Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

  1. Re: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

    Quote Originally Posted by fma View Post
    Pygame is a little bit overkill. I just found this package:

    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/inputs

    Should be very easy to migrate from evdev to inputs.

    Can you tell me what is the complete reference of your board? As it is does not follow the SSC-32 API, I would like to give another name to the driver...
    Sorry, was away from a computer for the weekend. The board itself is called a Torobot USC-32. The API is just a bunch of serial commands (across a USB wire) that appear to be similar to the SSC-32 but don't seem to quite be the full API. Here is the manual for it. Mine is a slightly newer rev but nothing has changed in the way it operates (mine just looks a bit different in the chip layout).

    I'll look into so cross platform inputs for the joysticks so I can run from my Mac or Windows machines too.

    Thanks for supporting me.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Grenoble, France
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

    I implemented the new driver (I will call it USC32), it was really easy.

    But I need more time to switch to the 'inputs' package. Can you make some tests on MacOS? I would like to be sure it works fine, before spending time to migrate...

  3. Re: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

    Quote Originally Posted by fma View Post
    I implemented the new driver (I will call it USC32), it was really easy.

    But I need more time to switch to the 'inputs' package. Can you make some tests on MacOS? I would like to be sure it works fine, before spending time to migrate...
    I'll test out out the inputs package on OSX (High Sierra) today with my Logitech F710 gamepad and give you some feedback on how it works.

  4. Re: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

    Quote Originally Posted by scprotz View Post
    I'll test out out the inputs package on OSX (High Sierra) today with my Logitech F710 gamepad and give you some feedback on how it works.
    So the inputs package seems to only work with XBox360 controllers. I'm using off the shelf USB controllers and don't currently have an XBox360 controller. My initial tests just showed 0 gamepads connected even though I had the Logitech one connect. Also required PyObjC just to get it up and kinda running (fairly heavy). Mouse and keyboard didn't work either (I think the package PyObjC calls are incorrect). So analysis is that inputs doesn't really work on Mac.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Grenoble, France
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

    Ok, so I won't migrate to inputs...

    I suggest your get a RPi3 to deploy Py4bot, it will be easier.

  6. Re: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

    Quote Originally Posted by fma View Post
    Ok, so I won't migrate to inputs...

    I suggest your get a RPi3 to deploy Py4bot, it will be easier.
    I have a RPi2. Does that have enough compute power?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Grenoble, France
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

    I don't know. The difference is not that high, especially if you overclock a little bit the RPi2 (1000MHz/500MHz/50MHz).

    Py4bot will run, the robot global speed will just be limited a little bit before the RPi3. As Hexapods are not designed to walk fast, it is not an issue.

  8. Re: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

    A couple notes on the current framework:

    My environment first - I run Python3 on a Mac (currently Homebrew 3.6.4)

    1. Visual is now called VPython (I think that was always the package?). This just means the imports need to change from 'visual' to 'vpython' . I don't know yet if that is the case on other platforms
    2. print statements are missing parenthesis. I'd recommend adding them as they are mandatory in 3 (and optional in 2).
    3. evdev missing from the framework (I'll see if I can make a module that is equivalent for the Mac)


    I'm currently just trying with the 3D Simulator version to get it up and running. Please let me know any thoughts on that.

  9. Re: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

    Quote Originally Posted by scprotz View Post
    A couple notes on the current framework:

    My environment first - I run Python3 on a Mac (currently Homebrew 3.6.4)

    1. Visual is now called VPython (I think that was always the package?). This just means the imports need to change from 'visual' to 'vpython' . I don't know yet if that is the case on other platforms
    2. print statements are missing parenthesis. I'd recommend adding them as they are mandatory in 3 (and optional in 2).
    3. evdev missing from the framework (I'll see if I can make a module that is equivalent for the Mac)


    I'm currently just trying with the 3D Simulator version to get it up and running. Please let me know any thoughts on that.

    4. I'm using the Logitech controllers too (so I'll try to make a frontend for those)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Grenoble, France
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Py4bot - a Python Framework for Multi-Legs Robots

    Yes, Py4bot is written for Python2.x. It may be easy to switch to Python3.x, but I had issues with recent visual packages (at least on my debian), that's why I didn't use Python3.x...

    As said before, evdev could be replaced by inputs, but as it does not work on MacOS, it does not worth the effort.

    I really suggest you deploy Py4bot on your Pi, it will be easier, and you will have a running hexapod.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Interesting RPI3 with the HROS1-Framework.
    By LloydF in forum HR-OS1 Development and Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2016, 01:58 AM
  2. Camera / Vision Processing (within the HR-OS1 Framework)
    By r3n33 in forum HR-OS1 Development and Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-20-2016, 08:00 AM
  3. Why using Python to control robots?
    By Snoopy in forum Software and Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2015, 10:48 PM
  4. framework for robotics
    By iacoposk8 in forum Robotics General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM
  5. Question(s) PhantomX Code 6 legs in to 8 legs
    By Kar in forum Software and Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 08:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •