I'm working on a new quad. No random inspirations, so it's simply Numa V2. I've been working on this very sparingly since November 2016. It's a long shot whether I'll finish this in the next 2 months, with work being busy, plus a fine girlfriend to keep me busy on the weekends too. (ahh, the anti-social days past of grad school when I built Numa, Twitch, and TwitchMX...)

The big thing I wanted to do differently is to try out MicroPython. There's a bunch of boards out there. The one that I found first that seemed to have what I wanted (lots of breakout pins, specifically; and lots of UARTs and smaller than the Axon) is the HydraBus. I got it for cheap, too; probably thanks to clearing inventory of the V1.1 board on Amazon.

The other new thing, which I actually started first, back in November, is my adaptation of the R-Team "auto-cannon" auto-BB-loader. I made a janky prototype, with a Pololu Micro metal gearmotor controlled by an Axon Mote PWM'ing a Pololu VN5019 breakout. Bunch of pictures of that attached.

Now for the horrifying part... Code? I'm manually converting Numa's C code to the Python3-like Micropython and its libraries. Fortunately the hard parts of the code that I've always depended on others to do is already done by the Hyland brothers (namely libaries like AX-12 control):
- https://github.com/dhylands/bioloid3
- https://github.com/JonHylands/roz (mainly serves as an example that uses bioloid3 library)

Last night, I finally got rid of all the tracebacks in my code (tedious because I debug by running the code, rather than at least compiling first; I really need to set up the linux version of MicroPython for quicker testing, I think), and had it running the main loop.

Tonight, I hooked up the XBee and Numa's old turret servos, and voila, they move with my Arbotix Commander! (Though somehow I ended up swapping the pan and tilt servos in code )


The other changes:
- Bigger base, so score panels fit between leg servos
- Probably 3DoF per leg isntead of 4
- Two levels of body; much lighter turret design once I start working on that.
- Going to modify my servos like I'm an R-Team member ... except I bought copper because I forgot that aluminum actually has higher thermal conductivity. Oh well $10 mistake.
- I'll stick to hand-cutting my carbon fiber base plates this time; water jetting took two months last time.

A bunch of pictures... from last year, before I'd decided on the Hydrabus. The prototype hopper uses old spare chassis plates that were made for the original Numa, as well as 3D printed parts of course. Hopefully on the next iteration, I fully resolve any jamming issues :|

Click to embiggen!
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NumaV2_01..jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	6874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NumaV2_07.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	6880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NumaV2_06.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	6879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NumaV2_05.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	6878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NumaV2_04.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	6877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NumaV2_03.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	6876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NumaV2_02.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	6875

I recently realized I probably shouldn't pipe the BBs out the center-back of the robot, as then the tube sligthly blocks the score panels.