Thread: Robotis DropBOX App?

Robotis DropBOX App?

I received an email that said it came from ROTOTIS INC <[email protected]>

That said...
    ROBOTIS INC has requested to use Drop box application to share some files with you,
    Advice to verify your email address to view the secure document
    <view document>
    NOTE : You are accessing a highly secured important Document.

Thanks!
    Drop box Team
    There is a button that says View document, which links up with some site like:
    bullridership... Which I feels very dubious.

Have others received this? I am assuming this is bogus?

But just wondering

Re: Robotis DropBOX App?

I haven't personally received an email like this, but it has all the signs of some sort of phishing scam.
    1.) The mail would have come from one of Dropbox's bots had someone actually shared something with you on dropbox.
    2.) Is ROTOTIS your typo, or did you copy and paste that?
    3.) The name Dropbox is a single word, not two as used several times in the email.
    4.) bullridership... cripes.

Be careful, that's a mess. Thank you for sharing, as I'm sure if they're trying to hit you with this, they might be trying to phish other Robotis customers (ie: pretty much this entire community).

Images

Given the bad grammar and sketchy link, probably bogus. Just let my dropbox account expire and close a couple days ago, but immediately after _ADAM_ mentioned powerball in the 'are dynamixels servos brushless' thread I received three spam emails about powerball winner notification. At least they seem to have mostly stopped trying to get me to go to Plano, TX.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Hello everyone,

As an employee of ROBOTIS, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this email may have caused. We were affected by a phishing/spamware email this morning, and this email went out. Please DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK, AND DELETE IMMEDIATELY. We believe we have since dealt with the problem, and hopefully there are no lingering effects. Again, I sincerely apologize.

Best regards,

ROBOTIS, Inc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    Given the bad grammar and sketchy link, probably bogus. Just let my dropbox account expire and close a couple days ago, but immediately after _ADAM_ mentioned powerball in the 'are dynamixels servos brushless' thread I received three spam emails about powerball winner notification. At least they seem to have mostly stopped trying to get me to go to Plano, TX.
    D'oh! Sorry about that! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wadecore View Post
    I haven't personally received an email like this, but it has all the signs of some sort of phishing scam.
    1.) The mail would have come from one of Dropbox's bots had someone actually shared something with you on dropbox.
    2.) Is ROTOTIS your typo, or did you copy and paste that?
    3.) The name Dropbox is a single word, not two as used several times in the email.
    4.) bullridership... cripes.

Be careful, that's a mess. Thank you for sharing, as I'm sure if they're trying to hit you with this, they might be trying to phish other Robotis customers (ie: pretty much this entire community).
    Probably some of my own Typos...

The word DropBox appears both ways in the email. like copyright Dropbox, but it mentions Drop box Team.

I go in spurts of different types of spam/phish emails lately, including: ones that supposedly I sent some document or photo to myself, or my fax is ready to send, or my Amazon something is about to expire... But some of these harder to determine if they are legit or not.

I got the same email. I believe it's a phishing attempt.
    I happen to have a friend who works at Dropbox (not Drop Box) and he laughed at the clumsy formulation of it when I showed it to him :-)

Anyway, the reason phishing people often use clumsy images, is because it filters out the people who are normally suspicious and will generally try to "make something of it" if they fall for the initial bit but then catch on.

Images

So...

If they have your email address (I don't see it on your public profile), and they know you are into Robotis stuff, then that means someone probably got hacked.... like the Trossen forums. I've heard these forum engines are vulnerable to hacking. Could also mean that they have your password. Maybe this isn't what happened, but I'd use a unique (generated) password for these kinds of sites.

Images

See above post from Robotis or read their reply below.

Hello everyone,

As an employee of ROBOTIS, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this email may have caused. We were affected by a phishing/spamware email this morning, and this email went out. Please DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK, AND DELETE IMMEDIATELY. We believe we have since dealt with the problem, and hopefully there are no lingering effects. Again, I sincerely apologize.

Best regards,

ROBOTIS, Inc.

Thread Information