Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 3D printable models for the HR-OS1

Re: 3D printable models for the HR-OS1

The HROS1 is in more parts again as I now have the P2 plate out. I have now relaid it back out using Fusion 360 and I think it is pretty close. I used my scanner to make a picture of the current board and then had fusion read that in as a canvas, which I then dimensioned it. I then drew it out, added all of the existing holes and some new holes for XU4. While laying out where the Xu4 would go, some of the holes were real close to where the Edison holes are currently, so I then moved the edison slightly...

Maybe later today will try to print it out:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HROS1-P2-3d.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	6348

But first I am going to lay out a strap that goes accross the board, with hopefully built in washers, which when screwed in with the mounting holes will hopefully hold the eMMC in...

Maybe something like:

Name:	Odroid-Xu4-emmc-strap.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	6349

Assuming I measured correctly (and also looked at diagram on Hardkernel), I have the main part of strap something like 1.5mm thick, and the offsets at both ends are 3mm high, to hold it up to about same height as top of emmc... Hopefully will get some time to print out and see if it works...

Note, could also potentially only go from the closest mounting hole, it might not be quite a secure, but would make it easier to maybe loosen the screw and rotate out of the way, if/when you need to reflash the emmc.
    Last edited by KurtEck; 12-12-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    Sorry to hear that! Hopefully you are starting to feel better now.

Thanks, I am thinking of doing a new P2 plate, but always wondered about instead mounting to p3 plate. But will probably stick with the main method, although different hole pattern.

So far I have not had the emmc fall off, although I have not had it on the hominoid where it can fall. was wondering about two possibilities. The first is to mount it upside down, such that the emmc is on top. The 2nd is to maybe add a retainer as you mentioned to the plate, or a simple plate that goes between two of the mounting holes of the Xu4...

Looks like time for some more disassembly.
    Installing on the P3 plate would probably work okay. I think if you did use the Odroid-XU4 in the chest area, either on P2 or P3, it might be a good idea to rotate it 90 degrees to make the access to the USB ports a little easier. It would also make access to the Ethernet, HDMI, power plug, eMMC and SDC easier.

I don't think it would really make a difference if the eMMC is on top or on the bottom as long as you use your idea of adding the extra clamping bar. Your design looks okay except I think you would want to add a wide spot in the bar to cover more of the eMMC. Right now your design would only clamp the forward edge making it possible for the socket connection to possibly come loose anyway.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    .... I have now relaid it back out using Fusion 360 and I think it is pretty close. I used my scanner to make a picture of the current board and then had fusion read that in as a canvas, which I then dimensioned it. I then drew it out, added all of the existing holes and some new holes for XU4. While laying out where the Xu4 would go, some of the holes were real close to where the Edison holes are currently, so I then moved the edison slightly...
    Have you tried importing the step file into Fusion 360 so that you don't have to do all the layout work over again? https://github.com/Interbotix/HROS1-.../Assembly_STEP

It took a while to open the first time in 123D Design, and it was a bit of a pain to save out all the different groups that I have needed, but in reality, it has saved me from having to redesign anything from scratch except the Jimmy head.

Sounds good. I have opened up the step file in to the Fusion 360 which works. I have not tried anything with exporting stuff or 3d printing from it yet, but should try it.

Right now I am using this as a learning experience.

If you get a good working design, holler as I am looking to use the xu-4 as well, I just don't have the the plates to mount it, and with out a spare I don't know. There Ubuntu 15 has all the drivers I need, hum.

Hi, still playing around some with the strap.

The current one looks like:

Name:	Odroid-Xu4-emmc-strap.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	6350

Which I just printed out, and you can see it laying on the bottom of XU4:

Name:	Odroid-Xu4-showing-strap-pl.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	6351
    Looks like a pretty good fit. Won't work with the Hardkernel risers, but for this case does not matter. I was playing with a second version

Name:	Odroid-Xu4-emmc-strap2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	6352
    But my first attempts at printing it did not work too well, tried with scaffolding, but since now very thick trying to clean it up, I broke one end off. Also would need to play more with the edges as parts of the bottom then were hitting some bumps on bottom of ODroid so would not go in float. Would need to skin off some of the inner parts... Not sure if I will continue on that direction, until I need to. Currently only have one XU4 which is headed for this one and an XU3 lite, which is currently in PhantomX.

Not sure if anyone will find it useful, but here is an STL frile for the strap I just printed. Note: I have not actually printed this file yet, as I had Fusion 360 talk directly with Cura to print it.

Will try to print main board later today.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Images

Hi KurtEck,
    Thanks for the strap. Just finished printing and installing it on my Odroid. Used four left over Hex Socket Head M3x8mm screws and two left over 3mm spacers from the HR-OS1 kit. Using the chrome part of the supplied standoffs should allow for easy mounting either in the head or on the P2 or P3 plate. Can also replace the M3x8mm with M3x10mm screws and mount the board from the bottom side without using the chrome standoffs.

Name:	ResizedOdroidXU4Strap20151214_104958.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	6354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ResizedOdroidXU4Strap20151214_110219.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	6355

Yesterday I went ahead and printed my updated plate:

Name:	HROS1-F2-print.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	6357

It printed pretty good, ran into a few issues where the holes still are not big enough. The ones that I said that were 2.5mm were almost closed off, and the ones that I said to print 3.5mm, were pretty close to fitting the 3mm screws. I used a couple of drill bits and cleaned them out some.

I started to try to reassemble the robot and find things are a bit tight! Not really any room to mount the strap.

Name:	HROS1-F2-print-Front.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	6358
    It actually fits in pretty nicely, but I am concerned that the screws on the F3 board that hold the standoffs for the Arbotix-pro ride up into the ODroid, which I don't like. May not be hitting anything critical, but. So trying to decide what I want to do. May look through my parts and see about using shorter standoffs. Might try using some short standoffs and mount upside down. Also from looking how far back the Odroid fits into the space, from a back end picture:

Name:	HROS1-F2-print-Back.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	6359
    I could probably move the Odroid back a few mm and maybe miss those standoffs. Don't want to move too far or will hit some in the back. Will play some more and see what works.

Update: I switched to using the metal standoffs that came with the ODroid (or one of the boards with Odroid), and it is about a mm shorter and now the board is not on the lower screw . Tomorrow, will look at what to do about emmc strap. The current stuff wont fit in the space. but can probably fit something that is held in by friction or the like.
    Last edited by KurtEck; 12-14-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Images

While you are trying various mounting options, you might want to see about inverting the Odroid and just using your strap and two 3mm spacers. From looking at mine, that configuration should give you 3 or 4 mm of clearance below the Odroid and the P3 plate.

Thanks

I might try that. Right now I am updating my plate slightly, to move the ODroid back about 6mm, such that there is more room for the
    power plug and still fit stuff in front, plus enlarged the holes for screwing the plate into the upper servos. Once I print out a new version, will try it again and decide which way to go.

Thanks again

Kurt

Thread Information