Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer Knowlege and advice for upgrading

Images

Re: 3D Printer Knowlege and advice for upgrading

Back in June 2014, when I first built my Printrbot Simple Metal kit, like many people,I had a lot of problems with adhesion of print objects to the bed even when using blue tape cleaned with alcohol. When a heated bed modification became available, I bought one and my print success rate went up tremendously, and now my problem is that I have great difficulty in getting parts loose from the bed, especially if it is something more than a couple of inches across. I have acquired a 3D Print Removal Tool from ToyBuilder that has really helped get stuff loose.

Even with a heated bed, I still had problems with pointy parts of a print wanting to curl up, and sometimes knock the print loose when it would impact with the extruder nozzle. I finally figured out that it was two things causing that.
    1. I had a ceiling fan causing a draft on one side of the print bed, but not the other.
    2. The Simple Metal has one fan mounted on the left side of the extruder. It's airflow to most of the right side of a print is blocked by the extruder and Z end stop detector. Unequal airflow was causing the unwanted curling.

I've learned to keep small pieces of paper to use as air dams handy so that I can tape them to the bed to make the air flow evenly over the whole print. At one time I seriously considered building a heat chamber, but now I feel it is unnecessary.

Not sure if it is best to start a new conversation or continue here. so...

I am also thinking about jumping in and getting a 3d printer, so that I can at first print up some of the different parts for the HROS1 and for my PhantomXs. But not sure which one would be a good one to purchase for a first time printer...

For starters lets say for under 1000. If however it turns out that there is one for $1200 that is so vastly superior than...

Example a lot of reviews appear to like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=3dprints-20 ...

I am assuming a heated bed, sort of like the idea of being in an enclosure. Assume it supports PLA. Nice if was not totally restricted to vendors materials only, but not a deal breaker. My guess something like 8x8x8 would be great... single extrusion would probably work to learn with...

I see lots of different lists and reviews like: http://www.lady3d.com/ or http://www.comparaboo.com/best-3d-printers or ...
    But hard to know which to trust.

Some of the ones that I have seen mentioned either up here on in searching include:
    http://www.solidoodle.com/Press which I am not sure if it is the newer version of: http://www.solidoodle.com/Solidoodle4 ?

or maybe something like: http://us.xyzprinting.com/us_en/Prod...0-Professional

Suggestions?

Images

I have no personal experience with any 3D printers, other than the three models currently being sold by Printrbot. In fact, we have one of each here at my house and think all three are great machines. They are about as simple in design as they can be, but are built like a tank from heavy gauge metal. I really liked the fact that I was able to buy the two smaller ones, Play and Simple, as kits and put them together myself. My larger Plus comes in single and dual extruder versions, but I bought the single one on purpose. If I want multiple colors, I will just use paint. Since I built two of these machines I have no problem with taking them apart to upgrade or fix them as needed, especially since Printrbot has detailed construction tutorials for all three types of machines. Even though I did not build it, I've had the big Plus apart to repair it. The Printrbot company was very quick to provide a replacement belt and pulley (stripped set screw socket when replacing the broken belt) under warranty. It was all handled via email, no questions asked other than order number.

I really like that the company is always working to improve the designs of their printers. I have added a heated bed upgrade to both the Play and Simple printers. I also have the Extended Z and larger heated bed upgrades for my Simple but haven't actually added those two yet as I'm printing every day on the regular size heated bed. It is working so well I hate to take it out of service long enough to do the two new mods.

None of our three machines are inside enclosures. I find that as long as I am careful about making sure there is no air drafts in the room and I run the heated bed, I haven't had any problems with warping.

I do know a guy, over on LMR, that recently bought one of the FlashForge 3D Printer Creator Pro machines and has been building a really nice robot with it. It's worth a look. I'm sure if you asked him he would tell you about his experience with it.

Images

Well beyond the $1200 limit, but worth mentioning the MarkForged printers. They are quite nice and the fiber reinforced nylon prints are strong enough to handle multiple collisions in PRS. Pretty sure I've mentioned the 3Dhubs printer ratings and 3Dhubs printer guide before; basically feedback from customers about the many, many listed printer types available in their network.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Aside from the 3D printer (I own a SpiderBot, great for medium/large ABS prints), keep a keen eye on:
    - Proper designing of parts (design with the manufacturing process in mind, printing, milling etc).
    - Proper slicing software and skill to use it (or lots of documentation :P ). I have used KISSlicer in the past but these days I only use Simplify3D.
    - Proper filament. I steer clear from filament suppliers that do not state their colors in RAL color codes and do not provide datasheets with ISO norms etc. Prices vary, I don't really care.

The most important thing that I discovered after buying my own printer is how good, proper and reliable support from the supplier can be. Some years back I was deciding between my current printer and the makerbot 2X. This was around the time when the 2 and 2X just came out. After emailing back and forth with both suppliers/resellers and asking some pointy questions I had much more confidence in the SpiderBot, which I have not regretted since. :-) Given that you easily invest several thousands euro/dollar's in such a machine plus the huge amount of time in learning the process of design and printing I find it hard to believe that certain suppliers offer "6 months warranty". That's utter nonsense.

I had more to say, but after reading the comments from others I think all the wise things have already been said. :-)

Thanks,

I have been looking over the different reviews and the like and it is now getting clear as mud.

The MarkForged look interesting, but probably a bit more than I need right now. The printer bot stuff looks interesting as it is always great to have someone up on the same forum, who likes them enough to buy three of them! Some of the Flash Forge look interesting, but reading some of the comments up on places like Amazon.com, it appears like some love it, and others got lemons and bad experiences with getting things resolved...

The UP ones look interesting as they appear to be easy to get up and running... The Rostock one looks like it could be a lot of fun (maybe pain) to setup and be entertaining to run...

So hopefully soon I may just roll a dice and...

Images

In the end it always comes down to a roll of the dice. What may work perfectly for one person may be a constant problem and headache for another. Just hope that whatever you buy was not "built on a Monday," which is why I really liked being able to build two of mine from kits.

Thanks again,

I went around in circles trying to decide on which one would work well for me. There were some I was tempted to get, but you were either locked into their supplies and/or software, and reading some of the things in their forums, it sounded like if something went wrong, you would have to ship your unit overseas to be fixed...

So I ended up ordering a Printrbot plus. They show a lead time of about a week, so now I need to start learning! Software recommendations?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    So I ended up ordering a Printrbot plus. They show a lead time of about a week, so now I need to start learning! Software recommendations?
    When you go to the sale page for the Printrbot Plus, there is a link that says, "*For getting started information on your Printrbot Plus, click here." Click that link and there will be a set of guides with lots of pictures that will take you all the way from unboxing the printer, right on to completing your first print. Due to all the variables in printing - software, types of filament, extruder temperature, bed temperature, bed surface prep, etc., I do recommend following their guides to get started as they will get you started making very nice prints.

One other thing that I do recommend you get, is either a 3D Print Removal Tool from ToyBuilder, or any kind of long, thin bladed putty knife similar to it. Sliding the thin blade under a printed item with a large bed contact area, makes it MUCH easier to get them loose from the blue tape without destroying your Kapton tape on the print bed. I have GOT to whittle away the pointy part of the handle though, as, if you are not careful, you will hurt the heel of your hand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized2015-11-21 10.09.42.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	6297

Images

I print on a thin sheet of glass that is clipped on the heated bed. I found something at home depot and use paper clips to secure the glass to the bed. Using a little bit of glue stick or aquanet hair spray applied to the glass I don't have any trouble with sticking and don't have to worry about blue or kapton tape..
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

Thread Information