Thread: Experiment - 3d printing hands with Neopixel...

Experiment - 3d printing hands with Neopixel...

I have been playing around some with my 3d Printer and also trying to learn some of the 3d software package to figure out which ones work for me.

One thing I have been experimenting with is with R3n33s idea of color leds in the hands, in my case I have been playing around with the Adafruit Neopixels, mounted on a small circuit board (hat) I did for the Adafruit Pro Trinket.

I have also been experimenting using Andrew's 3d printed files up on github.

Up there he split the hand into two parts (hand and wrist), I think to make it easier to print. I then hacked on it a bit to figure out where maybe I could mount the trinket board. I made a copy of the hand part, where I thickened the base part as you can see in the picture (using T-Glass currently at 235 bed 70):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HROS1-Lighted-Hand-1.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	6337

In this part I used sketchup to push some of the material down back into the hand to make a pocket. I also tried to make more room in the front for the AX connector. I had issues that it would not let me (push) cut through the curved region... (Still learning), so I had to do a little manual hacking after the printing.

Name:	HROS1-Lighted-Hand-2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	6338

I also made the pocket too tight, so if I continue down this pass for 2nd hand will update slightly, but here it shows the trinket pushed into it

Name:	HROS1-Lighted-Hand-3.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	6339

And now I just finished printing the base:

Name:	HROS1-Lighted-Hand-4.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	6340

So soon need to find the right screws and nuts to hold them together.

Wondering if I continue this way and have this level of thickness on the base, if it makes sense to downside the hole in it and maybe not go all the way through, and potentially just screw it in from wrist bracket. I read somewhere where some have had luck doing something like this using a tap.

Anyway having some fun.

Images

Re: Experiment - 3d printing hands with Neopixel...

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    In this part I used sketchup to push some of the material down back into the hand to make a pocket. I also tried to make more room in the front for the AX connector. I had issues that it would not let me (push) cut through the curved region... (Still learning), so I had to do a little manual hacking after the printing.
    I sympathize we you about learning to use 3D software and I have run into the exact same problem multiple times recently where I couldn't push or pull a surface or edge. I never have used SketchUp long enough to be able to make anything with it, but recently I've spent a lot of time learning how to do things in 123D Design. It seems that these types of programs all wind up having very similar capabilities and I know just enough about SketchUp to know this should work the same as it does in 123D Design. When I'm not able to "push" or pull like you mentioned, I will make another solid shaped like the desired result, and then do a Merge Subtract or a Merge Combine between the two parts. The additional solid I make is the one that gets subtracted or added from the original solid, thus leaving the desired shape. I also often use a 2d sketch and extrude it into a solid in Merge, Subtract, Intersect, or New Solid mode to achieve the desired effect. Hope you understand my description, and that it helps out.

AL

Thread Information