Thread: ArbotiX 1.6 Files / Libraries

Post ArbotiX 1.6 Files / Libraries

Today we're releasing a beta run of the ArbotiX hardware and Library files for Arduino 1.6 (finally!)
    https://github.com/Interbotix/arboti...rduino-1-6.zip

We're hoping to make the libraries 'official' in about two weeks after I've gotten some feedback. Until then, the main learn.trossenrobotics.com pages for each robot/project will stay the way they are, which reference the old libraries, so there might be some inconstancies. These will all be resolved when the new libraries are made official.

Some notes
    -A new and improved setup guide can be found here
    http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/pro...6-x-setup.html
    Currently the install method is the standard 'add the files to your Arduino Folder' but I'm also considering making a Boards Manager file for the ArbotiX. My main concern is that the libraries get a little obscured, but I think it will be fine as long as we have both installation methods.

-We're using doxygen style commenting to generate ArbotiX library documentation
    http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/pro...mentation.html

-Function renaming. Some of the core functions have had their names changed - mainly to replace 'ax12' with 'dxl'. However, there are macros for all of the old functions, so there should be full backwards compatibility with all old code. Please let us know if anything using old functions has been broken. We are deprecating several old functions in favor of new functions.
    Legacy Functions / Macros

-Support for all DYNAMIXEL 1.0 Instructions</a>. First there's now support for the regWrite, reset and MX bulk read instructions. There's also now generic functions for sync write (as opposed to being tied to the bioloid library)
    Instruction Based Functions

-New reporting functions. There are now functions for reporting data directly to the serial port - this includes voltage, errors and general servo status. These are designed for quick debugging and to help the build-check sketches. There are also sibling functions to get this data returned back to you the program.
    Serial Reporting Functions

-Servo Modes. Different servo modes are now wrapped into functions (joint mode, wheel mode, multi-turn mode(MX servos) and torque mode (MX 64/106). There are also some other 'helper' functions to make your life easier.
    Helper Functions

-Get/Set macros. There's also a lot of new macros to help with reading and writing to registers. you can still set registers by number manually, but it can be handy to have the macro pull specific registers.
    Register GET Functions / Macros
    Register SET Functions / Macros

-Examples. There's a large library of examples using various functions, from basic commands all the way to demos like servo followers. Also, 'ArbotiX Sketches' has been moved into examples under 'ArbotiX Libraries' Let me know if you find errors, if anything is confusing, or you'd like another example.
    https://Github.com/Interbotix/arboti...botiX/examples

-Improved Robot Test Code. I've made several improvements to the build check programs to make debugging easier

-Git hub page
    https://github.com/Interbotix/arbotix/tree/arduino-1-6

I'd like to thank KurtEck who has been instrumental in this release. Thank you Kurte for all your hard work and support.

I've also been working with Kurte's library improvements, though I've hit some odd behavior with some of my MX servos - I'll make another post detailing that later this week.

ArbotiX/Library Goals

Short Term
    Improved Examples
    Fix any bugs / apply feedback
    Boards Manager package
    Deploy new library officially

Medium Term
    Integrate Kurte's Library improvements
    Remove all deprecated functions from robot example code
    Better Bioloid library documentation / examples
    Documentation pages for example code
    Serial Monitor based servo ID / scanning sketch

Long Term
    RS-485 hardware (i.e. RX Bridge V2)
    Dynamixel 2.0 communication support
    Class based code for Dynamixel library (dxl.setRegister() etc)

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. As always, thank you!

Re: ArbotiX 1.6 Files / Libraries

I am happy to see things are up! Congrats

It will be interesting to see what the issues are with the MX servos and newer libraries. I only have one MX-12 so not sure how much I can debug from here. But let me know if you can think of anything that you would like me to take a look at.

FYI - I have my quick and dirty AX-12 test program up on github (https://github.com/KurtE/AX12_Test/) which has a bunch of random tests, but I use it to do things like scan for servos, I can also configure as if a Hexapod or Quad, or HROS1, such that it knows which servos to expect...

Images

Oh maybe this thread is a better one to say thanks Kurt.. Your work here is helpful to me
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

Thought I would reiterate here as - it is a sticky thread. that there are decent ways to install Arbotix files for current versions of
    Arduino. The current version is 1.8.5

Going back to basics...

I used Ticians way to install the hardware stuff, from the thread:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...+1.6#post76461

First you go to the Arduino Software download page: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
    And download the appropriate version for your system

Basically add a place to look for board installs:
    Code:
    https://tician.github.io/arbotix/package_trossen_arbotix_index.json
    You can use this install like other typical Arduino board installs. That is you startup the Arduino IDE and then you bring up the Preferences dialog (from the File menu). Near the bottom, of this dialog you will see a prompt:
    Code:
    Additional Boards Manager URLs:
    Enter the above path into here. If you have multiple such paths, they are separated by commas. You then OK out of this dialog. Anytime I update something like this I exit Arduino and then restart it (probably not necessary). You then go to the Tools menu->Board menu and then select the Boards Manager, which should bring up the boards Manager dialog. If you scroll through this list, you should see an Item, that says "Arbotix AVR Boards by tician", choose the more info highlighted text and then choose to install the current version.

You then should be able to go to the Tools->Boards menu and choose the Arbotix-M board.

Note: I am probably going to duplicate @ticians install stuff onto my github account (kurte) and maybe generate a slightly updated version. Some of the default things I would like to add include:
    a) Add support for the Arduino ISP Programmer that Trossen sells. Was in their earlier verison. I added this to the top of the installed programmers.txt
    Code:
    avrispmkiis.name=AVRISP mkII (serial)
    avrispmkiis.communication=serial
    avrispmkiis.protocol=stk500v2
    avrispmkiis.program.tool=avrdude
    avrispmkiis.program.extra_params=-P{serial.port}
    b) Probably some of the default AVR libraries, as when you install this way where your files go into the arduino15 directory, the default AVR specific libraries (Where you installed arduino)/are not available. That is on my Linux machine I am testing this, the default AVR specific libraries were installed in: :~/Desktop/arduino-1.8.5/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries
    This included EEPROM library. So building Phantom_Phoenix failed, with unable to locate EEPROM.h

Better yet would be for Trossen to do this on some official location like the Interbotix site or Interbotix github location.

I may also want to make sure I have versions of my AX12 test program and Phantom_Phoenix where are configured and tested on this configuration... Not sure if it should include them or not...

Note: there are some differences on how these version of the Arbotix and Bioloid libraries that is causing some issues with my programs that I would like to localize and resolve. These were mentioned in a different thread.

5. Re: ArbotiX 1.6 Files / Libraries

Thanks for that! makes life a bit easier and I think I'm finally getting somewhere...

How does one get rid of the EEPROM.h error though???
    is it a case of finding the EEPROM.h core file and placing it in the phoenix file or something?

As I mentioned in b) above, I was going to copy the EEPROM files into the libraries folder of where the package installs things.
    For my Linux setup, they would go into: :~/.arduino15/packages/arbotix/hardware/avr/0.0.2/libraries

Again I would just copy the ones out of the default Arduino Avr install. In this case they came from:
    ~/Desktop/arduino-1.8.5/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries

7. Re: ArbotiX 1.6 Files / Libraries

Perfect! Worked perfectly, and compiled. Successfully uploaded to the PhantomX.

Now to update the commander, and it should work from there right?

Hopefully. There version of the Arbotix library works differently than my main ones... There were some issues with differences in messages.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thread Information