Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

1. Re: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

Glad we could help. Make sure to show us some videos when you get everything up and running!

2. Re: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

Quote Originally Posted by kgranat View Post
    Glad we could help. Make sure to show us some videos when you get everything up and running!
    Spoke too soon! haha, I modified the ArmLinkSerial to take strings of text and spilt them up into coordinates, so I'd send 010001000100 for (100,100,100), and that would move the robot.

So I thought I'd move onto trying to send it command packets with the original InterbotixArmLinkSerial uploaded to the board, doesn't seem to work. Connects to the board, but just outputs a smilie face symbol, so its laughing at me!

But yes if I get it working I'll upload a few videos.

3. Re: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

Do you have your baud set to 38400?

What are you using to send the command packets?

4. Re: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

I'm using this to send across the serial http://playground.arduino.cc/Interfa...sualStudio2008

Yes it wasn't working initially at all and I changed the baud, which allowed me to send the strings across. If I code up a program and upload it to the arbotix and create my own c++ code it works, but I can't seem to get it to work with the
    interbotixArmLinkSerial.

EDIT: Took out code.
    Last edited by EpicZa; 05-06-2015 at 06:28 AM.

5. Re: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your code looks like you're sending strings instead of bytes. So you're actually sending the ASCII characters "0xff' instead of the value 0xff

So if you take a look at the ArmLinkSoftware function for putting a packet together
    https://github.com/Interbotix/ArmLin....pde#L471-L524
    You'll notice that we're never dealing with strings of appending the '0x' to any characters. You might want to do that for your console output, but you want to send the raw values over the serial port.

Also, where are you setting your baud rate?

Are you working in visual studio or in another environment?

6. Re: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your code looks like you're sending strings instead of bytes. So you're actually sending the ASCII characters "0xff' instead of the value 0xff

So if you take a look at the ArmLinkSoftware function for putting a packet together
    https://github.com/Interbotix/ArmLin....pde#L471-L524
    You'll notice that we're never dealing with strings of appending the '0x' to any characters. You might want to do that for your console output, but you want to send the raw values over the serial port.

Also, where are you setting your baud rate?

Are you working in visual studio or in another environment?
    Yea I know that's why I deleted the post, I realised after I went back and checked, the output to console (you one you've linked) is cast to hex. So yea I was sending string hex, I'm learning along the way!

Sorry, I seem to always post and then realise what I've done wrong!

http://playground.arduino.cc/Interfa...sualStudio2008

this line
    Code:
    dcbSerialParams.BaudRate=CBR_9600; 
    I changed it.

Yes visual studio.

7. Re: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

No need to be sorry, this is how we all learn

I'm also always looking for better ways to explain to people sending raw values vs sending ascii. Since the Arduino IDE's console doesn't support sending raw values, it can be tricky to get your head around at first.

Any luck communicating with the arm?

8. Re: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

No need to be sorry, this is how we all learn

I'm also always looking for better ways to explain to people sending raw values vs sending ascii. Since the Arduino IDE's console doesn't support sending raw values, it can be tricky to get your head around at first.

Any luck communicating with the arm?
    Unfortunately not, 'in theory' this should work, and its not throwing any errors to the console, on occasion the arduino will send back "ffffffffff". Seems to do it some times and then just not bother.

Making progress but still not quite there!

If I get it working I'll definitely send you it to use as an example if you want.
    Last edited by EpicZa; 05-19-2015 at 08:52 AM.

9. Re: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

Are you able to export your program to some kind of executable? That way I can analyze the actual packets coming out of your program.

Also, can you e-mail me your order number for the arm?
    [email protected]

10. Re: Feeding Coordinates to Pincher Arm.

Are you able to export your program to some kind of executable? That way I can analyze the actual packets coming out of your program.

Also, can you e-mail me your order number for the arm?
    [email protected]

I fixed it thanks, its working.. for now..

Silly mistake was sending the header as "0xFF" as a string instead of just 0xFF so it was reading in the header as 4 chars 0, x, F, and F. Didn't even think to look there all this time!

Thread Information