Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D printable models for the HR-OS1

Images

Re: 3D printable models for the HR-OS1

That looks great!! And having the camera inside is wicked cool too.

Waiting for 10-12+ hour prints seems to be some form of mild torture. Add to that making multiple revisions to get the desired result... I feel your pain. That said I'm totally willing to wait for this print and am really excited for when you finish the final adjustments.

Looks like you are getting along with your new software pretty well
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

2. Re: 3D printable models for the HR-OS1

I have been looking for some time for a Jimmy head model. I am interested in the model and happy to help with the updates. What 3D modelling program are you using?

I am not a big fan of the current design of the head. It's too complicated and as you pointed out it occupies too much space. Also, as some others have noticed the tilt range is very limited. I'm thinking about changing the design by moving the pan servo in the chest between the two shoulder servos, build a long "neck" and put on top the tilt servo that can be fixed to the head shell.

I've seen you also have the Jimmy hands printed. I think they look nicer.

Alex.

3. Re: 3D printable models for the HR-OS1

Quote Originally Posted by sonel View Post
    Also, as some others have noticed the tilt range is very limited. I'm thinking about changing the design by moving the pan servo in the chest between the two shoulder servos, build a long "neck" and put on top the tilt servo that can be fixed to the head shell.
    Alex.
    This is definitely something I am interested! Having a head capable of looking up and down in a big range!

Shihui

4. Re: 3D printable models for the HR-OS1

Quote Originally Posted by guoshihui View Post
    This is definitely something I am interested! Having a head capable of looking up and down in a big range!

Shihui
    Shihui, frankly providing better tilt range can be solved with the current design too. I've posted an updated design here:

https://github.com/sonelu/HROS1-Cust...er/Head%20Tilt

I haven't yet printed and tested. I might try to do this in the evening.

Alex.
    Last edited by sonel; 10-27-2015 at 07:27 AM.

5. Re: 3D printable models for the HR-OS1

Quote Originally Posted by sonel View Post
    Shihui, frankly to provide better tilt range can be solved with the current design too. I've posted an updated design here:

I haven't yet printed and tested. I might try to do this in the evening.

Alex.
    Thanks Alex. This is fantastic. I have downloaded the file, but can't print until late this week, because we just bought our printer, and it will be assembled this Thursday.

Shihui

Images

I haven't completely finished the redesigned "Jimmy" head as I needed to incorporate some sort of mounting points for speakers. I bought some Radio Shack 29mm speakers yesterday afternoon and tested them. I can get adequate sound from them using my Emic 2 text to sound card. I just finished printing a set of mounts that can be mounted on a flat horizontal or vertical surface. I'm hoping that mounting them firmly to the inside of the head will give some more amplification like the sound box of stringed musical instruments. I should be able to print the head tomorrow and see if it works.

Edit the next paragraph because I redid the files and made a smaller base version.

Anyway, for r3n33, the side mount only version does fit in the Chappie head a couple of ways, even in the round "ear" areas on the side of the head, if you want them there. My first version that was too thin to slice correctly, fits there just right and this revised one should, too. Anyway, there is another file that has a larger base and has holes for bottom or sidemounting. The included pictures are a back and front view with a speaker mounted in it. The retainer was deliberately made to be flexible because the way the wires are attached is slightly different for each of the four speakers I have.

RSSpeakerMountV4SideAndBottomMount.zip
    RSSpeakerMountV4SideMountOnly.zip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-10-27 17-32-15.956.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	6221

Name:	2015-10-27 17-33-28.117.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	6222
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by drachels; 10-28-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Images

Here is what the Jimmy head looks like in 123D Design, right at the moment. The object in the left eye is a mock-up of the camera just to make sure position and mounting holes are in the right places to clear the inside surfaces of the head. The tilt mechanism parts are just there for the same reason. The servo mount in the bottom center is actually part of the head and replaces the top plate of the two in the tilt mechanism. The two holes near the bottom edge on the side of the head are access holes that let you mount the tilt servo. I probably will replace them with vertical slits for the speakers with the slits being wide enough for the 1.5mm Allen wrench to get through to mount the servo.

Name:	JimmyHeadV4.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	6223

Images

sonel,
    I hope I'm wrong, but I think you'll find that your design does give slightly more tilt up, but not more forward tilt. The limit for tilting up is the rear edge of the two circular disks hitting the top of the pan servo so making the pivot posts taller should help there. However, the forward tilt is limited by the crossbar between the two Head Tilt Cams hitting the back of the tilt servo and the way the lower end of the right Head Tilt Swing Arm connects to the Pan Servo Bracket causes it to bind just above the lower right hand bolt.

Anyway, I am currently printing layer 18 of 63 of your new tilt plate bracket to try it out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by drachels View Post

Name:	2015-10-27 17-32-15.956.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	6221

Name:	2015-10-27 17-33-28.117.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	6222
    This looks nice and clean. Have you tired these little speakers yet? I played with one last night and it had a pretty decent volume when you put your hand or an object behind it. I was thinking I could get away with using two to give a little extra volume. So far I've only tested with this 5V amplifier found on amazon but I'm definitely satisfied for $6. We might start a new thread for robot audio when you start testing your TTS module?

Quote Originally Posted by drachels View Post
    Here is what the Jimmy head looks like in 123D Design, right at the moment. The object in the left eye is a mock-up of the camera just to make sure position and mounting holes are in the right places to clear the inside surfaces of the head. The tilt mechanism parts are just there for the same reason. The servo mount in the bottom center is actually part of the head and replaces the top plate of the two in the tilt mechanism. The two holes near the bottom edge on the side of the head are access holes that let you mount the tilt servo. I probably will replace them with vertical slits for the speakers with the slits being wide enough for the 1.5mm Allen wrench to get through to mount the servo.

Name:	JimmyHeadV4.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	6223
    Still doing a little dance for this! I can't wait to give it a try.

The simplified camera model is a good idea to get a good fit.. One thing that helped me was to also draw the field of view coming from the center of the lens. Keep in mind I've only measured mine but I observed a 45 degree horizontal angle and a 32 degree vertical angle from the supplied camera. Also I noticed my camera looks a little to the right as the components were not in perfect alignment from manufacturing.
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

10. Re: 3D printable models for the HR-OS1

Guys, thanks for the feedback. I had the chance to do some more testing and have come up with the following design:

Name:	Assembly-side view.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	6227

It includes changes to tilt plate bracket, tilt servo bracket, arms, etc.
    The parts are in the github as well as the assembly pictures.

With this setup the tilt servo works from 260 (aprox 75º down) to 730 (aprox. 63º up).
    Last edited by sonel; 10-28-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Thread Information