Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamixel X-series

Images

Talking Dynamixel X-series

Hi,

I just saw this video on youtube. Not much info about them, but they sure looks interesting. I hope they are a little cheaper than the Pro series. I've not found any specs, but it looks like they have superior resolution compared to the MX-series.

Does anyone know anything about them?
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Re: Dynamixel X-series

Their website has a manual:

http://support.robotis.com/en/produc...l/x_series.htm

It lists the XL-320, which is 1024-over-300 resolution like the AX-12, and XM430, which seems like an evolution of MX.
    Same sensor (4096-over-360 resolution.) Only RS-422. Square-ish body (no flanges.) Integrated idler on the back.

Torque curves seem to indicate that XM430-W350 is a lot slower than the MX-64 with only slightly less torque (and less current consumption) whereas XM-430-W210 is about twice as fast, half the torque.

If they price this more like the XL rather than like the MX, they will be a hit!

Edit: This photo seems slightly inconsistent. The back shows the full back covered, but the front makes it seem as if there is a waist notch on the back:

Last edited by jwatte; 04-22-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Images

More likely a removable cover for accessing the cables/connectors on the back and routing cables through the idler horn bearing.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

That seems likely -- well spotted!

Also, it turns out we discussed these before, and Xevel has a few:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...-servos-XM-430
    Last edited by jwatte; 04-22-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Images

Oh, I see. Not that a fresh news after all. I think I missed that post. Thanks for the links guys.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

6. Re: Dynamixel X-series

They released the second batch of beta (I have a few of these too), and they fixed the problems we found out during the first beta (like a risk of twisting the output shaft : it had a groove just as it exited the servo, and now it's a solid cylinder).
    But the rest of the hardware seem similar to the first ones.

The firmware has evolved a lot, and now we have current feedback, current control (close to torque control ), position control with torque control (new mode). There is simple internal interpolation (speed limitation, accel limitataion, jerk limitation) too now when in position control mode.
    Current control is really cool for a gripper for example.

There is still a lot of intertia and friction in the gears (mostly on the torque version, less so on the speed version) so the conversion from current to actual torque will have an important margin of error, but you still get interesting results, mostly at light loads from what I could test.

They added a nifty functionality that allows you to remap some registers to an unused part of the register map, this way you can put all the registers you want to read from next to each other and then read them all with one sync_read command

Two version will be available, one fast and one with high torque.

No info on price yet, one of the question they asked beta testers was "what would you think a fair price for these would be". I'm hoping something similar to MX-28, but I would not be surprised at 300 either.
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

I'm hoping half the price of MX-28! :-)

Images

$200 would be nice.

But it's not like people are going to rush to replace their MX-64Ts with these.

Are these going to replace the MX, like the MX replaced the RX? Or will they keep making the MX?

Images

I doubt they will stop making the MX-series dynamixels since there are quite a few in circulation and they do not have compatible frames/mounting systems. The XM-series seem more like a low end Dynamixel Pro for entirely new robot designs, while the MX will probably remain in production for the DARwIn-OP and similar designs.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    I doubt they will stop making the MX-series dynamixels since there are quite a few in circulation and they do not have compatible frames/mounting systems. The XM-series seem more like a low end Dynamixel Pro for entirely new robot designs, while the MX will probably remain in production for the DARwIn-OP and similar designs.
    That would be cool. More options.

I would love to see prices come down across the board on the MX line. Electronics prices are always coming down, yet these are still so dang pricey. The 106 is particularly egregious. $500? And is it really an extra $200 worth of servo compared to the 64?

These prices would be more reasonable:
    AX-12 $35
    MX-28 $120
    MX-64 $200
    MX-106 $300

Oh, and just make the AT aluminum upgrade baseline.

Thread Information