Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: YATB - Yet Another Teensy Board :D

Re: YATB - Yet Another Teensy Board :D

Thanks, Your right, I had not noticed that!

I did verify it went high enough for 3S lipo, which is what I use as I don't have any.

In some of the other boards I have used the http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...6-5-ND/2259781 which is the one you mentioned as well as their horizontal version. I see they support up to 36v, but only outputs up to 1.5amps. So I did not use it on these boards as I am wanting to also power the RPI... So wanted at least 3 to 4 amp capacity. So I figured 6 amp would work..

Do you know any other DC to DC converters that take the larger range and output enough for this? Earlier I was using an external BEC to power both, but like the idea of it all being built in. Also that BEC does not work well with T3.6. It works for T3.2 and T3.5 and RPI and ... But for some reason T3.6 hangs on startup on this BEC (but then runs fine if you hit the reset...)

Images

Always a new board from Kurt..
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    I dropped having the BNO055 IMU from previous version as probably can not fit. Instead I will experiment with one of the
    https://www.tindie.com/products/oneh...dd-on-shields/
    That one was interesting! I thought I would order one for the T3.6 but they where out of stock.
    Do you think it would be a challenge to read this combined with running the Phoenix code? I don't need continuous readings of the orientation (just in some cases) so hopefully ok.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Yep - Always playing! :P

Partially because I was hopefully learning a few things from previous boards. Like I was able to make the sound amp chip work properly on my well monitor board, so brought that over. Also I liked the later switches better than the earlier ones I was using, and again thought it would be great to have it fit in smaller space so I thought I would do the T3.2 for this try.

Will have to see how well this imu works. It probably won't be a speed demon, as he built it castellated, to solder directly to the bottom pads of the T3.2 (or 3.5/6), which at least for the 3.2 did not have SPI pins, so his example code emulates SPI, which adds a burden onto the processor.

For this board is to have the Phoenix like code run on the host, which will either be RPI3, Odroid (C2 or XU4), or UP board (or up2 or maybe mini up - would require different board)

So what I want this board to do is sort of a USB2AX but more like an advanced SSC-32 for AX servos (looks like would need different VR/DC-DC converter for MX servos that use 4S lipo).

So I wish to be able to queue up group moves and have the board handle the interpolation. But I would also like to extend it to be able to queue up the next move before the current one completes. Hopefully this should remove some critical timing issues with running some of this code on the hosts, which makes some of the robots look like the slightly stutter when walking.

Not sure yet about how to work in IMU. One option is to be like Arbotix Pro and have them as logical registers that can be queried. Another option is to have packets of data automatically send from Teensy to host at specific times or conditions...

Hopefully it will get me working on it again!

Images

Sounds like fun to test it out anyway one day. I might just use one of the old Razor IMU's in my current project. But i really liked the size of it.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

for some reason T3.6 hangs on startup on this BEC (but then runs fine if you hit the reset
    Try putting a capacitor (100-470 uF) after the BEC, before the power switch?

For other integrated power converters, I like the Pololu ones. They are slightly more expensive than OEM parts from DigiKey, but sometimes tuned better for hobbyist needs:
    https://www.pololu.com/category/84/r...power-supplies

I've found that, for more specific needs, I do better by going with dedicated ICs on my own. I've built a number of buck and boost converters, and so far, none of them have disintegrated by self-oscillating to death :-)

Thanks guys. The IMU arrived today and yes it is small.
    Here is a quick photo showing it sitting on bottom of T3.2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T3.2---MPU9250.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	6890
    Note it is just sitting there I have not made sure of orientation of the board to the pads yet. May solder it on soon...

I have not played much with the BEC I mentioned, but as I said it is strange that the same BEC works on every other thing I have tried (Odroids, RPI, I believe Edison, T3.2 and T3.5) and the T3.5 is the same board as 3.6, except for processor board and a couple of parts for USB host. Also there have been a few other power supplies that have had issues, like some of the ones by RECOM DC/DC converters.

Did try external cap or like to reset line to try to slow down the reset signal. The thought is, it has to due with the voltage curve starting up... But maybe I will hck up a setup to see if external CAP would help.

Maybe at some point may have to try one of the Pololu ones like: https://www.pololu.com/product/2865
    But maybe need to off board as it is wider and longer than the T3.2... But does handle up to 38v and outputs 6 amp
    Actually the 5amp one looks a little nicer size wise: https://www.pololu.com/product/2851
    May have to play around some!

Edit: ordered one of their 2.5amp and 5amp 5v versions to play with
    Last edited by KurtEck; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:19 PM.

Images

Kurt: Keep your posts coming! I'm always interested!

Images

Oh, nice. That's a small board!
    Are they ment to be soldered directly onto the Teensy board?
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Yes - This version of the board solders directly to the pads under the T3.2, that you often don't use or have to solder on a surface mount right angle pins...

I soldered it onto the T3.2 in the photo and so far one of the test programs is talking to it... Will play more with it later.

He has a different version that will solder directly under a T3.6 and then a slightly bigger one that solders above the board or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Try putting a capacitor (100-470 uF) after the BEC, before the power switch?
    Thought I would mention that I have now tried putting a 220uf cap in after the BEC but before the board and so far that has not helped in this case. It was the first through hole CAP I ran into. Earlier I cleaned out some of my storage area and got rid of lots of stuff that I figured I was not going to use again... Usually it turns out to be the stuff I need the next day

Thread Information