Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mech Warfare Scoring Transponder 2017

Re: Mech Warfare Scoring Transponder 2017

The transponder board I have, has a 8-switch DIP switch bar for setting the ID.
    It looks like the 2012 doesn't have that, so I imagine that's why the note says the new firmware is only compatible for 2013 and up.
    I imagine you will have to latch on to a competitor ID and let us all know what it is so we can avoid it :-)

Separately, yes, Xbees actually have a unique serial number, and the chance of two competitors colliding if we pick the lowest byte out of that will be 1:255 :-)

Images

Ohh, I had forgotten about the DIP switch version. Thanks!

I have PM'ed artans, as I think ordering the new version is just the best way to get this taken care of.

As a reminder, we'll be providing the target panels during matches during. For RoboGames you're responsible for getting a Scoring Transponder, LED board (new Ones or the old ones from 2013 are okay), and any wiring/harnessing between the transponder and target panel/led boards.

The scoring panels and new transponders use the Dynamixel connector. You can build the harnessing or buy it.
    Trossen sells the Dynamixel cable wiring. Pick the length you want.
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/100...-Cable-10-Pack

This is a picture of the new LED board.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170312_111108.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	6900
    I can provide them to you or you can make them yourself.
    https://github.com/ghengisdhon/rbots...er/LED%20Board

Update on transponders. I've received some transponder bare PCBs from Oshpark and I'll be putting them together when I can sometime this week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170312_110626.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	6901

I should get transponders from MacroFab by the end of the month.

The wiring harness is new!

I happen to have Dynamixel-to-3pin cables, that I had made with the batch of Onyx Fire boards. Those plug into the 2013 transponder fine. I presume those would count as wiring harness, as long as the cable is long enough...

Of course, making a board that translates isn't hard either, but adds more stuff that needs to fit on the 'bot. I'm really not a fan of 19 little boards :-)

Aaaanyway: Are you perhaps also making scoring panels for sale? I'd love to have some to try with before the competition, and I'm not sure I'll have time to make my own, especially with the surface mount piezo board.

We've found a issue with the new 2017 transponder over the weekend. With the new target plates with LEDs, hitting one target plate is fine but if you hit two target plates at once due to ricochets it's enough to brown out the transponder. The flaw is in the regulator part that I picked, it turns out the higher the input voltage you have the less current it can output. When the input voltage is lowered to ~6 VDC, the 2017 transponder works fine. The regulator can also be powered off the FTDI connector or ISP connector with 5V to bypass the regulator.

Current it's recommended that you use the 2013 transponder or 2013 transponder r-team varient, it appears fine with hitting two of the LED target plates at once. If you want to use the 2017 transponder, lower the input voltage to 6V to maximize the current the 5V regulator can output. Generally don't run the transponder off your main battery power.

If you've asked me for a transponder, I can send you a 2013 transponder (r-team varient) or 2017 transponder. I'll send you a cheap chinese switching regulator board if you want the 2017 one to make up for the design flaw.

Or you can use a cheap American regulator:
    https://www.pololu.com/product/2844
    (I actually ended up putting that regulator on my mainboard to power the OpenCM, because it gets really hot when powered from 16V otherwise, even though the regulator they use is rated at 20V, it has the same heat dissipation issue.)

Or, just use a 6V linear regulator with more heat sinking, soldered to the cable... 'mech configuration is all about heat sinks, right? :-)

Images

Water cooling! No one else will have a mech with a radiator - I guarantee it!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Water cooling! No one else will have a mech with a radiator - I guarantee it!
    ...until I regain a consistent income...
    <thunderclap>
    muahahahahaaaa!
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Images

Depleted-uranium BB's? Of course it would be hard to explain why your BBs were going right through your opponent's target plates...

Surround the gun barrel with a water cooling jacket? Like WWI machine guns?

I need to look at the rules!

Images

More like cooling actuators than cooling weapons.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Thread Information