Thread: Building a Nuclear Decommissioning Robot (Masters Project & Video Documentation)

1. Building a Nuclear Decommissioning Robot (Masters Project & Video Documentation)

Hello, I am a masters engineering student and my final year dissertation group project is the design, building and programming of a prototype robotics system for nuclear decommissioning. I have started video logging the entire process, links below. Hopefully this is of interest to some of you here, feel free to let me know what you think and I will try and answer any questions.

I'm going to update this as I post more videos and I should be able to share the final report at the end.

Episode 1: Introduction
    Episode 2: Chassis Fabrication
    Episode 3: Update Video

Link to the playlist: (Playlist)
    Last edited by Andrew788; 02-21-2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: improved links

2. Re: Building a Nuclear Decommissioning Robot (Masters Project & Video Documentation)

Episode 3: Update Video

Re: Building a Nuclear Decommissioning Robot (Masters Project & Video Documentation)

Wild Thumper chassis! I ran one of those in RoboGames a few years ago. Nice chassis.
    I made a mod where I cut some extra clearance for the inner wheel pair, and added Pololu 25D motors with encoders, which let me drive much straighter and with more precision than dead reckoning would give me.
    Doesn't look like you're planning on that? If you do SLAM based on the camera in the Pi, you may not need it.

4. Re: Building a Nuclear Decommissioning Robot (Masters Project & Video Documentation)

Yeah we were very impressed with it when we drove it around.

We ordered a model with a set of encoders already on the middle wheels, I'm planning to double check these with IMU data (integrate acceleration twice to get displacement) and then use that in the SLAM algorithm along with the LIDAR scanner. We've got a camera more for remote opperation than autonomous navigation.

Re: Building a Nuclear Decommissioning Robot (Masters Project & Video Documentation)

My prediction is the encoders will be even more accurate than the IMU, but with the right EKF, adding more sensors will generally be at least slightly better!

6. Re: Building a Nuclear Decommissioning Robot (Masters Project & Video Documentation)

I would suspect so as well, however I'm going to be trying to make the system robust enough to work on uneven surfaces. Using the IMU data will allow me to ensure that the wheels aren't spinning when they're not in contact with the floor, the chassis design makes it unlikely but it is definitely still possible. I'm also using the IMUs to position the LIDAR scan, i.e. if the robot is tilted to one side then it'll be aware of it and still add the scan data correctly. So since they're on the robot anyway I may as well use them.

Thread Information