Thread: IMU/ Accelerometer Position Tracking?

IMU/ Accelerometer Position Tracking?

So long story short, I'm building a puppet that needs to mimic my arm movement. I need a good way to track my hands. I was thinking using accelerometers and gyros to get the locations and rotation, and use IK to determine arm positioning.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Never really used gyros or accelerometers to manipulate things in physical space.
    Any help would be great.

Re: IMU/ Accelerometer Position Tracking?

You might take a look at teensy processors pjrc.com and look at the prop shield

Gyros give you relative movement, but not absolute orientation.
    Accelerometers are better, but are noisy when moving around.
    You might get the best results with a magnetometer (3D compass) as long as you can calibrate it correctly initially, and there's not other strong magnetic fields nearby.

Other solutions to arm tracking include:
    - Hacking a Microsoft Kinect, or similar PrimeSense sensor
    - Using a Leap Motion controller
    - Using hand-held controllers with absolute position/orientation (like the Vive VR controllers)
    - Using a camera and a number of colored balls attached to the arm, animation-motion-capture style

4. Re: IMU/ Accelerometer Position Tracking?

I think the Bosch BN0055 is the best solution for something like this. It does most of the heavy lifting in calculating absolute orientation. Here it is in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ESsEXsImuc

as of right now, the biggest problem i have is that this "puppet" needs to be worn. So camera tracking would be complicated. essentially the puppet consists of two arms that mimic the movement of the actual arms.
    I would like to try the absolute position controller method (hacking VR controllers) but as of right now my budget is set low.
    $2k right now is the budget, and the person commissioning me still hasn't even purchased the puppet materials (ie the foam and so forth)

I've been racking my brain for a month now and still got bupkis.

Images

If it is to be worn, why not simply add some sort of angle sensor to each relevant joint? Could even build the wearable 'exoskeleton' from AX-12 to provide additional haptic feedback if the puppet/marionette provides it. That would essentially be a larger scale version of one of the intermediate projects for the Instructional Robotics course using a pair of Gerwalk (one master and one marionette), and something I have though about building on previous occasions.

If you want to go 'hardcore' MechE, you could even design a cable system to transfer all of the movements from wearer to puppet. Not really for the faint of heart, but certainly doable. One of those many projects I've wanted to do but never gotten around to doing, is make to Mr. StayPuft and other large characters into wearable suits in the 3~4 meter height range. Fingers are easiest to actuate with wires, but elbows and other joints are possible although they may require electromechanical assistance if the puppet has a very large mass.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    If it is to be worn, why not simply add some sort of angle sensor to each relevant joint? Could even build the wearable 'exoskeleton' from AX-12 to provide additional haptic feedback if the puppet/marionette provides it. That would essentially be a larger scale version of one of the intermediate projects for the Instructional Robotics course using a pair of Gerwalk (one master and one marionette), and something I have though about building on previous occasions.
    I had completely forgotten AX-12+ had "motion cloning" i've got a box of AX-12s somewhere. fml i can't believe i forgot that.

Thread Information