Thread: Darwin OP robot using raspberry pi

1. Darwin OP robot using raspberry pi

Hey everyone, I was wondering if it is possible to compile and run the Darwin OP source code at least the walking movement to the raspberry pi 2? I've read about it in the internet using ubuntu 10.10 but haven't tried it yet using raspbian.

I'm also wondering if anyone had tried it before and it works, can we use an FTDI instead of CM730? and can we use other sensors that is not from a Darwin OP?

In summary I am trying to make my own version of Darwin OP robot using my own sensors and FTDI.

For your information I'm not talking about the Apple Darwin OS, I'm talking about the Darwin OP robot from robotis.

Thanks in advance.

Images

Re: Darwin OP robot using raspberry pi

It can easily run on all versions of the RPi. The DARwIn-OP framework requires the CM-730 and the Arbotix-Pro is a drop-in replacement for the CM-730 if you do not want to buy the entire DARwIn-OP electronics kit. The framework could be modified to use a USB2Dynamixel or USB2AX, but the modifications required would be extensive.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

3. Re: Darwin OP robot using raspberry pi

so I can use an Arbotix-Pro and do not need to change any of the codes?

Images

Re: Darwin OP robot using raspberry pi

Yeah, it should work without any modifications to the DARwIn-OP framework as long as you get the most recent version of the framework. There were a few changes in libraries and compilers between the initial OS of the DARwIn-OP and newer versions of ubuntu that required a couple small code changes that should have been applied in the newest releases of the framework. If any errors do pop up during compilation of the framework, just copy-paste them here and we should be able to help.

If you plan to use the external GPIO/ADC values of the CM-730/Arbotix-Pro reported by the firmware, there may be small changes in the order of the table. Nothing that would affect the framework, but custom code utilizing those extra pins may need to change which address they read from (very easy and simple to fix).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Thread Information