Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: YETIS - YET another 'Intelligent' Scoring System

Images

Re: YETIS - YET another 'Intelligent' Scoring System

Finally placed orders for the Teensy-3.2 ShInDy board and a new version of the YETIS transponder board from OSHPark, as well as stencils for both from OSHStencils. Digikey will follow shortly for the last few parts, and hopefully the remainder of the code will be mostly functional by the time the boards arrive.

As for the gearhead, $350~430 for first run of five complete stages from BBS depending on whether I go with two 0.25" cams, or eight 0.0625" cams, per stage. Quite expensive for a prototype, so probably going to go with a ponoko cardboard version first and might also try a 2mm 19:1 version while I'm at it, but likely won't be placing the orders anytime soon since there are plenty of other projects I could be working on.

First project on the list is to get a bunch of totes to finally clean up the disaster area that is my workspace. After that is to get some large sheets of thin, clear, UV resistant plastic to heat form some proper high-walled pots/trays/enclosures to expand my little indoor forest with a tower of auto-watered hanging trays in the nearly floor-to-ceiling window the builder mysteriously decided to install through most of the house. Only need an inch or two of water-proof tray/pot for the soil, but need several inches of transparent wall to prevent the stuff growing out of the pot (currently growing out of trays and up the window).

Feel free to chime in if anyone knows the name of the plant. No idea what it is actually called; always referred to it as an aloe, but it definitely is not. It is some sort of succulent that rarely/never produces any actual roots, and the thicker stems can easily snap and continue growing when trying to move them. Got the original plant in a tiny pot at a botanical garden in Indiana somewhere around 20 years ago. Original piece got lost in the growth mass before its first transplant long ago as it produces lots of little offshoots that grow like mad out of pots and across the ground if there is enough light and occasional water. Occasionally produces a long thin stalk with small, white, six petal flowers progressively opening and closing along the stalk's length as it grows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest_1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	6412

Name:	forest_2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	6411
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Images

Definitely using OSH Stencils again. Ordered Friday morning ~4am, shipped before 4pm, and arrived Monday in mail via $0.75 shipping. Even the tiny SOT-563 footprint of the two channel EMI/ESD filter to the TTL DXL buss came out quite nicely; it is 6 pads in a ~2mm x ~2mm package where the 3 pads of each row are so small and close together that the pad soldermask coverage overlaps. Only issue is the teensy-shindy stencil is missing the engraved text (OSHStencil logo and order ID, plus up to three lines of user text), but not important since I have only the two stencils and it is not easily confused with anything else. Even came with a credit card sized plastic paste spreader, although I doubt it would compare well to a proper metal solder paste squeegee.

Another week or two before I get the PCBs, but will probably be getting other hardware required for testing some of the code sooner than that.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    [git][mech][hack]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    I've found some heavy-lead ChipQuick can help that. It adds lead to the alloy and makes it melt.
    And then you can never export the board to Europe :-D
    Even better is Sn42/Bi57.6/Ag0.4 with a melting point of 138*C while being RoHS II and REACH compliant. Just ordered a 50g jar of ChipQuik SMDLTLFP50T3 along with the last few parts for the YETIS transponder and Teensy ShInDy. Still have some higher temp lead-free paste in a syringe, but it's several years old and was never refrigerated after shipping.

PCBs arrived at OSHPark from the fab today, and both PCBs and parts will likely be here by the weekend. Yay! Looking forward to finally having functional ESP8266-02 transponders assembled and packaged in their cute little enclosures. Would also be very nice if the digikey order solves the sparking vacuum cleaner power switch issue - don't fool around with mains power.

First Infineon and IRF, now Freescale and NXP? Not sure how I missed Freescale merging into NXP, but finally made an account to download the Kinetis SDK for several possible KL03/KL02-based boards. Also means I might finally play proper with the FRDM-KL25Z I bought so long ago.
    [git][mech][hack]

Images

Bleh. All the parts and PCBs arrived early friday afternoon, but getting my workspace back to a usable state involved lots of dust and quite a few 6qt, 15qt, and 30qt sterlite latching containers. Really wishing I had started storing everything in those containers much earlier instead of just reusing the boxes and bags used to ship everything. Nothing was ever able to stack very well so I never made good use of the shelf space, and there were so very, very many exposed surfaces to collect dust.

Dumbass that I am, I failed to wear a dust mask or respirator during the initial cleanup. Not sure if there was an old bug in the dust or just something else in the house taking advantage of all the mucus, but even with claritin-d I'm still tasting 'sick' in my head and have a twinge behind my eye so a headache is also vying for my attention. Just finished getting the desk cleaned up and most of the area sorted, but even with the new oven installed, the vacuum cleaner switch replaced, and Scalia's departure to brighten my day I'm not really feeling up to any assembly tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll also be up to seeing Deadpool as a reward for finally cleaning up my disaster zone.

Still need to get my mitts on some functional dynamixels to finish testing my library for the transponders and teensy-shindy anyway, so I guess there is no particular rush to finish assembly. Hoping assembly really is much easier with the low-temp solder paste; just having proper stencils is a great improvement over where I was.
    [git][mech][hack]

Images

Just got my batch of six AX-12A gearsets and finished replacing the two dead sets from Ripley's left knee and hip (one tooth on same two gears broken in each), so may have her reassembled and walking sometime relatively soon. Since she is already in pieces and have to play musical servos anyway because of the broken servo case in the right ankle, I'm probably going to make the arms and legs identically assembled on each side instead of mirrored. Hope to eventually rework the torso so the arms, legs, and battery can be easily (automagically) swapped.

Not played with the transponders much, but liking the teensy 3.2, although I think I'm going to try moving to the SAMD21G18 so I can use the D21/Zero core. Spent a while working on a fancier version of the teensy shindy breaking out all the comm ports for dynamixels (two TTL, one CAN, one RS-485), but routing around all the headers (and still not getting access to the extra pins) is quite annoying and protecting the micro USB cable+connector can waste quite a bit of space. Also, not needing all the computing power of the teensy and D21 has more flexibility with its six SERCOMs.

Name:	teensy-shindy_v0.3.5.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	6481

Newer nameless thingy does not bother with any specific interface ICs, but simply breaks out four SERCOM UARTs to stacking connectors (Hirose DF12-DP 2x5; identical footprint for both header and receptacle) each with TX+RX+TXEN pins, 5V and 3.3V supplies, and one analog pin for sensing buss voltage. Plug in another tiny PCB with whatever interface ICs you want and secure with M2 screws on 10mm grid. Planning to use an AP3429 for 3.3V supply (2A, 5V to 3.3V) from USB for more power to the YETIS I2C buss and buzzer+MOSFET connected to the DAC, but need to test the layout of that on a smaller board. Also breaks out the USB pins to both a micro-B connector and a JST PH 4-pin right-angle header without intermediate wired connections like would have been necessary for the teensy shindy to have USB on the JST PH header. Had to shift the LSM9DS1 over a bit from dead center, but still centered in what would be left-right (Y) axis when installed.

Name:	inu_zero_v0.3.0.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	6482

Both are 50mm x 50mm PCBs with M2 mounting cutouts on a 48mm square and M3 cutouts on a 40mm x 50mm rectangle, so they should be good for both 8mm M2 grid (Bioloid) and 10mm M3 grid (RobotGeek).
    Last edited by tician; 03-07-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: hmm. had invalid images that show up in edit mode.
    [git][mech][hack]

Thread Information