Thread: Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

1. Question Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

Hello! I recently bought a Bioloid Premium and was very upset by the "c-like" programming environnement provided with it (Roboplus Task) : it's not really user-friendly, any action on the code needs a lot of manipulation etc...

So I googled a bit and found Tician's work on this robot and its controller CM-530. I installed eclipse with WinARM and got nearly success building Robotis embeddec files (lots of warnings and only 1 error creating CM530.lss (I supposed I only needed .bin so did not mind about it)).

But what really interrests me is using Tician easy-functions. So I tried to create a new project "Makefile Project with Existing Code" but I can't get anything built : I get
    "
    13:24:12 **** Build of configuration Default for project Test_tician#1 ****
    all
    Cannot run program "": Launching failed
    Error: Program "" not found in PATH
    PATH=[C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\sys tem32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windo ws\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Mes Logiciels\Appls\Calibre\;C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\WinARM\bin;C:\WinARM\utils\b in]
    13:24:12 Build Finished (took 116ms)

"
    as if the automatically produced eclipse makefile was bad (the" all" line should certainly be a "make all" one).
    My directory structure is the unzipped "cm530-master" in wich I put an "APP/src/main.c" file containing

"
    #include "cm530.h"

int main(void)
    {

SysInit() ;

for (;
    {
    SetLED(MANAGE, TRUE);
    mDelay(500);
    SetLED(MANAGE, FALSE);
    mDelay(500);
    }
    }
    "

Please could someone do one of the following :
    - post a ready to build helloworld, ledblink or whateveritdoes CM-530 mini-project I could successfully build into .bin and test for succes
    - or explain where I make errors and how I should prepare a project directory usin Tician's job and achieve a successfull build ?

BTW I'm programming using assembler and various language till my 16th year, I used to make my own makefiles 20 years ago programming imaging treatment software when I was preparing my PhD, I know µPs and µCs as I've got Electronics Engineering gradution, I worked a bit with eclipse 15-20 years ago. But my actual job do not make use of this knowledge which I only use for hobbying. Doing short I can understand lots of explanation but it'll perhaps take me time to put away dust in my not-so-recent knowledge.

I hope someone may help me, I really want to do fine things with this robotic kit.

Images

Re: Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

My memory of 2010~2012 was completely borked by depression, so may be some holes in my advice.

I do not remember much about eclipse other than really not liking it and it never working on any of my linux systems. The only thing I do remember for certain is that the "Makefile Project with Existing Code" requires a makefile not auto-generated by eclipse. The 'apps/barebones' folder is the hello world of the easy-functions repo and includes the required makefile. Make a copy of it (or the HaViMo2 folder) to use as the basis for any future projects and modify the makefile to include any new files you add (pretty sure cpp is not well supported because of the old STM32 library and the makefile is very stupid).

I was thinking it was the cm510/530/700 easy-functions where eclipse would require you to add some paths to each project, but that was more likely the OpenCV projects as the cm530 makefile should take care of all of that as long as you keep the folder structure and identify the eclipse workspace correctly. EDIT: actually thinking about it a little more, it is much more likely that I'm remembering bits of very early attempts to use only eclipse to compile everything for the cm510/530/700 because I barely had a functioning makefile at that point and did not yet realize how much I would loathe eclipse.
    Last edited by tician; 01-27-2016 at 12:13 AM.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Images

For the useful additions of eclipse - like checking your code for properly utilized functions, etc. - you may have to add all the source files of the easy-functions and STM32_lib folders to the project so it knows what other code is being used in the target program. Compiling should be handled just fine by the makefile without any additional changes to the eclipse project settings. Could also potentially avoid eclipse altogether and just stick with a text editor while using the makefile from the command line.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    [git][mech][hack]

4. Re: Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

Thank you Tician, I managed to build my first test programs using your work, I actually copy the whole file structure in every new project directory and modify the main.c file as intended in your effort to avoid the need for modifying other files.
    I successfully uploaded those first test programs in the CM-530 using the Roboplus Terminal, it's pretty easy and straightforward.

I'm attempting now to produce mini-projects that do the same things as Robotis embeddec examples, I can get PCUART communications for example.
    I'm working on DYNAMIXEL communication trying to reproduce "09 DXL READ_WRITE" example.

I'm digging, but really happy to be able to use your work and your help.
    Eclipse isn't a "best choice" for me but rather the "first documented installation successfully acheived" one. It will do the job as right now I'm focusing on the feasability rather than the comfort.

I'll also look for information in order to build a PC application able to do the uploading in the CM-530 in replacement of the terminal. Perhaps there's a command to put the controller in reset mode, that would let me send the '#' char and then do the complete sequence that leads to a new program ready to play in the CM-530. I'll dig when I'll get enough time.

Images

The CM-510/530/700 easy-functions libraries were created mostly by cobbling together all the different components of the Robotis examples into a single collection of functions/files that supported everything in all the examples. The CM-530 was the most painful because of the size of the STM32 library (each example used different names for same functions or variables scattered in the files of its STM32 library) and all the initialization functions required.

I never had access to the source code for either the CM-530 bootloader or RoboPlus Terminal and I never bothered to snoop the USB port or the CM-530's TX/RX lines during a firmware upload, so I'm not much help with an alternate implementation of the uploader program. All I know is that after it goes into bootloader mode, you send 'ld' then somehow upload the firmware binary. If the process actually is the same as the OpenCM binary file upload process, then you may be able to use my opencm python uploader with some small modifications (different method to reboot to bootloader and slightly different commands). A program using the easy-functions could potentially perform a reboot to the bootloader like the Robotis RoboPlus firmware by sending a sequence of '#', but I never confirmed if my implementation of the BreakToBootLoader() function would actually work correctly on the CM-530 (a watchdog reset of the AVR in the CM-510/700 was much better documented than the STM32 in the CM-530, so commented it out of the CM-530 functions).
    [git][mech][hack]

Thread Information