Thread: My diy Quadruped! WIP

My diy Quadruped! WIP

Here is a small presentation fo my little friend. So far no name for it, so WIP it is.

The body is some kind of plywood that i got from a friend. I dont know what kind of wood it is, but its rigid and easy to cut with the laser.

Hardware: 12 pc RobotGeek 180 deg servos, teensy 3.1 with the phoenix code (Thanks a lot to the good people that made it!!) and a cheap ssc32 knock-off. The robot body is to small for the ssc32 while prototyping. Will get a ssc32 usb for it later on.

The most challenging part of this project is the remote controll and the wireless. Currently used is the PS2 wireless gamepad, but thats kind of booring. So I have made my own version. Still programming it so I guess I dont get to run the full project next week in Sweeden (Im Norwegian) at the Stockholm Robot Championship.

The remote is a custom box with a couple of 3 axis joysticks (x, y & z pluss a button), inside is a Raspberry Pi 3 and the original 7 inch touch screen (a really great screen) and a ADC based on the mcp3008. Everything is programmed in Python and Kivy. The remote is talking to the robot using wi-fi and the MQTT protocoll, the robot will use a Esp8266 esp 07 or 12e, just the small unit but just now a NodeMcu.

This is my frst complete project ever, ok, its still not complete, but I have worked on this project without starting new projects for almost 2 years and thats a new record for me! I got the attentionspan of a squirrel....

There has been a lot of new things to learn, I have a OK vocabular in Arduino (c++ -ish) but this is first project using Linux, Python and Kivy.

Thanks to all that has helped me so far, I will probably need more help before Im done with this, so thanks in advance!

Ready position
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-11-03 14.51.56.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	6739

Stretching the legs a bit

Name:	2016-11-03 14.53.19.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	6740

Bot and remote (sorry for low quality image)

Name:	2016-10-22 14.36.38.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	6738

This is the first look at the remote app, need to implement the python - mqtt code. The App will be a lot cooler in a while, just need to learn python and kivy first!

Name:	2016-11-05.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	6741

Re: My diy Quadruped! WIP

That looks great! Almost a bit steampunk with that wooden+tech look :-)

Re: My diy Quadruped! WIP

That steampunk look is not a coincidental happening, I love that style of things. My son and I made this hat as a project at school. Neopixel LED's with several programmed pattern's.

Name:	SteamPunkHat.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	6786

Thread Information