Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY FSR Feet for the HR-OS1

Images

Re: DIY FSR Feet for the HR-OS1

Sounds great Kurt.. Though I can't take most of the credit since it's a group project. Without all our efforts we wouldn't be where we are today.

I'm really excited to hear about your FSR PCBs. If they work out I'd love to put in an order with OSHPark.
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

My order came back from OSHPark, so I have started to assemble...

So far one foot is mostly assembled:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HROS1-Feet-FSR.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	6366
    The first one I assembled using an Arduino Pro Mini (5v), as my design that allows me to use a Pro Trinket was not very good for allowing me to plug in the USB cable. On the 2nd one, I will play a little and see if using some small standoffs would help that, or may stick with the Arduino Pros... Using the FTDI cable is not the end of the world in either case...

I printed a 1mm thick spacer to go under the sensor board as to not have it potentially short out. But this is putting some stress on the one FSR that is under the bracket. I might reduce this to .5mm and see how well it prints, or ...

I have not tested the FSRs yet, the only thing I have tested is to run the neopixel strand test and the one neopixel is working...

Images

Impressive job getting all those parts aligned and installed. Can't wait to find out more!
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

Thanks, so far everything is getting back into one piece. I still need to go through and finish up my hacks on your firmware. Like I am adding in the ability to set the neopixel in the same way you were setting the RGB Leds of your hands. In both cases I moved the actual Register IDs to higher numbers as to not be in the same range as the FSR numbers or some of the standard servo values, which at times I may monitor...

Hardware wise, they went in pretty well. If I were to make a V.2 of these, I might move around a few connectors or the like to make it so that if I wanted to use the Trinket pro, I would have a clear shot to plug in USB cable... Also would maybe make it such that I could use an Arduino Pro micro (Atmega32u4) as well... But so far I have no need... In case anyone wishes to take a look the zip file I sent off to oshpark to fabricate are up on github

As I mention, I need to get back to testing this. But figure I need to get my HROS1 back into one piece. The feet are mounted, Still need to figure out how I want to attach LED hands, which I will defer to some new ideas. But I would like to mount my Chappie head.
    Was having a hard time figuring out how to get the head on. as the head did not want to go over the brackets in the neck and I don't want to try to force the opening at the bottom to try to make it work. Looking into some more I now pretty sure the Head Mount 3 bracket changed from what I have. Will talk more about it on the 3d models thread...

Hopefully later today or tomorrow will have it back in one piece!

Hum, I have no code for the triket pro , so I'll wait until someone gets a finished unit or I try to program this little tool myself. I have the arduino IDE running blink on it so it works OK.

Sorry, I have been taking my time getting my HROS1 back into one piece and I keep getting distracted with other things.

Example: I built a small chest plate that houses an 8 Neopixel stick, which also holds a Teensy 3.2 to control it. I have been using this as a learning experiment and have now made maybe 5 versions of it, as I figure out other things that I needed to do to make room. Example I had a working version, until I finally tried plugging a power cord into ODroid, and also maybe wanted to plug something into the USB3 connector. So I bumped the chest piece out by 5mm. Also wanted to make provisions, so I could plug in USB without disassembly... It took me awhile to figure out how to stretch out pieces of a design in Fusion 360...

Name:	HROS1-Neopixel-Chest-front-.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	6390
    In addition to this, I figured I needed new cables, so I ordered some 1 ft USB cables, some with right angles, plus a new power cable again with right angle, such that things could tuck in better. Also new USB hub which was supposed to be small (was not), so will scrounge for another one. Need 4 USB connections (wifi, bt, Arbotix Pro, camera) and XU4 has 3...

Now back to topic.

As you might guess, I have not tried out all of the bits and pieces yet: I think most of the parts are already up on the web, they probably still need debugging, and I want to play some with own twists on them.

Arduino FSR Feet github code: Under Examples is FSR Feet, like wise my neopixel servo code, and a version of Renee's LED hand...

FSR Code to run on HROS1: I believe a version of the code is up on Renee's Github fork of the framework in the experimentation branch. I believe some pieces of this may be in the main project (Interbotix), but I am pretty sure not all of it. Example under tutorial, she has a folder called FSR and the Interbotix version does not.

I hopefully will get all of the pieces in place soon, but would not be surprised if I get distracted again. May want to build a foot cover to make sure processor pins don't short out to leg, or may want to build one of the Teensy boards, that I had Seedstudio fabricate, or maybe print some more new parts after Trossen publishes them

Yea, all of the above. You have been so busy and productive. I want to say I am proud of you and renee. I have no Idea how you work so well together but Yea!!, and thanks!! P.S. Nice Lighting.
    The FSR Feet are the next thing I wish to get up and running.
    Last edited by LloydF; 01-05-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Hi again and Happy New Year to everyone...

Sorry, that I have been going a bit slowly with some of this.

I have had a few minor hardware issues (of my own making...).

Things like, while I was trying to get something else to work, my thumb was on the USB cable going into the Arbotix Pro, and I tore the USB connector off the board

Name:	ArbotixPro-usb-broke-off.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	6392
    I am using a right angle connector USB connector instead of the 4 wire Molex connector as with my Odroid XU4, the little connector that was using to adapt to 4 wire molex connector won't fit. If I could find the one I came with it where the molex as on the other side it might work like a champ... One of these days I need to organize everything in my office. Luckily I purchased a spare Arbotix Pro, which I am planning to use with an ODroid or the like when I convert my PhantomX hexapod to MK3, so swapped that one in. When I finished putting it back together, the Odroid would not boot. Took apart again and it worked? So just finished putting those pieces back in and it boots.

Next up, so simple updates to my Raspberry Pi project which I use to test servos and the like. Need to adapt on this one to use ttyUSB0 instead of ttyACM0. Will probably setup to handle both, or can simply set a symbolic link for /dev/ttyDXL, which my code will use automatically...

But still somewhat concerned about the foot board may short out depending on ankle angle:

Name:	HROS1-FSR-Foot.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	6393

So may try doing quick and dirty 3d cover for it, before I short things out.

Again hope everyone had a great holiday season!

Another quick update to myself

Was having issues with talking to one of the feet, so doing it now stand alone with C1, USB2AX, Powered hub... Still would not talk. Tried to reprogram the Atmega and it would not work. So the cheap Arduino Pro mini clone I purchased up on Amazon (while waiting for the one made by Sparkfun), died. Actually looking at the item again on Amazon, I am not really sure what processor it had in it... I cut the board off of my foot board, and soldered in a new Pro Trinket and that part is up and running again. Still don't have this foot back on to HROS1 yet...

I have been playing around some now with the FSR Foot code and have my Raspberry Pi project AXTest program with a command to cycle printing out the FSR values when they change. Also trying to figure out why sometimes even with USB2AX, reads from the boards fail. The data looks proper over the AX Buss, so maybe timing coming back. I updated my Raspberry Pi code up on github with the current stuff. Thinking of hacking up the FSR Foot sketch code now to set the neopixel color depending on pressures. Maybe with foot down no color, foot up maybe white, and maybe some colors depending on if the pressure shows more left to right or up to back...

This afternoon I thought I would again try it stand alone but use the Arbotix Pro instead of USB2AX. Although I unfortionatly ripped the mini USB connector off, I figured I would just hook it up using the molex connector to the Odroid C1+... Nothing....
    Decided to take a look at how the board is laid out, so I opened up the Eagle BRD file, and here shows the USB area on the board.

Name:	Arbotix-Pro-BRD-USB-area.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	6395

Guess what happens if the USB Pads come off the board? Suggestions if you come out with new rev of board. Don't route the USB Molex connector that has through holes through the USB connector pads, especially if your USB connector does not have through hole mounting pads... Hopefully I can figure out a way to patch the wires...

I was thinking of posting a question of how the status of this project has come today, but now I also have to ask if you figured out a way to fix the Arbotix Pro board, as I just tore of the usb connector on my board as well...

This usb connector is a very week link! I barely touched it and it came straight off, pulling part of the pcb with it.

Thread Information