Thread: Arbotix-m robocontroller and Xbee

1. Arbotix-m robocontroller and Xbee

Hi all,
    I want to communicate through Xbee my pc, and my arbotix-m robocontroller, but i cant upload the firmware available here: http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/ind...otix#&panel1-1

I have the Xbees Series 2. Is that the problem??? Should i use the Xbees Series 1???
    Please help me and Thank you all!

Re: Arbotix-m robocontroller and Xbee

If you are talking about the XBee profiles, that you can use with the X-CTU software, i would guess that they would not work with Series 2 XBees.

I have not done much with Series 2s and have not touched one for a few years, but I would guess they could be configured to work with each other. The main thing is that they care configured such that they are both on same channel, the ID of one is the destination of the other... What I don't remember about 2's is if by default they work in a peer to peer mode or are in some other mesh mode. So you need to do some configuration...

Hopefully someone else who is currently using some 2s will weigh in.

Kurt

Yes, there are a few things that vary.

First, so far the Arbotix set has been designed for Xbee series 1. Series 2 is totally different and won't use the same serial protocol.

Second, some Arbotix boards/products will use the same serial port for Xbee and for sketch uploading/programming, so you have to unplug the Xbee when programming the board.

4. Re: Arbotix-m robocontroller and Xbee

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    If you are talking about the XBee profiles, that you can use with the X-CTU software, i would guess that they would not work with Series 2 XBees.

I have not done much with Series 2s and have not touched one for a few years, but I would guess they could be configured to work with each other. The main thing is that they care configured such that they are both on same channel, the ID of one is the destination of the other... What I don't remember about 2's is if by default they work in a peer to peer mode or are in some other mesh mode. So you need to do some configuration...

Hopefully someone else who is currently using some 2s will weigh in.

Kurt
    I have configured my two xbees series 2 to talk each other, i can do it with other platforms. But i couldn´t communicate with this arbotix m robocontroller... maybe just work with the series one ones, thanks for your answer!

5. Re: Arbotix-m robocontroller and Xbee

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Yes, there are a few things that vary.

First, so far the Arbotix set has been designed for Xbee series 1. Series 2 is totally different and won't use the same serial protocol.

Second, some Arbotix boards/products will use the same serial port for Xbee and for sketch uploading/programming, so you have to unplug the Xbee when programming the board.
    oh that is so disgusting, now i have to buy the xbees series 1? there must be another solution! i just want that my pc talk with my arbotix-m robocontroller through my xbees series 2 any help or link would be appreciated! thank you!

Images

Series 1 modules and Series 2 modules are not inter-operable, but both should interact with the arbotix in exactly the same way when configured correctly by X-CTU to create a transparent serial link between the pair of modules of the same series. The modules cannot be connected to X-CTU for configuration while plugged into the arbotix or the commander, and the modules cannot be used to wirelessly program the arbotix.

How much of the module configuration process did you complete using X-CTU and the UartSBee or Xbee Explorer USB? Does X-CTU correctly detect the modules? Does it offer to update the firmware of the modules? What are the various settings for each of the modules as reported by X-CTU?
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh
    more bleh

7. Re: Arbotix-m robocontroller and Xbee

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    Series 1 modules and Series 2 modules are not inter-operable, but both should interact with the arbotix in exactly the same way when configured correctly by X-CTU to create a transparent serial link between the pair of modules of the same series. The modules cannot be connected to X-CTU for configuration while plugged into the arbotix or the commander, and the modules cannot be used to wirelessly program the arbotix.

How much of the module configuration process did you complete using X-CTU and the UartSBee or Xbee Explorer USB? Does X-CTU correctly detect the modules? Does it offer to update the firmware of the modules? What are the various settings for each of the modules as reported by X-CTU?
    I have two xbees series 2, and i have configured them. One as COORDINATOR and the other as ROUTER, i use them in other project to communicate 2 arduino boards through its serial pins (Tx, Rx) and works perfect.

But when i put the modules (one on the arbotix-m board and the other on my xbee explorer plugged to my pc) they do nothing. Should i use an other configuration to my xbees? maybe one as "end device"?

Thanks!!!

Is the baud rate correct?

9. Re: Arbotix-m robocontroller and Xbee

Yes. both of them are with 9600.

Images

Is that the baudrate the sketch and PC control program are using? I seem to remember 38400 bps being default for most arbotix sketches.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh
    more bleh

Thread Information