Thread: Onw Hexapod Code

1. Onw Hexapod Code

Hello everyone.
    Last year i bought a PhantomX Hexapod and PhantomX Robot Turret Kit. I used the standart Nuke code and the Phoenix Code for the Hexapod and I combined them. The turret was predefined in the Phoenix Code and with a bit of Work I used to get a Pixy to work with everything and it followed objects.
    For showing what is possible the Phoenix Code is great but I want to start my own Project with my own Code.
    As additional Hardware I have a Raspberry PI2 which I want to use but not know exactly how.
    My Questions and Targets:
    - The Hexapod should have two modes: 1. Control with the given Controller; 2.Full autonomous walking and finding his way

- I've read much about ROS and in this Forum many member use ROS for their Robots and the Videos look great. I've installed it and did the tutorial. I got the newest release Kintic Kame on my Raspberry but couldn't finde maintained Packeges for the Arbotix-M or the Dynamixel servos.

- In the autonomous walking mode I want to look up what the Robots sees, as Sensor I want to use ultrasonic, Pixy, Gyroscope and then I will buy what I think will fit the most.

I don't know where to start, therefor I bought two Kits to get two Arbotix-M. One that the Hexapod can walk or get tested Code, and one for testing with a 3 other Servos.

Should I go with ROS, stay within Arduino IDE or try something different?

Images

Re: Onw Hexapod Code

Please add pictures of the robot and also some video if you have it.

Images

I have a ROS hexapod stack that interfaces with the ROS navigation stack. That gives you path planning and obstacle avoidance. Although I will have to warn you, the navigation stack at minimum needs a 2D mapping of the surroundings, 3D preferred. You could take a look and see what I have. Renee and Kurt have both tested it with their PhantomX hexapods so I'm confident the config works.

With that being said though, you sound very new to all of this hardware included. Jumping into ROS is not the easiest task. There is a lot to it and as you've seen Kinetic isn't fully fleshed out, so there will be some porting and compiling you will have to do manually.

The link to my github is in my signature.

4. Re: Onw Hexapod Code

Here is a Video, where I mounted a Pixy Cam : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxy4qaX-WAc

I've seen that you have done some really cool stuff and I want to learn it too. I started last year with buying a Raspberry PI2 and learning the simple things in the starter Kits. Also I bought some Arduinos Starter Kits with more Hardware: Sensors, Motors, Servos and led's. After doing lerning the Tutorials I've done own Projects.

I know that learning everything isn't easy and it will take time. Buying a 1200€ Hexapod and using it as a Toy wasn't my intention. I want to learn from everyone here, look at other Projects get ideas and inspirations.
    The Point is where do I start, I study electrical engineering and last semester we got technical informatics and programming with C, I know the basics but not more.

Images

How do you like the pixy? I thought about picking one up, but the size kind of put me off. I ended up buying a havimo, which is tiny, but I've not done anything with it yet.

Images

The HaViMo is quite nice if you are using a purely embedded (arduino/arbotix-m) robot without any extra UARTs. It is nowhere near as powerful as the Pixy, but still nice with its dynamixel interface permitting control by a CM-510/530/700/900 using the same UART as the dynamixels (except XL-320 with DXL2.0 protocol, unless there has been a firmware update). If you have a RPi or other computer on the bot, then neither the Pixy nor the HaViMo is very useful compared to a USB or CSI camera with OpenCV or some other processing system.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Thread Information