Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ALTAIR Robot Chronicles

Re: The ALTAIR Robot Chronicles

@jwatte, The top camera is an Omron HVC-P2 Human vision Sub-system it incorporates 10 algorithms of the OKAO(TM) Vision Image Sensing Technology these are:- 1) Face Detection, 2) Human Body Detection, 3) Gender Estimation, 4) Age Estimation, 5) Gaze Estimation, 6) Facial Pose Estimation, 7) Face Recognition, 8) Expression Estimation (satisfied, unsatisfied, five different expressions: happiness, surprise, anger, sadness and neutral), 9) Hand Detection, 10) Blink Estimation. The P2 sends real time data to a PIC in the head which then stabilizes the vision data by the use of median filters - The PIC then decides if the latest scan data has anything new and if so packets it all up for a single send to the robots master controller.

The thermal imager is a 9 pixel thermopile, the long range IR ranger is a Sharp GP2Y0A02YKOF

The sound localization system has a custom PIC that enables sound to be located with an accuracy of 3 degrees.

The eyes are 8x8 LED matrix which are diffused - the EZ:1 has 32 eye animations. The eyes, eye rims, cheeks and mouth animations are all controlled by an emotion PIC which is a slave to the heads master PIC controller. Thanks for your encouraging words.

Tony

Oh, I didn't know Omron had an integrated component like that. Most such systems I've seen have used a separate computer/camera running available OpenCV code for those algorithms. (There's even an open source kickstarter camera like that now, although it doesn't integrate all the algorithms at once: https://openmv.io/ )

(I also like that the Omron marketing says that a use for this is to detect who is in a room and set the A/C to the level preferred by that person. I wish the A/C at our office would know what to do about a room of 30 people, half of which think it's too warm, and half of which think it's too cool :-)

The sound localization algorithms I'm familiar with use autoconvolution to detect phase differences. Autoconvolution at a high sampling rate seems like it'd use more CPU power than a typical PIC can provide. Are you using a PIC with DSP assist, or are you using a simpler algorithm, like only detecting phase difference of identified peak samples?

Images

This is great. Nicely done.

@KevinO, thanks

@jwatte, I use cross-correlation with Fourier analysis. Cross-correlation calculations need lots of additions and multiplications that as you say suit DSP PICs. I wanted to use a regular PIC as I have no experience with DSPs, so found some ways to reduce the number of computations but still get an accurate result.

Tony

found some ways to reduce the number of computations but still get an accurate result
    That sounds cool! Good job.
    Is this robot your full time project?

@jwatte, Yes this is my present full time project, I have taken early retirement (I have been a toy inventor for the last 16 years) to try to get the ALTAIR robots to a commercially viable point. I would like one day to get this tech good enough to be able to help our elderly social care, but that is probably a long way off.

Tony

I would like one day to get this tech good enough to be able to help our elderly social care, but that is probably a long way off.
    Might be closer than you think; there's many people sharing your belief!
    http://www.cataliahealth.com/about-us/
    http://www.toyota-global.com/innovat...ot/family.html
    You can view this as evidence you're on the right track :-)

@jwatte, thanks for the informative links.

Here is a jpeg showing the EZ:1 sensors in detail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALTAIR_22.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	6903

Tony

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apes.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	6958 The ALTAIR Robot Chronicles [Part 4] - 2017: A Robot/Ai Odyssey - when ALTAIR and Alexa met HAL9000

Building Robots should be fun too so Part 4 takes us into the World of science fiction (HAL9000) and science fact with ALTAIR EZ:1 and Alexa

I hope some of you will have seen the amazing film "2001 A Space Odyssey" where the Dawn of Man scenes involved a mysterious Monolith and we meet the legendary HAL9000 Ai - this movie was way ahead of its time, first shown in 1969 yet it still looks totally new and modern today!

Thread Information