Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Using Arduino IDE 1.8.1 and Can't See My ArbotiX-M on the Board List

1. Question Question: Using Arduino IDE 1.8.1 and Can't See My ArbotiX-M on the Board List

Thank you all for your time...
    I've built a Phantom X Hexapod Mark III

This my first arduino rodeo. I've followed the instructions from the Trossen site and downloaded the file library zip file. I followed the file path and put the folders in place. I can see the arbotix folder in the hardware folder, but it doesn't show up in the board list within the Arduino IDE.

I'm running WIN8.1
    Arduino IDE 1.8.1

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Re: Question: Using Arduino IDE 1.8.1 and Can't See My ArbotiX-M on the Board List

Which instructions did you use?

The main instructions I believe still have you using Arduino 1.0.x release.

however I typically use later versions. Trossen was in the process of converting to the updates stuff, as described in the thread:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...ies&highlight=

Unfortunately I don't believe Kyle still works at Trossen and I am not sure if anyone has taken over for him.

3. Re: Question: Using Arduino IDE 1.8.1 and Can't See My ArbotiX-M on the Board List

So. I should ditch Arduino 1.8.1 and revert back to 1.6.x?

Re: Question: Using Arduino IDE 1.8.1 and Can't See My ArbotiX-M on the Board List

I had exactly the same issue. I then downloaded 1.0.6 as shown in the quick start guide:
    http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/arb...ck-start-guide
    Haven't yet tried the beta version for 1.6, but will give it a go.

Good luck with your build!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalTechTeacher View Post
    So. I should ditch Arduino 1.8.1 and revert back to 1.6.x?
    Note: their older stuff was for the 1.0.x stuff not the 1.6.x. Also side note I have purged the 1.0.x stuff from my main machines and so if anyone runs into issues, I suggest going up to newer builds.

As for 1.8.1 versus 1.6.x, think of the 1.8 as an extension to 1.6. In particular it was caused by
    Arduino.cc was doing the 1.6.x builds and arduino.org was doing the 1.7.x builds and at least for awhile and hopefully still they were cooperating again with each other (I have not been following much of this lately). So they wanted a build that hopefully worked for both camps and so went to 1.8...

6. Re: Question: Using Arduino IDE 1.8.1 and Can't See My ArbotiX-M on the Board List

Thank you all. I will revert to 1.0.x.

Images

So, I was rather bored this evening and decided to try doing a bit of prep work for possibly making the Teensy install via the board manager. Thus...

https://tician.github.io/arbotix/package_trossen_arbotix_index.json

The examples/pypose.ino sketch compiles fine, but no arbotix-m on hand to test it actually works. Uses the Arduino-1.8.0 AVR core with its programmer and platform files. The boards file is slightly modified from earlier version in the arbotix-1.5.0 repository. None of the libraries have been updated, so ax12 still uses custom control over the UART used by Serial1. I have built a DXL library (both v1 and v2 protocols) that takes a HardwareSerial object pointer as an argument, but not tested enough to push it to github.
    Last edited by tician; 05-11-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Sounds like a good thing.

It would be great if you started off with what Kyle had for Arduino 1.6.x which should work on 1.8.x... It is a modification of my 1.6 branch where it no longer does a complete duplicate of really really old stuff, probably some before arduino 1.0.x...

The files are up at: https://github.com/Interbotix/arbotix/tree/arduino-1-6

Images

Only the libraries, examples, bootloader, and variants (modified to fix 'const static' to 'static const') were preserved from my arbotix-1.5 repo. The core was copy-paste from 1.8.0, so the only custom code is in the libraries that I expect to soon update with versions that only use HardwareSerial objects.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    bleh

Images

Updated to 0.0.2 using libraries and examples merged from arduino-1-6. Hopefully everything works correctly. Might try adding the CM-510/700 later since they are just Mega2560 with different bootloader and lower pin count.
    bleh

Thread Information