Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

  1. #11

    Re: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

    Owon SDS7102 looks good: http://amzn.to/1Sqm5zs
    Also consider the Saleae Pro 8 or 16: https://www.saleae.com/
    They can capture analog signals with up to 10V swing, in addition to digital. (at 50 Ms/s with 5 MHz input)

  2. Re: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Owon SDS7102 looks good: http://amzn.to/1Sqm5zs
    Also consider the Saleae Pro 8 or 16: https://www.saleae.com/
    They can capture analog signals with up to 10V swing, in addition to digital. (at 50 Ms/s with 5 MHz input)

    Thanks. In case I want a 4 channels scope with storage, which products do you recommend?
    If I have the Saleae Pro 8 or 16, I can just use a 2 channels scope rather than a 4 channels one? Not sure if I should spend extra money to buy an additional computer to connect to the Saleae.

  3. #13

    Re: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

    The Saleae will work on any computer/laptop with USB-3 port.
    Their Linux software works fine, too! I use it a lot.

    Do you need 4 channels with storage? On the one hand, you get that from the Saleae, for up to 10V signals.
    So a simple scope that makes you able to verify that sifnals wiggle and estimate power overshoot may be all you need.

    On the other hand, if you have complex analog circuitry with lots of time dependent signals, maybe you do need that much?
    (I haven't, but I don't do that much hard core analog.)
    For example, if you build your own brushless motor drivers, or qualify external such drivers to high standards, three channels might help.
    I wouldn't know what to recommend in those price ranges. Tektronix's good, I hear :-)
    TBS 2104? http://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/tbs2...c-oscilloscope

  4. Re: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    The Saleae will work on any computer/laptop with USB-3 port.
    Their Linux software works fine, too! I use it a lot.

    Do you need 4 channels with storage? On the one hand, you get that from the Saleae, for up to 10V signals.
    So a simple scope that makes you able to verify that sifnals wiggle and estimate power overshoot may be all you need.

    On the other hand, if you have complex analog circuitry with lots of time dependent signals, maybe you do need that much?
    (I haven't, but I don't do that much hard core analog.)
    For example, if you build your own brushless motor drivers, or qualify external such drivers to high standards, three channels might help.
    I wouldn't know what to recommend in those price ranges. Tektronix's good, I hear :-)
    TBS 2104? http://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/tbs2...c-oscilloscope

    Thanks for your reply. My computer does not have USB-3 port. I plan to buy a new computer this Fall.

    I did some work using a 4 channels scope in the past. I need to see the relationship between input and various outputs.

    For robotics work, is a bandwidth of 70-100MHz, real-time sampling rate of 1GSa/s per channel and 10M maximum memory depth sufficient?

    I just found that a company called GWINSTEK is on sales.

    http://www.gwinstek.ca/promotions/68...s#.V8xF17VkSnP

  5. #15

    Re: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

    For robotics work, is a bandwidth of 70-100MHz, real-time sampling rate of 1GSa/s per channel and 10M maximum memory depth sufficient?
    Yes, that would be plenty, even for advanced design and qualification.

  6. #16

    Re: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

    Warning - My virus detection stuff does not like that website. Not sure if it is being overly cautious, but...

    Again I don't have any scopes, so can not answer too much there. Except I do use Saleae logic Analyzers. I had one of their Orginal 8's which I gave away, but still have the older 16, plus new 8 and recently purchased a Pro 8, as there are times I needed the higher rates for sampling things like SPI running at high speed, where I want 4 or 5 IO pins (MOSI, MISO, CLK, CS, DC) for some displays.

    But the majority of the time the non pro has been sufficient and it is USB 2. The Pro can run on USB 2, but much slower...

    So again depends on your needs.

  7. Re: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Yes, that would be plenty, even for advanced design and qualification.
    Thanks. From the website, for the 4-Channel ones, it costs only an additional US$40 to go from 100MHz to 200MHz.
    However, it costs US$380 to go from 70MHz to 100MHz. Not sure if it is worth to get more than 70MHz.

  8. Re: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    But the majority of the time the non pro has been sufficient and it is USB 2. The Pro can run on USB 2, but much slower...

    So again depends on your needs.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

  9. #19

    Re: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

    Also note that different vendors have different amounts of noise and different quality of the input stages/amplifiers in the scopes.
    Lower prices often (but not always) means you give up something real to get that lower price.
    Usually one of higher noise, lower effective resolution, or lower input impedance.

  10. Re: Oscilloscope and function generator for robotics research

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Also note that different vendors have different amounts of noise and different quality of the input stages/amplifiers in the scopes.
    Lower prices often (but not always) means you give up something real to get that lower price.
    Usually one of higher noise, lower effective resolution, or lower input impedance.
    Looks like I may need to pay a bit more. In terms of amounts of noise and quality of input stages/amplifiers, how is Keysight's scopes compared with the GWINSTEK's and the others?


    Is 70MHz sufficient for advanced robotics research?

    Currently considering the Owon SDS7102, GDS-2204E, GDS-2104A, GDS-2104E, GDS-2074E or DSOX2004A, DSOX2014A, MSOX2004A or the MSOX2014A. Any suggestion? Hope to get one that can do the job well but not too expensive.
    Last edited by Snoopy; 09-05-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mini oscilloscope and function generator
    By Snoopy in forum Robotics General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-10-2015, 05:13 PM
  2. Schoenflies-motion generator project
    By mizliller in forum Robotics General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 12:19 AM
  3. Goverment Grants for robotics research.
    By jdolecki in forum Robotics General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 02:56 PM
  4. Looking for Oscilloscope recomendations
    By Sienna in forum Arbotix, Microcontrollers, Arduino
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 09:48 AM
  5. Check out this Oscilloscope
    By Droid Works in forum Robotics General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 08:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •