Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doideka Robot

Re: 3 Legged walker

Walking is not that important, folding into a ball is.
    I understand that this is a 3d computer model being animated and what it does and how it moves has nothing to do with real world physics or mechanics. IBuilding this so it folds into a ball shape shouldn't be that hard, it's all in the right design.

Goal 1 is to build a real Droideka robot that can fold into a ball and unfold from a ball into a standing position and then start 'shooting' with sound effects and lights.
    Goal 2 would be to add targeting and tracking sensors so the head and arms/guns would track and shoot a target. Camera, motion detector, radar, etc
    Goal 3 Fold into a ball, Roll forward, unfold from a roll. Like we see in the movie and like the quadwalker in the video above.

If I can build this so it sits in a ball then rolls forward unfolds into attack position and back into a ball again I'll be happy.

Goal 4. walking ...and if not walking than roller heels.
    Last edited by Sinza; 02-22-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Hey....How do I change the name of this post. I didn't post this here. This started as my introduction post. I was going to do a post on my project when I saw someone made this. The thread Should be named 'Droideka Robot' not 3-legged walker.
    Last edited by Sinza; 03-14-2016 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling error-please fix main title mr. moderator

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sinza View Post
    The thread Should be named 'Doideka Robot' not 3-legged walker.
    Fixed!

Thank you Sir!

Images

Re: Doideka Robot

Not a problem!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drd2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	6500
    A picture to show where my thoughts are. Still in the planning stage but I have made a full size cardboard mock up that I've started to swap out with plastic parts.
    I'm thinking RX28 for the legs and spine and RX24F for the rest. At 72g each that puts it around 5lbs total. I've watched the Trossen video of a 5lb bag on a RX24F and it seemed to handle it just fine.
    Any thoughts are greatly appriciated. I'll need to buy servos in bulk, so maybe in May I can drop $1000 for 6 more servos.

Looking great!

RX28 should handle it. HSW uses AX12A/+ in his legs, can walk with 7lb total weight. RX28 would increase the joint capacity to about 150% of the AX12,so one less leg should still hold a lot of weight.

About how tall is he going to be in total?

It's not just the amount of mass/weight, but also the length of the lever that matters.
    5 pounds on a 3 inch lever is very different from 5 pounds on a 30 inch lever :-)

Images

It sure looks cool! But I'm afraid you'll have serious challenge when it comes to total mass/weight. It might work if the robot just stand on the legs (no walking), as soon as you lift one of the legs (even when shifting COG) it will tip over. What is the horizontal distance between femur horn and the foot?

Anyway, good luck!
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

I was assuming an approximate 1.5ft total height, which would make for about 5in leg sections, considering the scale of RX series servos.

Thread Information