Thread: Writing on a board with HROS-1 using inverse kinematics

1. Writing on a board with HROS-1 using inverse kinematics

Hi all,

I'm trying to make my HROS-1 write on a plain surface with a magic pen attached to its hand, so far the only thing I found to help me with this thing is a robotic toolkit in matlab developed by Peter Corke that deals with inverse kinematics, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work with my robot in theory, and even if I did, I have no idea how to implement this on the robot other than copying and pasting the servo values in 'RME' manually. So I was wondering if there is any direct way of doing that, may be a library or something like that that can help me achieve that.

Thanks

Images

Re: Writing on a board with HROS-1 using inverse kinematics

Unfortunately, there is not much in the darwin-op framework for doing that. It is all a bit too integrated, so you would have to create a module similar to the walking or action modules to take some input (text string fed to an internal kinematics engine, servo positions from external program, etc.) then output servo positions for the MotionManager to utilize. Thinking you could use just about any PC dynamixel library with the arbotix-pro as if it were a USB2Dynamixel or USB2AX, but cannot remember clearly whether that might actually work.

If I can make myself start focusing on it again, I may finally get back to work on my small, modular system built on zmq to rapidly interface gait engines, motion players, ROS, etc. to actuators and non-vision sensors. Whenever it reaches a functional state, I could completely abandon the darwin-op framework for ROS and custom gait engines/seekers. Mentioning it to try to shame myself into working on it again.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

3. Re: Writing on a board with HROS-1 using inverse kinematics

Thanks, I was just trying to avoid this kinda solution since I only have couple of weeks to do this, but I will try that and see.
    But how about ROS, do you think I might find something there in regard to this ?

Images

Re: Writing on a board with HROS-1 using inverse kinematics

There are several packages for controlling dynamixel servos using USB2Dynamixel/USB2AX by subscribing to joint states published by other nodes. At which point, all you have to do is create a node to translate text into joint positions (or record them by example) and publish to the correct joints.

The custom system I'm working on is basically a very compact and specialized version of ROS meant to operate as a layer underneath ROS to make it easier to publish/subscribe the many joint states at high rates required in walking robots without bogging down the rest of the system or requiring many prerequisites (just zmq and a C++11 compatible compiler).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Thread Information