Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MX-Phoenix hexapod and some more

Images

MX-Phoenix hexapod and some more

Hi,

It's been a while.. Well, time just seem to disappear when kids, family and work require the most of you.

Not so creative title.. and what to call my current project isn't that important really. I did start on a simple hexapod design a couple of years ago, that ended due to some distractions and suddenly my Autodesk 123D files disappeared from the "sky".

Meanwhile I've been working on a new gait-algorithm for hexapod robots (codename DynaZgait). I did post some short vids on my Instagram. Earlier this year I decided to learn 3D printing and bought a very cheap Wanhao Duplicator i3. I've done all of the most common modifications and upgrades. So far I'm satisfied with the result and print quality.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	6756
    As you can see I've even added an extra heater in the cabinet, useful when printing ABS during the cold winter.

Another project was a new remote controller based on the code used on the Arbotix Commander 2.

Name:	NewDIYremote_8x6_04.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	6749
    My next plan for a remote is make a much smaller one using some other very nice 3-axis gimbals from Turnigy.

Name:	80303s1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	6750

When it comes to CAD I'm a bit noob. At first I tried Autodesk 123D, but I found a bit to limiting. Then I moved over to Inventor and found that OK, but a bit cumbersome.. After that I tried Fusion 360 and found it to be a really awesome tool and easy to use/learn.

So far I've designed a small and simple hexapod body containing a 3S 5000mAh LiPo, Teensy3.6 + Kurt's T3.1 breakoutboard and the coxa servos (MX-64).

Name:	MXPhoenix_iso-view.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	6751
    The CAD images is a bit easier to see than the photos (poor light). The battery simply slide inside the body between the body sections:

Name:	MXPhoenix-batt-tray.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	6752

A couple of photos of the final result:

Name:	MXPhoenix.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	6753
    The body sections are printed in ABS and "Acetone vapor-treated". The final result is very strong and solid.

Name:	MXPhoenix_Batt.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	6754

Next step is the leg design. I'm planning to first use the Interbotix Tibia's as a Femur, lol.

Name:	HW-64106TIBIA-a.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	6755
    A question: Does anyone know where to get 3D files (.stl) of this bracket? I've already bought six of them but it would be nice to import them into Fusion 360 at first. I'm planning to design the Tibia's on CAD and print them in ABS.

In the future I'll move over to a more advanced hexapod design. With limited free time available I just have to learn CAD a lot more and this project is a good start.

I hope to keep posting progress now and then..
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Re: MX-Phoenix hexapod and some more

That looks great. The ABS seems to have come out all shiny from the vapor treatment :-)

Images

Looks awesome so far!

You can find that tibia model in a HR-OS5 repo ( https://github.com/Interbotix/HROS5-.../Assembly_STEP )
    or https://github.com/Interbotix/ros_hr...keleton/visual
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

Pretty cool stuff! Glad your make great progress. I keep meaning to get back to my hexapod, but keep finding other things to occupy my time.

Kurt

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    That looks great. The ABS seems to have come out all shiny from the vapor treatment :-)
    Thanks! I'm not 100% satisfied with the acetone vapor result. The lower part of the upper body section got a bit to much, I believe I need to improve the method to make sure vapor cover the print more evenly. Nasty stuff though..

Thanks for the link R3n33! I now have the tibia/femur part available.

Thanks Kurt, the most important is to have fun! Recently I got several of these cheap displays:

Name:	Display.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	6757
    I read a guy on the PJRC forum called Sumotoy used them regarding ILI9163. I noticed that you also was very active regarding ILI9341. I really need to play with this to learn what you guys are doing. Reading his post this display might be a ST7735.

Have fun!
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Sounds like fun display. Pardon the slight hijack here

Sumotoy has done some good stuff with his display drivers. Yes the ILI9641 has been a great little cheap disiplay. I usually purchase them from PJRC (why buy them in bulk and then test them to verify they work).
    Simple display(http://pjrc.com/store/display_ili9341.html) for $8 and one with touch support (http://pjrc.com/store/display_ili9341_touch.html) for $12.

There is really fast driver ili0341_t3 for it and now a couple of variations of it. One by a member that enable DMA spi on it, which basically creates a DMA buffer the size of the display (only works on T3.5 and more T3.6). The graphic primitives go to memory and DMA code just keeps updating the screen as fast as possible... Works great for his demo to read in a video and display.

I have my own variation ili9341_t3n: which does a couple of different things. My initial reason was to allow me to run them on any of the SPI buses, so I created a SPI class (SPIN), that abstracts the currently up to three SPI buses into virtual functions and then used that with the display code. Also handled that not all SPI buses have the same capabilities, only SPI0 has 4 entry queue the others have 1 entry... More recently I liked the idea of Frame Buffer, but not necessarily DMA at least current version. So I added support for that... Still working out the bugs. Currently integrating some other users improvements (Pull request for main library), to enable setting the drawing origin and setting a clipping rectangle...

I am also playing with a board design (actually a few different ones), The one right now is the same size as the Touch display, which is setup to mount on one side, on the other side, T3.6, LoRa wireless, Sound amplifier and speaker, and a few other things. Will use on my very slow to be done well monitoring stuff. Having a new bunch fabricated at Seeedstudio right now.
    Current one:

Name:	TGST-Assembled.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	6758
    I mention this, as I think it might be interesting to make a remote control, with something like this. Would have a really long range and probably not as much headaches as XBee...

Again great stuff and sorry for the Hijak :lol:

Kurt

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post

I am also playing with a board design (actually a few different ones), The one right now is the same size as the Touch display, which is setup to mount on one side, on the other side, T3.6, LoRa wireless, Sound amplifier and speaker, and a few other things. Will use on my very slow to be done well monitoring stuff. Having a new bunch fabricated at Seeedstudio right now.
    Current one:

Name:	TGST-Assembled.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	6758
    I mention this, as I think it might be interesting to make a remote control, with something like this. Would have a really long range and probably not as much headaches as XBee...
    Hi,
    I'm sorry for my very late reply. I've been sick for the past 3 weeks, mostly due to a surgery.. But when I've had some good moments I've prioritized to do make some progress on my project.

That's no hijacking at all Kurt. I mentioned the display with you in mind especially, so I'm glad for your input. It sure sounds interesting to have a better option than the XBee's. I do have some plans of a new remote and I want to use a rather small display due to small space. If you ever decide to make a remote using LoRa I would be very interested to follow/join.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Hi Kåre,

I hope you are feeling better!

Will keep you in mind if/when I startup doing a remote. When that time comes it will be great to go others inputs as well. For example if I go with LoRa or the like, should the remote have one or two? ...

My V0.2 version of the board above arrived a couple of days ago from Seeedstudio. The additional parts arrived yesterday, now I just need to get busy soldering. Likewise my RPI hat I need to build the newer version.

Yesterday I started playing with the daughter board for the display to use to monitor when current is flowing or not. At first I thought I screwed up, as I was mostly just reading 1.6v (more or less), but then remembered I needed to deal with it being an AC like signal, so doing a quick and dirty rms'ish calculation which looks like it should work fine.

Again I hope you are feeling better!

Images

Hi again,

I thought it was about time to post some more information about what I've done so far.
    Getting .stp files for the Interbotix Tibia helped a lot. About 10 days ago I designed a tibia using Fusion 360. I'm pretty sure there are more effective ways to do it, but at least I ended up with something I would like to try:

Name:	MX-Phoenix-v35_1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	6768

Name:	MX-Phoenix-v35_2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	6770

In the future I might try to design some shell/covers that are more curved for the femur part (Interbotix Tibia bracket). I did an attempt to add a simple foot sensor/switch made of some few parts:

Name:	MX-Phoenix-Foot-CloseUp.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	6769

After designing the tibia I couldn't wait to try printing it. I was very curious and excited to see how the final result would be. I'm still using the Cura slicer that came with the printer and my earlier experience with the support construction was very mixed, especially when printing ABS. Luckily the result came out very good, no warping at all. FYI I'm printing at 250C/100C and using a cabin with a heater set to 35C:

Name:	MX_Phoenix_10.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	6771

I was a bit unsure if I should go for a Aceton Vapor treatment again or not. This method sure has some con and pros, but at the end the part will become stronger. So, after about 3 days of printing all parts was ready for the next step. For Aceton Vapor treatment I'm using a big pot where the sides are covered with some cloths. This is some really nasty stuff that require good ventilation and personal protection (mask and gloves). I'm doing this process outdoor in my garage. A picture of my pot..:

Name:	MX_Phoenix_11.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	6772
    If you want know more about this process there are tons of information about this on different forums/blogs/youtube. I was not 100% pleased with the result though (still learning). But its gonna work I think. A picture of the result:

Name:	MX_Phoenix_12.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	6773

When I connected the servo-wire from the femur to the coxa servo I decided to make a simple wire guide/protector under the C-bracket:

Name:	CabelHolder-v2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	6774

Name:	MX_Phoenix_13.jpg 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	6775

Name:	MX_Phoenix_14.jpg 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	6776

I'm still not finished with all the mounting stuff since I'll probably have the femur and servos free with no brackets attached at first. I need to do several changes to the code first and I don't want to break anything when testing the code for the first time. Safety first..

I've mounted the legs just temporarily with a couple of screws just to see how it would look like. Here are some better pics:

ISO-view

Name:	MX_Phoenix_18.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	6777
    Curled up

Name:	MX_Phoenix_16.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	6778
    Standing (with support)

Name:	MX_Phoenix_20.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	6779

Name:	MX_Phoenix_22.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	6780

A close-up of the foot-switch, I'm using an anodized aluminium rod, 3D-printed washer and stopper, and a rubber 3M knob:

Name:	MX_Phoenix_23.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	6781

MX-Phoenix vs. the original Phoenix:

Name:	MX_Phoenix_24.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	6782

Name:	MX_Phoenix_25.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	6783

And versus PhantomX MKI:

Name:	MX_Phoenix_26.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	6784

Name:	MX_Phoenix_27.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	6785

Maybe not that big difference? The total weight is 4,72kg. My goal was under 5,5kg so I'm pretty satisfied with that.

The next step is the next step..
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Looks pretty big to me :-)

Thread Information