Thread: When do we use a LIPO monitor?

1. When do we use a LIPO monitor?

Hello,

In the LIPO Guide

http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/ind...-battery-guide

it states that "We recommend that you attach your Battery Tester/Monitor whenever you are running your robot. When you are done running your robot, remove the Battery Tester/Monitor. Do not store the battery with the Battery Tester/Monitor attached, as the tester will slowly drain the battery"

Does that mean it is recommended to connect a LIPO monitor to our mobile robot all the time when the robot is moving?

In EXPO, I saw people using a LIPO monitor to check their batteries during the break rather than have the monitor attached to the robot all the time during operation.

Re: When do we use a LIPO monitor?

Whenever the battery is connected to some other device, you should also connect the battery monitor.
    The reason is that a LiPo battery that is over-discharged will be damaged, and will either not be able to be charged again, or (more worryingly) will overheat when attempting to charge it.
    You should not discharge a LiPo battery below 3.2V per "cell" (a 11.1V battery has 3 "cells") and that's what the LiPo monitor warns about.
    If your battery somehow gets drained below 3.0V per cell somehow, you should discard the battery and not attempt to re-charge it, for safety.

Also, as the instructions say: The monitor itself also draws a little bit of power from the battery, and thus will discharge the battery over time, so disconnect it when you disconnect the battery from the robot (or if you turn off the switch, and put the robot away, while keeping the battery connected.)

3. Re: When do we use a LIPO monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Whenever the battery is connected to some other device, you should also connect the battery monitor.
    The reason is that a LiPo battery that is over-discharged will be damaged, and will either not be able to be charged again, or (more worryingly) will overheat when attempting to charge it.
    You should not discharge a LiPo battery below 3.2V per "cell" (a 11.1V battery has 3 "cells") and that's what the LiPo monitor warns about.
    If your battery somehow gets drained below 3.0V per cell somehow, you should discard the battery and not attempt to re-charge it, for safety.

Also, as the instructions say: The monitor itself also draws a little bit of power from the battery, and thus will discharge the battery over time, so disconnect it when you disconnect the battery from the robot (or if you turn off the switch, and put the robot away, while keeping the battery connected.)

Thanks jwatte. When the battery monitor beeps, I should charge the LIPO. Am I right?

Re: When do we use a LIPO monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Thanks jwatte. When the battery monitor beeps, I should charge the LIPO. Am I right?
    Absolutely. Once it beeps, further discharging the battery puts you at risk of damaging the cells. Unplug the monitor, unplug and remove the battery from the robot, and put the battery on a charger.

5. Re: When do we use a LIPO monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by wadecore View Post
    Absolutely. Once it beeps, further discharging the battery puts you at risk of damaging the cells. Unplug the monitor, unplug and remove the battery from the robot, and put the battery on a charger.
    Thanks wadecore

Thread Information