix GIthub
    Interbotix Labs Google+

2. Re: Welcome HR-OS1 Beta Testers! Introduce yourself

LOL. Thanks for the laugh today. I went to add a picture of myself to the profile and found an avatar of an Omni-bot... WAY BETTER!

3. Re: Welcome HR-OS1 Beta Testers! Introduce yourself

Hi, I am Uli and a chemist by profession....just got my HR-OS1 now for a few weeks up and running and just starting to learn programming.....just for the fun of it

4. Re: Welcome HR-OS1 Beta Testers! Introduce yourself

Hi everyone! My name is John, and I have been wanting to build robots since 1977 when Starwars first came out. I have been playing with Arduinos, Raspberry Pis, 3D printers, and lasercutters for the last few years, and was lucky enough to be one of the last one to get an HR-OS1 beta kit. Should be fun!

Images

Hi,

Scientist, professor, learner, educator... that's me! I'm from Austin, and I'm a professor at The University of Texas at Austin. I've gotten interested in the HROS1 because I'm curious about the computational bottlenecks a robot like this would face, and so that I can build better microprocessors that can seamlessly handle the requirements without burning through the battery! I doubt anyone one of us wants our battery dying out while the robots in the future are doing some important task

6. Re: Welcome HR-OS1 Beta Testers! Introduce yourself

Hi,

I'm my name is Anmar, I'm a graduate student at the University of Virginia, I was one of the student in a Humanoid robots class last semester and I was so excited to get the kit so I finished the assembly withing 48 hours upon receiving the kit. My HROS1 name is Weebo (from Flubber for Robin Williams). My interests are to get to the kinematics of it and how to work with vision(the main idea to make it write on a 2d plane). So far we were able to install OpenCV and made it able to detect faces and interact by voice or by gestures. and I'm planning on working on it for at least the next 6 months, hoping to make something significant.

Hello,

I'm Irv, a 78 year old, retired computer engineer. Have built Lego(EV3) robots (Segway and Rubik Cube solver) and Robotis Bioloid Premium humanoid robot. Have used Arduino to give these projects speech and different modes of command. Recently completed "EZ Wilber" an EZ-Bv4 enhanced Lego Segway robot. My "EZ Lester" is a Robotis Bioloid Premium humanoid robot. This project is well underway. I have just 'purchased' an HR-OS1 kit and am looking forward to the build and enhancements.
    I am located in the San Diego North County area. My email address is: stafford.irvin@att.net

Images

Hi Everybody , I'm Robert , 50 yr old retired engineer and general 'Frankensteiner' of all sorts of 'tech' over the years ,,, and as of a few hrs ago , now the proud owner of an HR-OS1 (as yet unnamed , gonna have to 'chew' on that one for while ,,,)
    The other 'droids' ( Frank-e , OB-1 , Cockroach , and bits of others ) are looking down blankly at the pile of parts on the bench , not quite sure what to make of it all ,,, We'll see ...
    Personally , I'm looking forward to the 'build' , the Community and the whole interactive process from here on out , ( been a bit of a ghost around here for the last couple of yrs ,,, )

Hopefully might even have some meaningful input and not just a bunch of noob questions , lol ,,,

but for now , INVENTORY ,,, lets see just what we have here .

9. Re: Welcome HR-OS1 Beta Testers! Introduce yourself

Hi Everybody,

I'm Alex, 40 something, doing some mundane consulting work in IT space. I've been working on robots for about 3 years, with some early ones fully custom made with PIC processors and PWM servo's. About a year ago I got a Bioloid kit and played with it for a while but got soon disappointed by the limitations. I've been looking for some time to integrate Raspberry Pi and ROS into the picture - when you guys popped up!

Now I'm waiting for the delivery of an Arbotix Pro and the aluminium brackets and will start building the HR-OS1 with some twists. I have ordered some time ago some AX-18As (6 of them) that will be placed at the legs at the points with the highest torque demand.

I'm looking for stereo vision with a second Pi that would sit in the head (I think I will have a head more like Jimmy) and I'm also looking to include a proper audio amplifier so that the robot can talk. The USB cameras have microphones so, in theory, OpenCV should be able to use them for direction detection and also to integrate into a vocal command programm.

I will also probably include a 3.2'' display into the front chest that connects to the Raspberry Pi so that you can get some more information and interact without the need to SSH into it.

10. Re: Welcome HR-OS1 Beta Testers! Introduce yourself

Hi everyone!
    I go way back. My first computer was an Altair 8080. I was in the first meeting of the Homebrew Computer Club at Gordon French's home. I was in the class that designed RISC 1. I worked for the Computer Systems Research Group at UC Berkeley and helped develop Berkeley UNIX. I donated the MIPS BSD port to NetBSD. Now I work at Broadcom making all those Raspberry Pi. :-)
    I decided to buy a HR-OS1 because the design is open source and it looked like a fun project.
    I just got my HR-OS1 assembled and I'm able to ssh and run dxl_monitor scan and see all the motors.
    I see that after executing a command in dxl_monitor, the next command says the ID is invalid and I have to scan a couple of times before they all show up again.
    Now to start debugging! :-)

Thread Information