Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YETIS - YET another 'Intelligent' Scoring System

Images

Re: YETIS - YET another 'Intelligent' Scoring System

No mounting holes needed on the button boards as they are soldered directly to the button's solder/QC tabs, so the board gets mounted on the button which gets panel-mounted on something else. If I sized things correctly, the board should slide cleanly through the 16mm mounting hole+o-ring+nut then rotate to fit the button into the mounting hole and leave the board parallel to the mounting surface.

The newer version had to have the ATtiny85 and I2C header rotated 90 degrees so that right angle headers would point perpendicular to the length of the board, but that is actually a good thing as trying to stick right angle headers on the older one would either make the board quite a bit longer or make it impossible to actually slide a cable onto the header.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

!!NinaClark!! Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    I had a copy of Onyx Fire made for < $40, including components.
    Where did you get Oynx from?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by !!NinaClark!! View Post
    Where did you get Oynx from?
    jwatte initially designed the Onyx Fire board to control the opto-interruptor equipped airsoft guns on his MechWarfare quad (also named Onyx, so imaginative). IIRC, the first batch sold on amazon was made via seeedstudio while the second batch was made through macrofab. They apparently work quite well, and he has the cracked monitor to prove it.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    [git][mech][hack]

he has the cracked monitor to prove it
    That reminds me -- I need to take that to the recyclery! It's still collecting dust in the garage.

Btw: There are still some Onyx Fire II boards in Amazon stock. They charge me like $2 every six months to keep them in stock, although I haven't yet felt it necessary to issue the removal order...

So, if you want one, you should buy one.
    I probably should lower the price, too. Perhaps a Labor Day special coming up? :-)

Images

Surprising how easy it is to place 0402 parts when you have something approximating a decent stencil. Have to use both hands resting on the table because of the shakiness, but only lost a single capacitor to tweezer tips twisting and launching it somewhere I will likely never find it. Soldering things that small is another story.

I'm guessing it is more than a little bizarre that I've been pondering how to build a miniature reflow oven with proper metal wire/rod conveyor belt system and multiple temperature-controlled convection zones... Doesn't actually seem that difficult in theory, although I would probably lose interest/motivation before completion. ...just like almost everything else I start.
    [git][mech][hack]

1) Go to Kmart
    2) Buy a toaster oven
    3) Add a timer/temperature sensor box
    4) Instant reflow oven!

They actually work very well.

I use a 1500W heatgun for that, like is used for heatshrink. Works well, if you have the patience.

Images

Has anyone played with the Freescale KL02/KL03 in QFN-16? Thought about using the MKL02Z32VFG4 for another project while back, but never bothered to acquire any of the hardware before abandoning it. It is the software side that makes me hesitant to even try. Eclipse always lags like mad on my machine, so I'm not sure if I should even bother trying to register at the freescale site to get the IDE (methinks I have a crap java install). Attempting to adapt the teensy core for KL02/KL03 would be another (very painful) option.

Rather tempted to experiment with the MKL03Z8VFG4 for cheap projects instead of the ATtiny85. It is a Cortex-M0+ with same FLASH size, faster clock, more pins (up to 3 analog and 4/6 GPIO when leaving SWD pins unused), hardware I2C and UART, and about half the cost of ATtiny85, but really tiny package (possibly requiring a crystal) and Freescale manuals are not quite as nice/clear as Atmel's.

Have laid out what I think is sufficient for a minimal setup on a tiny board (18.5mm x 16mm) with two 1x6 0.1" headers along the long edges spaced 0.5" to be breadboard pluggable and a 1x4 0.1" I2C header on one short edge. The pads of the crystal should be large enough to green-wire breakout the last two pins not routed out to any of the headers if the crystal is not needed for reliable operation. Current BOM: (1) MKL03Z8VFG4, (1) 0402 decoupling cap, (1) 0805 decoupling cap, (2) 1x6 0.1" headers, (1) 1x4 0.1" header, and possibly (1) 32.768kHz crystal with (2) 0402 caps.
    [git][mech][hack]

Images

Whelp, just added myself to the RePhone Core 3G early bird kickstarter reward. One big reason is the 7+ year old Nokia clamshell phone I'm still using in no small part because I'm not very fond of any of the replacement phone options I've seen. Had been looking at the Adafruit FONA 3G, but figure $29+$5 shipping for a tiny 3G module might be worth a try. Hopefully the documentation will actually be easily accessible and fairly usable/helpful.

As for possible troll-y phone design options marginally related to YETIS... I don't remember the specifics, but I do recall there being some sort of university research project somewhere, some time back (before Wall-E was released?), involving an interactive robot voice communications system. IIRC, the system was basically little stationary (or tracked rover?) blocky/boxy robots with arms and a head that could be remotely manipulated (a sort of marionette system) by the users for more emotive comms without wasting the bandwidth required for video chat.
    [git][mech][hack]

Images

Been especially quiet for a while in part because depression hit hard again around the second week of December and still trying to drag myself back out of it, but slow going as the fluoxetine does little for the depression (still pretty good for the anxiety and intestinal issues). Have gotten next to no work done on any code for the YETIS I2C target panels, or YETIS esp8266 transponder, or Teensy-3.2 ShInDy, or TAPHI motion player or gait seekers, but have been working on the layout of various PCB projects. I've sat on the Teensy-3.2 ShInDy PCB design long enough that I think I'm finally satisfied enough to order it and the parts. The YETIS esp8266-02 transponder PCB was another story as I recently reworked a lot of it to make traces and placement easier by not centering the DXL connector. It now uses a cheap 3.3V->5V switched capacitor voltage-doubler regulator IC to produce the 5V to ensure stable DXL (and possibly neopixel) output while keeping everything else powered from the 3.3V OKI-78SR.

Also working on a cycloidal gearhead made exclusively from cheap dowel pins and a stack of laser/waterjet cut parts likely ordered from big blue saw. Was originally thinking of making a pan-tilt turret from hardboard using a standard stepper for pan and a threaded rod stepper for tilt, but two cycloidal gearheads driven by cheap steppers would be more compact and much more weather resistant. A pair of the cheapo cycloidal gearheads will probably be less expensive than just the threaded rod stepper while still not requiring the steppers to be powered to maintain their position no matter the load condition; should also offer better angular resolution via higher gearing than a single timing belt or threaded rod and nut. Currently thinking a 20:1 or 19:1 stage using 1.6mm or 3.2mm laser cut acetal cams riding inside a cage of 3mm dowel pins (placed on a 50mm circle) with aluminum end plates (press-fit on one end and slip-fit on other; use a few standoffs around exterior to ensure correct spacing of end plates, and/or just slide the cage inside a metal tube compressed between the end plates for dust and water protection as well as proper spacing). Had been thinking that it would be difficult to double up on the cams of each stage in this form factor to make it balanced and increase load capacity, but then I remembered the fact that the cam can be driven by an eccentric disc on a central shaft instead of an eccentric secondary shaft attached to the primary (too small for inexpensive bearings, so just using acetal plates and steel pins). Thinking I should use hex shaft to drive the discs that wobble the cogs since it would permit a slip fit between the shaft and drive discs (laser cut acetal or waterjet cut aluminum). Each stage of the gearhead would be a stack of: [2*N] of spacer disc and of cog + drive disc; [1] spacer disc; [1] output disc with pins that fit into holes in stage's cogs and hex shaft in center to drive next stage or output.

Joining the cylcoidal gearhead is a small-ish PCB for an RPi to control two pololu stepper motor drivers (with several bus caps) and have a nice 5V/2.5A DC-DC regulator (9~36V input) to power the RPi and a 2-pin JST PH header for another device. Also allows connection to six GPIO (four limit switches and two GPIO) via six 2-pin JST PH headers as well as a 4-pin 0.1" YETIS I2C header. Probably also going to start work on a YETIS I2C stepper controller to stick on the cycloidal gearhead + motor assembly for other uses.

Informed yesterday that Seeed is skipping the 3G RePhone and jumping straight into 4G, so probably not going to get my module until October but should be even nicer than first thought.
    [git][mech][hack]

Thread Information