Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not wanting to re-invent the wheel - or foot in this case...

Images

Re: Not wanting to re-invent the wheel - or foot in this case...

I did look at the FSRs, and was seriously considering them at one point. The only thing stopping me is my desire for a rotating foot. Watching it walk across a smooth surface, rotating each foot with almost two pounds of static weight on it, is painful!

Servo emulation is very interesting! Especially considering there's a servo I could chain to on each foot, with 12v power, just a few inches away. It certainly calls to my love of tidy wiring solutions! Hmmm....

Images

Re: Not wanting to re-invent the wheel - or foot in this case...

Latest status: I'm having basic replacement feet supports CNC milled from aluminum. Once I receive them I'll manually attach IR emitters and sensors to the top of each one, and wire them to an Arduino Trinket Pro mounted next to the foot assembly on each leg. I will want to put more sensors on each foot (like FLIR!), so I want some (expandable) processing power at the end of each foot. And I can just run FDTI down each leg, instead of having a ton of sensor wires running all over the place.

I'll have serial data to/from each leg, plus it's maddening not having a serial port I can use for debugging, so I'm adding an Arduino Mega board with a home-brewed dual quad-UART (QUART) shield as a custom multiplexer/router. I'll have 8 more uarts on the body (from the shield). plus the Mega's own uarts.

I've chosen a QUART that has a 16-byte data FIFO and can provide FIFO threshold interrupts, so I can get 10 or more bytes per interrupt. I'll be able to run pretty high data rates up the legs, which also means my sensor response times will be just a few ms, which is very good.

I've also decided to ditch the power switch entirely, replacing it with a power MosFet and Off/On push buttons. This way I can get inactivity and low-voltage shutdowns.

This is fun!
    Last edited by Brooks; 06-16-2016 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Grammar!

Thread Information