Thread: 3D Printer Knowlege and advice for upgrading

1. 3D Printer Knowlege and advice for upgrading

Not sure if it is best to start a new conversation or continue here. so...

I am also thinking about jumping in and getting a 3d printer, so that I can at first print up some of the different parts for the HROS1 and for my PhantomXs. But not sure which one would be a good one to purchase for a first time printer...

For starters lets say for under 1000. If however it turns out that there is one for $1200 that is so vastly superior than...

Example a lot of reviews appear to like: http://www.3dprintmanual.com/best-cheap-3d-printers/

I am assuming a heated bed, sort of like the idea of being in an enclosure. Assume it supports PLA. Nice if was not totally restricted to vendors materials only, but not a deal breaker. My guess something like 8x8x8 would be great... single extrusion would probably work to learn with...

I see lots of different lists and reviews like: http://www.3dprintmanual.com/best-3d-printer-filament/
    But hard to know which to trust.

or maybe something like: http://www.3dprintmanual.com/best-3d-modeling-software/

Suggestions?

Re: 3D Printer Knowlege and advice for upgrading

A heated bed and enclosure is only needed for certain materials. I've printed PLA for years without heated bed and without enclosure, and it works great!
    I recommend the Printrbot Simple Metal: http://amzn.to/2mnvUKl
    It's $500 without the heated bed, $650 with, both come assembled and ready to print once you unpack and set them up!

Images

I'm not a 3D printer expert. It all depends what you plan to use it for. But I would definitely recommend a heated platform if you plan to use other materials than PLA. You can easily build your own enclosure/cabin later. If you need stronger and more durable parts ABS is a great material, but you need good ventilation. Then again other materials like PETG is more environmental friendly.

The latest Prusa i3 MKII printer looks great and Fusion 360 is a great CAD program.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Thumbs up Re: 3D Printer Knowlege and advice for upgrading

Quote Originally Posted by Zenta View Post

The latest Prusa i3 MKII printer looks great and Fusion 360 is a great CAD program.
    Think thats a great start!
    I have a Ultimaker orginal +, but a prusa is at my wish list
    I chose a bowden printer cause i read it could print faster, but i dont use high speed settings as often.
    Direct drive gives better extrution, especially for soft filaments.
    I like the heated bed. After i discovered the plastidip spray on sand blasted glass bed, I only use the heated bed just for other materials then PLA

And Fusion360 is awesome!!

First post

I need to get back to my 3d printer and print some stuff out... Maybe print out a Chip-E...

In case anyone is interested, there is a pretty cheap printer being done on Kickstarter.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...in/description

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    In case anyone is interested, there is a pretty cheap printer being done on Kickstarter.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...in/description
    Which I'm in for a Deluxe (PEI heated bed and OLED screen) with filament detector and single extruder. Gonna make me some gearboxes, LED PCB holders, and a bigger, sturdier, faster printer with volcano-size hardened steel nozzle (and possibly a cast SiO2 thermal break in the hot-end).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Hi Tician,

I ended up ordering about the same setup as you mentioned (I am in the October batch). So far I have not added the filament detector. I still have the other printer but thought that when I am busy trying to print something there are times i need multiple.

Looks like it turned into a popular Kickstarter as their goal was $100K, and they are now over $600K, which unlocked some new stretch goals/rewards, like now it will include a cooling fan... Also now have option $50 for dual extruder.

Edit: I decided add the filament detector...
    Last edited by KurtEck; 06-19-2017 at 01:29 PM.

What I learned yesterday: If you print a thing with good dimensions in PLA, and then let it sit in a hot car for a week, it will shrink by a significant amount!

Thread Information