Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Onyx X build thread

Re: Onyx X build thread

I had a picture of the turret mounted, and approximately all the necessary bits and pieces in place (modulo a few screws, some solder, and some polycarbonate to protect things.)

Then I looked at it, and realized that no human being can actually tell anything from the picture; it's just too much of a mess of things, blending in with the workbench mess of things.

If you like playing Where is Waldo, here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	onyx-x-all-pieces.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	6952

Aiming for a fully assembled test tonight, the gun cycle sensor didn't work.
    There are 45 bolts and 2 cables to remove to get at where it's connected.
    While I have it apart, i should probably hit all connections with some glue (especially pin header ones)

Is shoe goo going to dissolve the nylon housings and vinyl sheaths, or do you think that will work O K?

Images

I would think it would be ok; and it would be quick work to test it. I use a daub of RTV myself.

I dabbed some Shoe Goo on each of my connectors (except the Dynamixel SPOX connectors; those seem solid) this morning; we'll see tonight whether that was ill advised or not
    Also, the goal for tonight is a qualifying video for both 'mechs. Obsidian (my daughter's mech) should be able to pass right now, although it doesn't yet have a good solution for scoring panels. Onyx X needs to be re-assembled and re-tested, but that "should only" take "an hour."

shoegoo doesn't damage the connector plastic. It also can be picked off after It cures. Obsidian can borrow loaner target plates at Robogames for the matches. You can try out the mechanical interface for Obsidian with one of the plates you have now. If you are missing transponder cards or Xbee radios there will be some extras at Robogames that we will bring that you can borrow.

Great news on the shoe goo!

Yes, we're planning on using the validated plates at the game; we're using the ones you sent for fit and some others I built for full integration testing.
    I also already got a transponder of the new kinds, so I'm all set! (Well, apart from not having a 'bot that can make a qualification video yet ;-)

Obsidian's main problem is that it's based on the PhantomX Mk II quadruped, which doesn't have a convenient flat side to mount the panels against. She's trying different 3D printed parts to make a fit, without pushing them too far towards the legs such that the legs would bump into the plates. Although she already professed a love of duct tape, should all else fail ...

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Obsidian's main problem is that it's based on the PhantomX Mk II quadruped, which doesn't have a convenient flat side to mount the panels against. She's trying different 3D printed parts to make a fit, without pushing them too far towards the legs such that the legs would bump into the plates. Although she already professed a love of duct tape, should all else fail ...

Along with the team-built mech, I plan to bring a refitted phantomX mkII I used in 2013. Calling it Joshua. Still haven't worked out panel mounting. Curious to see what you two come up with. Actually, also curious how you are doing on servo load with that frame. I had to double up my knee servos to avoid overheating in 2013.

also curious how you are doing on servo load with that frame
    Yeah, there's a mod I did before and we're keeping. I don't have super great pictures of it, but perhaps this helps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phantom-knees.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	6953

The idea is to have a "spool" screwed into the servo horn using the same screws as the brackets.
    The "spool" acts as the pivot/center of some torsion springs.
    There are then additional mount points for these torsion springs to push against on the brackets.

I made those parts in ... 2015? They seem to work alright, giving just enough push to not overheat the servos.
    I actually have some slightly stronger torsion springs in the toolbox, too, should that be needed.
    At that point, the servos are actually pushing the other way to get the robot to stand at rest :-)

The aluminum brackets used as the push point for these springs are the main clearance hazard we have for the scoring panels; there "should" be enough space to fit everything and walk without bumping our own panels. We'll also need to trim the legs of the torsion springs a bit; they poke out too much right now!

The "spool" is actually two parts, the inner part has M2 mounting holes to screw it in and clearance for the screwdriver; the outer part is a "lid" that screws on to a threaded inner hole on the inner "spool." One of the first times I used designed-in threaded holes in anger on a precision part and lived to tell about it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    The aluminum brackets used as the push point for these springs are the main clearance hazard we have for the scoring panels; there "should" be enough space to fit everything and walk without bumping our own panels. We'll also need to trim the legs of the torsion springs a bit; they poke out too much right now!
    Thanks for the info. My clearance issues are even worse; I have a whole ax-12 in the same spot. I think I will have to put the panels above the chassis and have a comically tall turret.... again.

Thread Information