Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New PhantomX hex communication(?) Issue / Extremely frustrated with the lack of coherent instructions

Re: New PhantomX hex communication(?) Issue / Extremely frustrated with the lack of coherent instructions

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    All right, let us get back on topic here. Kyle said he would get you the missing hardware and R3n33 got you sorted with that particular issue. What's next on your list that is preventing this we can possibly solve while waiting for the missing stuff?
    The parts should hopefull solve the key issue, thank you very much. R3n33's input allowed me to execute the virtual link, which I'll now be trying with the Xbees in line (instead of direct FTDI connection) so that will tell us more...I'll update in 20min.

thank you, and I'm sorry for being frustrated, I did not intend nor direct anything personally, I really want to participate here and show some neat things and leverage all the work they has been done...it's just been a bad set of days.

Re: New PhantomX hex communication(?) Issue / Extremely frustrated with the lack of coherent instructions

Okay, ran virtual commander in processing (again, thanks R3n33!) with current Xbees (uartsBee, bot) and virtual commander controls it. IT LIVES. So yeah, likely commander board is the cause. Kevin, please let Kyle know I don't need new Xbees.

okay, now I'll work on direct computer interface and my actual experiments while waiting for new commander board.

Thank you all!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    My frustration is directed not at users or you, but at Trossen, as I have yet to encounter a worse support/instruction/etc. experience, even with products that are less developed.
    Then you have been very, very lucky. Last bot not from Robotis or Trossen to be ordered by the head of the lab at Uni was a ~$1000 4WD omni-wheeled rover from 'nexus' via robotshop. Took somewhere around three months to actually receive it and nothing in the box except the bot (~$300 in crap/surplus parts), NiMH charger, and a few printed copies of the product flier. An email prior to receipt of the bot requesting manuals, datasheets, and/or example code was met with essentially 'not until you get the bot', their product pages had nothing but pdf copies of the product fliers, and their forum consisted of ~2000 posts of russian spam. When finally got the bot and sent another email, received a crap pdf manual not specifically for the 4WD omni-wheeled bot and a bit of software - undocumented and poorly implemented customizations to outdated versions of a few open-source arduino libraries and a very not useful example sketch.
    Oh, what I could have built with that $1000. I really wish I had been clearer that given a little time I could have built a much nicer, and easily replicated, bot for the same or less using manufacturer-cut-to-custom-length aluminum extrusions (I love misumi), water-jet cut aluminum plates (big blue saw), banebots P60 gearboxes + >12W non-surplus motors + dynamixel-compatible motor controllers, nicer wheels (i.e. actually round), and multiple, easily-swapped, 4S 20Ah LiFePO4 batteries.

Even some of the four-to-five figure imaging hardware in the lab had rather limited documentation and support; had to be used with horribly outdated hardware/software because of crap interfaces/drivers; and/or had been made by a company where all their new products were dependent on software they had not bothered updating for the better part of a decade.

Kinda, sorta wondering who suffers through 4 days of issues before attempting to contact the seller that parts were missing and/or not working. Even with my very stubborn, rather avoidant, and somewhat masochistic nature, I don't think I could manage that long without smashing something (even if it's just my head into my desk). The automated voice-menu systems at BellSouth/AT&T and Charter have both suffered a bit of verbal abuse from me when I get kicked into their seemingly endless 'troubleshooting' routines after my internet connection has gone down more than ~30 minutes.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh
    more bleh

Thread Information