Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HR-OS1 3D Models & 3D Printed Armor

Images

HR-OS1 3D Models & 3D Printed Armor

Models:
    Please note, as this is beta these models are nowhere near final.

Full STEP Model Download:
    https://github.com/Interbotix/HROS1-3D-Models

As a temporary measure, here's a link to a zip of all of the 3D Printed components on the Orion Armor model:

HR-OS1 Orion Armor STL Models

I have a new revision drop on the way, so again I must reiterate, use these for testing purposes only. We made some changes to the long AX brackets for final production run that I need to propagate through the 3d models we have hosted, along with the updated 3D shells for the femur and tibias. Expect this drop later this week.

SketchLab 3D Model Viewer:
    https://skfb.ly/CKso

Shapeways Interbotix Store:
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/interbotix

Printing:
    The current Orion Armor Set is likely not going to be able to be printed on a home printer without a good amount of part slicing and some clever orientation. I have a RepRap printer here at our lab and will be working on other character models that will be designed with home printers in mind as well.

Currently all of our printing is being done via Shapeways using the Strong, White, Flexible material which uses a Nylon laser sintered manufacturing process (as opposed to FDM printers @ home). This is an extremely lightweight and durable material that has been a preferred choice in our humanoid robots parts and armor. Stay tuned for an Interbotix Shapeways store which will have our main printed sets of armor up for sale @ cost.

Weight and payload considerations:
    I am in the process of putting together some hard real-world data on how much weight allowance is reasonable to expect on the HR-OS1 endoskeleton. I have had good luck so far with getting stable walking on the Orion model, but further tweaking can be done to reduce weight. Overall, keeping 3D armor & shelling to a necessary minimum is going to be the best design practice. I can say the 200ish gram range is going to be ideal, but await hard numbers shortly.
    Last edited by Tyberius; 05-23-2015 at 02:48 AM.
    Andrew Dresner
    Principal Engineer
    Interbotix GIthub
    Interbotix Labs Google+

Re: HR-OS1 3D Models & 3D Printed Armor

Hi, any chance of getting stl files? Otherwise i can not print the skins, I noticed the stl models are still blacked out, not sure what 3-d printers use stp files, I'm guessing a much bigger printer than mine.
    Last edited by LloydF; 04-29-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Images

STEP is a widely supported CAD/CAM file format that can be easily converted to other file formats by numerous programs as needed by the user for their specific printer.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Can we get some close up pics or a guide to which brackets/holes to use when attaching a shell?

Shapeways is hugely expensive compared to the reprap and makerbot I already have, and I'm used to figuring out proper slicing and part orientation for larger scale printing.

My UP+ printer never came with a converter, do you mean I need to find a converter to use 3-printed files, really! I thought
    people that do CAD for a living use STEP files.
    Last edited by LloydF; 04-29-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Images

AutoCAD, Solidworks, ProEngineer, FreeCAD, lots of FEM/FEA programs, many part processing programs for industrial CNC equipment, etc. Yeah, STEP and IGES are the two most common formats for sharing models between them because they are open standards created by actual standards bodies (ISO and NIST, respectively) with no limitations to specific manufacturing processes.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Just wondering,
    will you be offering printing for those of us who do not have a 3d printer? Or suggestions on who we might send them out to?

Thanks
    Kurt

I've just had success with Autodesk 123D Design - which is free on runs on PC, Mac, and iPad.

http://www.123dapp.com/design

Another request with the github repo for the parts.

To make the file sizes more digestible - Can you export STP and STL for each printed part - rather than the whole?

A lot of reprap projects do this, and it is much easier to update/print/review design of single parts than of the whole.

Images

There will be updates with just the 3D printed parts in STL format this week. This is how the HR-OS5 3d models are distributed and I intend on keeping the same for these. It's just a bit labor intensive and I only have so many hours in the day.
    Andrew Dresner
    Principal Engineer
    Interbotix GIthub
    Interbotix Labs Google+

Thread Information