Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Toaster oven or Skillet?

Cheap Toaster oven or Skillet?

I am thinking about trying out using a stencil on one of my boards, so I ordered one from OSH stencil,

Now wondering what is the easiest approach. I have seen some say Toaster oven others say Skillet.

So just wondering.

Also what paste do you recommend?

Up on PJRC one suggested: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1AX-ND/1160002

Thanks

Images

Re: Cheap Toaster oven or Skillet?

If you go with the low-temp tin-bismuth blend I mentioned a while back (I think it was in the YETIS thread), then you don't need anything except a low power heat gun like the sparkfun heaterizer. I've yet to try any oven method, but I have killed several boards with a skillet/hotplate because I did not have temperature control. Not only did the silkscreen darken before the solder paste melted, but the boards warped and then oozed a horrific black sludge that was earlier the adhesive holding the laminate together. A convection oven is probably the best choice since the forced airflow will help compared to just natural convection as in a plain toaster oven, and there are temperature control conversion kits for both oven types.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

I've successfully used toaster ovens with a temperature gauge.
    I have managed to reflow a board on an aluminum plate in a skillet on a gas range, but the alignment was so bad so I couldn't test whether the CPU survived.
    I vastly prefer steel stencils over mylar stencils. They cost a little more, but not much more (if you get them from Seeed or similar)

Images

oshstencils now offers 4mil stainless steel in addition to the regular 3mil and 5mil kapton.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    bleh

Thanks,

For my first attempt I ordered the kapton, and I expect it to be a build 1 or 2 boards only.

Toaster oven: Temperature control. Did you use the temp control in the oven example: https://www.amazon.com/Decker-TO1313...s=toaster+oven
    And simply set a temp for it?

Or Would you suggest I try doing it using the rework station: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10706
    So far I have not had much luck undoing stuff from boards with it, but I have not tried much either.

Will search through the YETIS thread.

Thanks again

Images

ChipQuik SMDLTLFP Solder Paste No-Clean Sn42/Bi57.6/Ag0.4
    Received my little jar from digikey in an aluminized bubble wrap bag with a 'colder than ice' pack, and what's left is sitting in the back of the fridge in a small glass tupperware container with a mulit-snap/tab/lever lid.

If you use the low temp stuff, then the rework station would be fine as I just used the heaterizer which provided plenty of heat to do repeated/sustained reflow without damaging the PCB. If using 'normal' paste (leaded or lead-free), then a cheap toaster oven would probably be the better choice. If you don't line up the stencil well with the PCB, use <0.8mm pitch components, and/or use overly large paste cutouts on large exposed pads, then you will likely have to do a bit of reflow anyway.
    bleh

Did you use the temp control in the oven example
    I actually used a relay with temp sensor made for this purpose. It had a timer with a minute or two of "soak" before peaking and then cooling.

Images

While not completely satisfied with the performance of my cheap oven it does get the job done for this sort of thing.. It's been modified a with a Zallus reflow controller but they don't seem to be available anymore. Probably cheaper ways of going about it if you wanna DIY but this was a convenient kit at the time.

I have limited knowledge on what paste works best but so far I haven't had any issues with this type that I keep stored in the fridge. https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-.../dp/B00TIC895Y
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

Also: The reason I like stainless is that the paste goes on so easily, even if I only make one :-)
    There's much less smudge than I had with Kapton.
    Any paste ought to work, and if you use leaded (in the US) then it will melt more easily than lead free, and all components these days are made to tolerate lead free solder temperature, so leaded makes for a nice safety margin.

Images

One really important thing to remember about leaded solders is that they flow much more readily, so they result in far more solder bridges than most lead-free solders when used with really fine pitch components. Part of the reason for the explosion in increasingly fine pitch components is because RoHS compliance required a shift away from the lead that limited the minimum pitch one could actually use while maintaining a decent yield of fully functional assembled boards. Tin whiskers are pretty much the only really big downside to lead-free solders since they can even penetrate conformal coatings, but most modern lead-free blends do not seem to have many issues other than those caused by an improper reflow profile.

The tin-bismuth-silver blend has an even larger safety margin with a melting point of 138[C]/281[F].
    bleh

Thread Information