Thread: PhantomX Reactor, ROS, MoveIt

1. PhantomX Reactor, ROS, MoveIt

So how much engineering (software) am i looking at to get a PhantomX Reactor working on ROS inclusive of MoveIt for a pick/place scenario? Not counting the 'where are the things to pick/place' stuff, just so that MoveIt can plan and execute against a pre-defined space.

I see lots of bits and bobs, stuff for older versions of ROS, and comments about the DOF requirements of MoveIt, etc. Is this a mostly connect the pieces scenario or i need to become an expert in IK or something in between?

regards,
    Adam
    Professional software developer but newbie in this area.

Re: PhantomX Reactor, ROS, MoveIt

If you already know ROS, then writing the appropriate node to get the arm in there is not a terribly large amount of software.

However:

for a pick/place scenario?
    The Reactor is based on the AX-12A servos, which do not have sufficient precision for most uses of pick-and-place.
    You'll be a lot better off building an X/Y gantry with a Z axis, and traditional linear bearings and stepper motors.

Images

Still more than enough resolution for moving larger objects (though maybe not enough torque to safely/reliably pick up off the surface) like silverware, cups, etc., and pushing buttons and flipping switches.

As for MoveIt!... I have not looked at it in quite a while, but I was thinking you did not have to do much other than define the parameters (link lengths, joint limits, etc.) of the arm in a URDF and MoveIt! would try to handle everything else. Not sure if you still have to add fake joints to get reach a minimum DOF for the arm or if that was only the older arm control system. The tutorials will probably be useful and there appears to already be support for the PhantomX Pincher arm, so the Reactor should not be too much trouble.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

4. Re: PhantomX Reactor, ROS, MoveIt

i was thinking more like moving lego pieces around than anything larger. What kind of precision are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    If you already know ROS, then writing the appropriate node to get the arm in there is not a terribly large amount of software.

However:

The Reactor is based on the AX-12A servos, which do not have sufficient precision for most uses of pick-and-place.
    You'll be a lot better off building an X/Y gantry with a Z axis, and traditional linear bearings and stepper motors.

5. Re: PhantomX Reactor, ROS, MoveIt

What's a more reasonable scenario? checkers?

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    Still more than enough resolution for moving larger objects (though maybe not enough torque to safely/reliably pick up off the surface) like silverware, cups, etc., and pushing buttons and flipping switches.

As for MoveIt!... I have not looked at it in quite a while, but I was thinking you did not have to do much other than define the parameters (link lengths, joint limits, etc.) of the arm in a URDF and MoveIt! would try to handle everything else. Not sure if you still have to add fake joints to get reach a minimum DOF for the arm or if that was only the older arm control system. The tutorials will probably be useful and there appears to already be support for the PhantomX Pincher arm, so the Reactor should not be too much trouble.

Images

I could see the arm being used for just about any board or table-top game that does not involve heavy objects that cannot be pushed along the playing surface (arm would probably have enough strength to push/pull, but not pick up) or thin objects like money/cards that must be picked up (gripper likely insufficient to the task). Mike Ferguson's Maxwell did pretty well at playing chess, although it did have a few RX-series dynamixels in its arm since it was designed for manipulating larger objects.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Checkers or lego would be fine. "Pick and place," traditionally, means manufacturing, such as populating electronic circuit boards. Precision needed there is a lot higher than that needed for chess, checkers, or such :-)

8. Re: PhantomX Reactor, ROS, MoveIt

Do you have a working setup for PhantomX Reactor + ArbotiX + MoveIt + Ros Indigo? If yes, then I would be very glad to have a look at the code. Codes provided here https://github.com/RobotnikAutomatio...mx_reactor_arm are wiorking for me, except of the MoveIt part, which produces errors such as "[ERROR] [1503328728.187270162]: Joint 'shoulder_pitch_mimic_joint' not found in model 'phantomx_reactor_arm'". Inverse Kinematics works just fine from the level of the arduino codes https://github.com/Interbotix/Interb...wareStandalone.

9. Re: PhantomX Reactor, ROS, MoveIt

Quote Originally Posted by henryk View Post
    Do you have a working setup for PhantomX Reactor + ArbotiX + MoveIt + Ros Indigo? If yes, then I would be very glad to have a look at the code. Codes provided here https://github.com/RobotnikAutomatio...mx_reactor_arm are wiorking for me, except of the MoveIt part, which produces errors such as "[ERROR] [1503328728.187270162]: Joint 'shoulder_pitch_mimic_joint' not found in model 'phantomx_reactor_arm'". Inverse Kinematics works just fine from the level of the arduino codes https://github.com/Interbotix/Interb...wareStandalone.
    Hi henryk,
    Did you get any solution for this problem? I am also not able to integrate moveit/rviz with gazebo for phantomx_robot_arm.

Thread Information