Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Camera / Vision Processing (within the HR-OS1 Framework)

Images

Re: Camera / Vision Processing (within the HR-OS1 Framework)

If you do upgrade to AX-18A in the knees, you will need to add the cooling fans and printed mounts to slow overheating. AX-18 use a coreless brushed DC motor and run at higher current so they overheat much faster than the AX-12, especially when trying to hold a position instead of moving.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Quote Originally Posted by r3n33 View Post
    I've actually put a good bit of time into making adjustments which means a number of things come into play with my current walk gait:

Obviously for one I put AX18s in the knees to help give a tiny bit more strength in that area while I was going to put it through a lot of tuning.
    It shows that you have put in a lot of time. I was going to ask to see what your current settings are, but I see you already have done that, up in your experimentation branch on github (Data/config.ini). So I may try out those settings as a starting point. I also should probably insert the battery as it will probably change the balance.

Just wondering how many of the servos have you upgraded to 18s?

The other thing that was quite important to performing the walk tune was addressing the IMU readings. I'm not sure yet what step Trossen would like to take on getting these fixed ( ie update the Arbotix-Pro firmware so the output is correct or patch the Framework ) but it is essential. My fork of the repo is of course patched to accommodate in the meantime.
    I totally agree. I now have the programmer and converter, such that I can probably update my firmware. However there is not many instructions on how how they actually do the makes, other than the readme.md appears to show they are using someone elses compiler tool set and making it under linux (14.10)... I will probably soon setup that toolset on the NUC and see how it builds... Note: NUC is on 14.04... But will probably do some other diversions before then

It would be good to know if the Arbotix-pro's that ship in beta2 are the same as beta 1s? If so did they fix it? There have not been any new updates in the ArbotixPro project in about 5 months (except pdf added and readme file updated). So if they fixed it, not sure how and if so, did they change something like revision number the software could detect and if earlier version use your fix...

Again great work!

3. Re: Camera / Vision Processing (within the HR-OS1 Framework)

I'll take a slow and steady walk over fast and troublesome. With the AX18's in the knees with cooling fans and ventilation holes he can walk around for about 20 minutes on a battery.
    Could you post pictures showing the details of the cooling fans and ventilation holes?

Images

Ok, more information about the AX18 knees... They were mainly for experimentation and I found to get the most out of them (in this location) they need to be cooled and ventilated. With only the fans they would last longer but still overheat when under load and would certainly cool down quicker. This allowed me to test intermittently while taking ~15 minute breaks for cooling. When I added what I joking like to call "speed holes" I was able to run for extended periods of time and in some cases ran into the thermal limit on other joints before the knees.

The fans are 30mm 12V and attach with the brackets I made on the printer. You can get those here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:781366

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	6179 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	6180

Holes were drilled around 3 sides of the motor. I'd have probably done the 4th but my servos were already installed and I was in a rush/too lazy/insert excuse here. These drill locations were very specifically selected by inspecting the inside of a servo case to make sure the motor and case structure weren't going to be compromised.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	6181 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2166.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	6182

Power comes from the empty connector on the ankle pitch servo.
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

Thank you keeps me from scratching my head too hard. Yea!!

Images

Sometimes I wonder if Robotis ever considered to make a servo based on the Ax-18 but a lot higher gear ratio to achieve more torque.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

7. Re: Camera / Vision Processing (within the HR-OS1 Framework)

My solution for the knee heating problem was to eliminate the knee joint offset relative to the hip and ankle joints (i.e. DARwIn-OP like geometry) so that the knee torque while standing and walking was lower.

Considered adding cooling slots/holes as well, but didn't do it as I worried about getting it wrong and ROBOTIS doesn't sell replacement cases.

Nice to see someone try it and get good results.

8. Re: Camera / Vision Processing (within the HR-OS1 Framework)

Thanks for sharing your project with us. It is pretty cool idea. I am also looking to work on a image processing project. I want to know which MCU is best for these kind of projects? Also what is the list of necessary sensors and how i can find the best ones to ensure the reliability? What OS is required here to perform the image processing?

pcb assembly quotes
    Last edited by DewStorer; 10-09-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Ah, there final got streaming running on my RT (real time) kernel. ( Is the frame rate really this low, like 10 to 20 FPS?)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DewStorer View Post
    Thanks for sharing your project with us. It is pretty cool idea. I am also looking to work on a image processing project. I want to know which MCU is best for these kind of projects? Also what is the list of necessary sensors and how i can find the best ones to ensure the reliability? What OS is required here to perform the image processing?
    Typically you wouldn't use a micro controller for image processing, you'd want a computer or in the case of my robot a single board computer like an Edison, Raspberry Pi, ODROID, etc. Most likely you'll want as much processing power as you can afford. I would suggest doing some research on the tasks you'd like to accomplish and look for clues as to what others have used before you.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydF View Post
    Ah, there final got streaming running on my RT (real time) kernel. ( Is the frame rate really this low, like 10 to 20 FPS?)
    Nice work. I would say yes the frame rate is about 15-17 fps on my Edison. Plenty enough to track a color blob or detect colors but like tician said at some point, not much else.
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

Thread Information