Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY FSR Feet for the HR-OS1

Re: DIY FSR Feet for the HR-OS1

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    YWas waiting until I had feet parts to work on it, hopefully soon.
    Printer arrived

So my very first prints (after test cube), was to print the foot parts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB-HR1-foot_parts.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	6303
    I don't think they look too bad for my first printed parts

Images

I think they look pretty good too, for a first actual usable print out of the box, without any fine tuning of your settings.

Images

Printer arrived

So my very first prints (after test cube), was to print the foot parts.

Name:	PB-HR1-foot_parts.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	6303
    You didn't end up with a blob of indistinguishable plastic! Congratulations! And you printed one of my models? Awww
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

Actually printing another one right now

Name:	PB-Bench.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	6304

But this one is taking awhile. Cura estimated 6h 12m print time.

Need to play around some more to understand all of the settings, that may impact how long it takes... But that is a different topic.

Images

Congratz with a 3D printer Kurt!
    Looks like fun!
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

6. Re: DIY FSR Feet for the HR-OS1

But this one is taking awhile. Cura estimated 6h 12m print time.
    Say good-bye to good night sleep! You'll be hooked watching the extruder.

Are you printing in PLA? You should switch to ABS for the robot parts - it's true that PLA is way easier to print, but I found it to be unsuitable for robots where high torques / forces and big hits from falls would usually break very fast the PLA parts.

7. Re: DIY FSR Feet for the HR-OS1

It's great to see that so many people are progressing with this topic!

I wanted to share my progress and I hope over the weekend I might be able to finish most of it.

Name:	IMG_1375.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	6307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1374.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	6308

I'm using the larger 0.5'' sensors. I have bought both the small and the larger ones and I tested them on the breadboard with the Arduino and frankly I find the larger sensors give better reading. Because of that I had to replace the foot bracket (the aluminium one) with a 3D printed one - which is fine because the cutouts for the FSR are anyway obstructed by the large U servo bracket.

I use an Arduino Mini Pro (cheap Chinese clone) and I have also included an 74LVC2G241 that is in this prototype soldered on a SSOC-DIP adapter. Everything is on a strip board that also includes the 4 resistors (10K indeed) and 4 x 0.1'' screw terminals where the sensors' are conected (as you can see in the picture nothing is soldered yet to the strip board - I want to make sure that the alignment and the screw holes are fine first).

You can see in the first picture that I use 4 self adhesive 0.5'' rubber feet that match perfectly the FSR sensors and also will produce some nice grip for the foot. They come out of the foot sole just about 1.5mm.

I have to make some adjustments - change the position of some screws and add a few more to increase the strength of the assembly.

In terms of firmware I'm curious to see Kurt's code, although I have already started to work on a generic DynamixelSlave framework that can be used to implement Dynamixel devices using an Arduino. I'm using ardyno library from Adrien Descamps (you can install it from the Arduino environment) extended with a DynamixelSlave class that will use the very elegant DynamixelInterface and implement the EEPROM functionalities as well as the basic communication functions. Particular devices (like the FSR here) will subclass DynamixelSlave and add the particular processing and communication specific for that device. I'll probably send a pull request to Adrien and hopefully he can publish the changes in the Arduino library.

I'm thinking of expanding the registry from Robotis with a few more things:
    - some calibration variables in EEPROM; this would help improve significantly the accuracy of the measurements as the production tolerances for the FSR is very large and the particular physical implementation could affect the results
    - a variable for the frequency of reading the FSR values
    - a set of average measurement - most likely for the centre, including a D (differential) calculation that can be used directly to evaluate possible unstable situations
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	84 
ID:	6306   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	78 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	6305  

Nice looking. I like your perf board setup. I was/am actually looking to maybe do a circuit board similar to that, although so far using the same hardware setup like r3n33 has.

As for the software: It is over 95+% Renee's and Eric's code! What I have done is to hopefully make the diode she was using not necessary in their version of the library, plus then I did some other editing to it. I then played with their library and made my own version of the led hand code that uses Adafruit neopixels. I also then updated their FSR code to compile with my changes to the library code.

What I still want to do is help debug that there may be an issue with running multiple of them without using the diode. Hopefully soon she will be happy enough with the code to release a first release of it.

Edit: Was playing some with layout using connectors (liked the idea versus soldering to them). Currently the 3d looks like:

Name:	Trinket-foot-board-3d.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	6309
    Still using resistor network, may be more temped in this case to use individual resistors. Also currently this size still needs spacer under bracket to get one FSR through, could expand board to go under bracket to make room, but then would need left versus right.
    Last edited by KurtEck; 11-27-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sonel View Post
    It's great to see that so many people are progressing with this topic!

I wanted to share my progress and I hope over the weekend I might be able to finish most of it.

Views:	132 
ID:	6307Click image for larger version. 

Views:	152 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	6308
    Another great start. At some point it might be nice to see how the readings from the bigger FSRs compare to the 0.2" size. I agree with the calibration registers and had started implementing the same thing but am not recalling how close to complete I was.

I'm also curious about how well the stick on pads will work. You'll certainly get some decent traction and direct pressure on each FSR

As for the software: It is over 95+% Renee's and Eric's code! What I have done is to hopefully make the diode she was using not necessary in their version of the library, plus then I did some other editing to it. I then played with their library and made my own version of the led hand code that uses Adafruit neopixels. I also then updated their FSR code to compile with my changes to the library code.

What I still want to do is help debug that there may be an issue with running multiple of them without using the diode. Hopefully soon she will be happy enough with the code to release a first release of it.

Edit: Was playing some with layout using connectors (liked the idea versus soldering to them). Currently the 3d looks like:

Views:	96 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	6309
    I have no objections to putting the code on github in it's current state so it can be shared.. or if you'd like to host it on your account Kurt that is perfectly OK too. That wax Alex and others can contribute or take from an alternate implementation.

I like both the perf board and carrier PCB designs because they can be securely attached to the foot plus eliminate the need to solder/wire each FSR.
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by r3n33 View Post
    I have no objections to putting the code on github in it's current state so it can be shared.. or if you'd like to host it on your account Kurt that is perfectly OK too. That wax Alex and others can contribute or take from an alternate implementation.

I like both the perf board and carrier PCB designs because they can be securely attached to the foot plus eliminate the need to solder/wire each FSR.
    Thanks Renee - I went ahead and pushed our (mostly your) stuff up to github as a new library DynamixelDevice
    You should have write access to this project.

I have it setup as a library, where all of the code is in the header file. I then have three example sketches under it, with your LED hands, FSR Feet, and my Neopixel version of the LEDs...

Also yesterday, I went ahead and ordered a set of FSR boards from OSHPark (3 boards $14.25). The boards may not be perfect, but hopefully will work. I made them such that there are two AX servo connectors as well as 2 Neopixels, such that I don't expect to fully populate them, but you can assemble them for both left and right feet with lets say an AX connector toward the back and an Led toward the front of both boards... Also in theory I should be able to use either a Pro trinket or an Arduino pro mini...

Views:	101 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	6332

I updated my Teensy board github project with this board, including the zip file I uploaded to OSHPark.
    The boards were already sent out by them to fabrication. Hopefully they will work!

Thread Information