Thread: And again one of the avrdude errors

1. And again one of the avrdude errors

Hi guys,

I´m trying to upload a new sketch onto my PhantomX MarkIII. But for some reason this does not work.

I´m using the custom ArbotiX-M board and I´m trying to upload via FTDI cable.
    Possible mistakes I´ve already double-checked: the jumper is set on USB (not VIN), the XBEE is not connected, I chose the right board and the right port. I´ve reinstalled the FTDI drivers.

Right now I can´t think of any other possible mistakes, but still I get the following error:

Code:
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf8
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x78
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x78
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x78
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x78
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x78
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x78
    Any further ideas?

Thanks

Re: And again one of the avrdude errors

You mentioned a few of the things I would suggest.

Always helps to know a little more info, like which type of computer/OS, what version of Arduino...

You mentioned you have the right board type and Comm port.

Things I would suggest to try:
    a) Make sure FTDI cable is plugged in right. That is it is in the right direction and on not shifted down a pin (or two)
    b) Again make sure XBee is removed from board. Likewise verify that you have power on the board.

c) Have you programmed this board before? If so how? Could have the bootloader been overwritten? This can happen if you use a hardware programmer to update the board before.

d) I have had one of the FTDI/XBEE cables (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/uartsbee) that shipped with the PhantomX fail. Do you have a different one try?

e) I find it much easier and better with these boards to use an USB Programmer like http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/USB...rogrammer.aspx. You can use it without having to remove the XBee

Sorry not much else I can think of.

3. Re: And again one of the avrdude errors

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    Always helps to know a little more info, like which type of computer/OS, what version of Arduino...
    I´m using Windows 10 and Arduino 1.6.13

a) Make sure FTDI cable is plugged in right. That is it is in the right direction and on not shifted down a pin (or two)
    b) Again make sure XBee is removed from board. Likewise verify that you have power on the board.
    I´ve done both (several times) still not working.

c) Have you programmed this board before? If so how? Could have the bootloader been overwritten? This can happen if you use a hardware programmer to update the board before.
    Yes, I´ve programmed the board before. Just like I tried today. Only thing I´ve changed, is that before I´ve been using an Arduino as FTDI Adapter (as desricbed here http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...-a-FTDI-Progr/), which worked fine, but today finally my FTDI-USB cable arrived and everything stopped working. (looks kinda like this one http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cab...BTTLSerial.htm but I can´t find a link to the real thing)

How could I have overwritten the bootloader? That might be it... And what am I going to do against it?

Might use the version with not removing the XBees in the future, but somewhere it was written, that this is prone to mistkaes, since something might interfere with the radio waves during transmitting, thus I´ve never tried it, and till now using the FTDI connection worked well...

Thanks for your thoughts

Images

Re: And again one of the avrdude errors

The 'do not bother to remove Xbee' method uses the 6-pin AVR-ISP header to directly program the ATmega644p of the arbotix-m and because it bypasses the bootloader it will not care about any data being pushed over the Xbee/FTDI UART when programming. It can also be used to re-upload the bootloader to the arbotix-m. An arduino can be used as an AVR-ISP programmer if you upload the correct sketch to it: "Examples->11.ArduinoISP->ArduinoISP.ino" as of IDE version 1.8.0.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

5. Re: And again one of the avrdude errors

Guess I´m going to work with the AVR-ISP interface from now on.

But as well I´m gonna try to restore the functionality of the USB-FTDI port, cause I might need it later on.

Can you tell me where to find the correct bootloader?
    I googled it, and this is what I found:
    http://www.mikrocontroller.net/artic...eter_Dannegger
    which sounds like the right thing to me, but since I´m no expert, I´m not quite sure.
    It says it´s compatible with ATmega644, which would be the right board.

6. Re: And again one of the avrdude errors

Forgot about it. Found the bootloader file in the arbotix hardware files...

Thread Information